Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Good idea to wait until late 2018 to see what DSG GTIs are slumbering on regional Dealer lots. A DSG test drive is a good idea too, just to be sure I can adapt.

I got an e-mail from Honda yesterday announcing that Felix The Fit needs a new passenger side airbag! Great. The Driver's side was done about 1-1/2 years ago and I wondered at the time how one bag was defective and the other not.

It took many months to get the Driver's bag part. I wonder if the wait is any shorter this time around? Since Felix doesn't live locally, I think we'll wait until summer to have the work done. I hope they don't mess up the dashboard or introduce a squeak while doing the work. :-(

Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
My thought on this is to get it fixed asap. At least get on the list. My guess is parts are not there waiting to be installed & by the time Felix gets to the shop the techs will be able to do this in their sleep.

I have a friend who had a MK6 GTI with DSG. She asked me to help her lay out a rally for the regional Austin Healey club. So I got to test drive her GTI with DSG on 5 or 6 days for 125 miles each day on southern Ohio back roads. A good thorough test drive. I know you won't be able to do that many miles, but several test drives at several dealers will help you get the feel.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 01-18-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i drove a c-class the last 2 days and boy the AT on that car sucked! was so happy getting back in my DSG GTI this am.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i drove a c-class the last 2 days and boy the AT on that car sucked! was so happy getting back in my DSG GTI this am.
I think Mercedes is fairly well known to have about the least sporty auto in the world. You can literally time the delay for downshifts after you click the paddle down.

A good friend had an E63. With that car, I'd live with the transmission. Other Merc's probably not.

The auto in our VW does what you ask when you ask it. The transmission reaction is nearly simultaneous with a click of the paddle up or down. My only complaint is I'm not fond of VW's programming. Not a fan of ours or of the DSG's in that there's no "normal" mode. D has it upshifting too early and downshifting too late. S has it set on kill on upshifts and revmatch downshifting when slowing.

I'd like something in between. End up having to take off in S and manually upshfift and then switch to D. More work than a something that's called an AUTOMATIC should require.

In comparison, the transmission in my Lincoln is much better. It comes very close to picking the correct shift times in D and isn't obnoxious in S. Granted, my Lincoln is a Taurus SHO in disguise so Ford spent some time attempting to get it to perform like the buyer of a $50k performance sedan expects.

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-19-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
there is a slight delay when i paddle shift to the actual shift, i dont care too much about that as it is consistent so i just time the downshift as id do driving my MT cars. the issue with the benz was that there is a shift gap /shock between the upshifts at times and it was rough. and it would just auto shift up after a couple of seconds even when you throttle up on a lower gear.

i use to think like you that the DSG's map is too conservative in D mode.. but then again in full AT mode in regular driving, it does very well. it pulls torque down low.. your natural thinking on a small block is that it should downshift but then it doesnt need to for regular driving as there is sufficient torque down low.. well at least on the GTI there is.

the only time i think the map is a bit too conservative is when going up hill. it upshifts a little too soon unless you apply a tad bit more throttle.

honestly with the way i am driving the local streets the last 2 weeks, the factory "D" map has been fantastic. its either that or just use the paddles here and there to stick a pass or wind it up a little to rid midpipe condensation. ive not had to use manual mode like in the past while driving pretty spiritedly on the expressways.

i donno, that's been my take on the DSG. i think i finally figured out how to really use the DSG gearbox. its actually pretty damn nice.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Do any of y'all watch Everyday Driver [ https://www.everydaydriver.com/ ] on the Velocity Channel?

My wife and I are huge fans of the show. Episodes feature the two professional driver hosts testing various cars, both old and new. Their narrative, videography and music flow in an intelligent and engaging way. It's unlike anything else on TV and is worth a watch.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 01-20-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i do watch it at times on youtube and like listening to their commentary. their GTI review was fairly accurate. the stock junkook (hankook) tires that the car comes with is just absolute garbage.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
A friend of mine had Hankrook tires on his fist MK7. He wore them out in 16,000 miles. The dealer reordered his car due to some paint problems that they could not fix correctly. Every time it went to the body shop it came back worse. The second car had Dunlap tires on it, much better than the Hankrooks, but still a low quality oem tire.

A very rare 2 door...

Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
I wish this software had a [Like] button. Nice photos of a nice looking GTI ashchuckton!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
I just clicked the [thanks] button Alco. My friend has some mobility issues & needed a 2 door to make getting in & out easier for him. That's why the 2 door. When the dealer reordered his car there was a lot of worry that a 4 door would be the replacement & that wouldn't work for him. In the end he's a happy camper with a sweet SE Performance Pack GTI.

Tom the happy camper.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
he got the right tranny! congrats to tom. are those leather seats on the SE?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, Tom looks like he's found his spot. Nice!

After dinner yesterday, Mrs. Alco and I drove the Golf around to various Dealerships just to enjoy the walking and some fresh air. Made a good sales contact at our local VW dealer, a smart and unassuming young lady who is very well informed on GTIs. They have a bunch of 2017s on their lot, but it's not the right time for me.

Saw the all new Toyota C-HR which evidently targets the Honda HR-V. Every angular facet of the C-HR's exterior and interior appears to have been designed by a computer running wild. One oddity is a wide partition that completely separates the front seats like a wall. I felt like Mrs. Alco was in a distant county. But, for a young couple with perhaps one kid, the C-HR might be a good choice.

The BMW Dealer had some nice used cars, each with their mileage and price plainly displayed in large font on each. I was impressed by this. A number of M's were found as well as a flawless li'l 2017 Fiat 500 which is super-cute. I'd never seen one up close.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
the CHR, from reviews ive seen, is all show and really not good at anything. its like toyota's version of the juke. probably intended for lower middle income dinks..? not sure. if that thing had a 300hp performance package then i think more people would give it a serious look.

i luv those Abarth 500's! i want one. if i had one more spot to park, that would be the car. ive only sat in one. its kinda like a mini-MINI.. i like how compact the thing is, door felt weighted. the interior bits were kinda cheap especially compared to a MINI but i still liked it cause it just screamed 'fun' from all directions.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ken- Yes Tom's SE has leather he hates the plaid. I love the plaid.

The CHR is such an oddball car. I bet it was destined to be a Scion, but they killed that brand.

I like the 500 Abarth, but I don't feel they will be reliable long term. Almost bought one, but thought better of it & got my GTI.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
nice on the leather on the SE. i can understand plaid seats on the GTI as it is a trademark for the GTI.

that white abarth looks great. i was looking at that classic blue color with black headlamps and black trims in MT.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Mrs. Alco thought the face of the Fiat looked like Japanese anime. <g>

I like small cars, but I'd feel unsafe in the Fiat. The model we saw wasn't the Abarth, but it had a beautiful interior that checked all of the boxes for classic European flair.

We washed the Golf today and Mrs. Alco suggested a fast spin in the country "to dry it off". Any excuse to exercise the 1.8T and row the gears. She liked the TDI a bunch, but loves the Golf even more I think.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 01-21-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I think the Fiat 500 is a nice retro modern take on the original. Just like the MINI is a modern retro design of the original Mini. Both of these cars were designed by the same person, Frank Stephenson.

I like the Abarth, but it does not have a quality feel like the Golf has.

Alco you are a lucky guy, your wife likes cars too. Lets take Rolf for a blow dry. Excellent!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah, the abarth did feel kinda cheap inside.. but i could definitely see myself owning one if i had one more parking spot.
if someone gave me a parking spot today, id get one tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I see that Subaru is offering 0% financing on all 2018 Outbacks. This would indicate that the new Outbacks aren't selling well. I'd like to think that the VW Alltrack has put a dent in Outback sales volume, but I have no data.

My wife and I looked at the Forester when we shopped and were surprised at how large it's gotten with each generation. It was clearly too big for us and we rejected it without a test drive. We did test drive the Crosstrek and it was nice, but to equate to the Golf Wolfsburg in amenities, the Crosstrek Limited would be required at $26,300. The Golf was thousands less and much more fun to drive. We have no need for AWD either.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 01-25-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
We slightly regret not going with the Alltrack. I don't think it's quite as quick/fun to drive as the regular Golf, but the extra space, ground clearance, and traction would be welcome.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg