Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Why the U.S. Leads the Developed World on Traffic Deaths

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Just allowing for more exposure to people of different races & culture, better food, more walkable daily life, etc. So many drawbacks.
Those are all great things but the introvert in me likes space and there are more drawbacks to benefits IMO. But that's me!

Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Those are all great things but the introvert in me likes space and there are more drawbacks to benefits IMO. But that's me!
For you personally sure. Suburbs are TERRIBLE for the environment though.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Deathrace 2019. Let's assign some points and make this happen! Not many pedestrians where I live so I'll need to drive super fast to an urban area for maximum points.

Do I get extra credit for all the idiots staring at their phone while crossing the street?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Here's an excellent comment to the article that nails the problem...incoherent pedestrians.

"As long as we as a country focus on the wrong things, we can not improve safety for pedestrians or drivers . Speed vs Safety is a false choice.
5 things:
1) For the last 50+ years the effect of speed on the number of accidents has been studied. The short summary is speed is #8 on the list of causes of vehicle accidents. So 7 other things to work on that will have a bigger safety payoff, before focusing on speed.
2) The list of causes of pedestrian / vehicle accidents point overwhelmingly to unsafe behavior by pedestrians in the roadway as the primary cause of fatalities. Check the number of citations issued in pedestrian deaths, Single digit % in most states, meaning that the vehicle drivers are not generally found at fault. How do we change unsafe actions by pedestrians? That is question #1.
3) Poor design for the pedestrian roadway interface puts people in harms way. It's time to make the pedestrian experience structurally safer, and make it more difficult for pedestrians to get into a dangerous situation.
4) And yes, drivers have to be more aware. Driver assisted technology that automatically brakes, or alerts drivers to pedestrians, has great promise. Making these safety features required in cars would be a step in the right direction.
5) States can require seat belts for both drivers and passengers in cars. (my state does) The federal government can force this issue by threatening to withhold federal highway funds unless a state passes a law requiring passenger seat belts."

Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think only in america u have human family crossing warning signs on expressways.. (like in san diego area) lol

one just cant compare america with other nations as it will never be an apples to apples comparison.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Here's an excellent comment to the article that nails the problem...incoherent pedestrians.

"As long as we as a country focus on the wrong things, we can not improve safety for pedestrians or drivers . Speed vs Safety is a false choice.
5 things:
1) For the last 50+ years the effect of speed on the number of accidents has been studied. The short summary is speed is #8 on the list of causes of vehicle accidents. So 7 other things to work on that will have a bigger safety payoff, before focusing on speed.
2) The list of causes of pedestrian / vehicle accidents point overwhelmingly to unsafe behavior by pedestrians in the roadway as the primary cause of fatalities. Check the number of citations issued in pedestrian deaths, Single digit % in most states, meaning that the vehicle drivers are not generally found at fault. How do we change unsafe actions by pedestrians? That is question #1.
3) Poor design for the pedestrian roadway interface puts people in harms way. It's time to make the pedestrian experience structurally safer, and make it more difficult for pedestrians to get into a dangerous situation.
4) And yes, drivers have to be more aware. Driver assisted technology that automatically brakes, or alerts drivers to pedestrians, has great promise. Making these safety features required in cars would be a step in the right direction.
5) States can require seat belts for both drivers and passengers in cars. (my state does) The federal government can force this issue by threatening to withhold federal highway funds unless a state passes a law requiring passenger seat belts."
Are you reading the same report? Are you able to reference the pages on your quotes? This is a >300 page report!

I'd like to reference 0n page 27 under Managing Speed;

Review of speed laws
Three best practice criteria were used in assessment of legislation on speed laws:

- presence of a national speed limit law;
- urban speed limits not exceeding 50 km/h (based on research, lower limits are recommended for urban areas and 30 km/h for residential areas and areas with high pedestrian activity); and
- local authorities having the power to modify speed limits (to adapt to different contexts)

These are recommendations on curbing fatalities on the road. You found something different?

Old 12-20-2018, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by GolNat
How many of these involved alcohol or drug use? Improper car seat installation? Seat belt use?
They didn't break down the research in this figure........from what I found. It is a >300 page report! I'm betting many of these fatalities of youngsters killed has to do with them trying to figure out how to "work" the streets getting somewhere and the drivers late for work. At least for our part of the figures found.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Found this interesting.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
yep, speed kills.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
I gave up on that video, that dude doesn't know what he's talking about. The vast majority of the autobahn is limited. Speed limits exist for fuel economy reasons moreso than safety, though lessened fatality rates are a good thing.

Also, most people don't maintain their cars at all (I've seen a fair number of posters in here talking about some quite trash tires & maintenance in general) those people are already going beyond safe speeds at any rate by driving unsafe cars.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
The vast majority of the autobahn is limited.
Vast majority to me is like greater then 75%. About 65% of the Autobahn is not speed restricted.

I gave up on that video
I figured you would but for other reasons.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I gave up on that video, that dude doesn't know what he's talking about. The vast majority of the autobahn is limited. Speed limits exist for fuel economy reasons moreso than safety, though lessened fatality rates are a good thing.

Also, most people don't maintain their cars at all (I've seen a fair number of posters in here talking about some quite trash tires & maintenance in general) those people are already going beyond safe speeds at any rate by driving unsafe cars.
agree 150%.. like driving a GK with shitty tires in 70mph (legal speed limit) in the wet is DANGEROUS.. people just dont realize it until they need to make evasive moves.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:54 AM
Germany has it down pretty good. from Wiki

General speed limits in Germany are set by the federal government. All limits are multiples of 5 km/h. There are two default speed limits: 50 km/h (31 mph) inside built-up areas and 100 km/h (62 mph) outside built-up areas. While parts of the autobahns and many other freeway-style highways have posted limits up to 130 km/h (81 mph) based on accident experience, congestion and other factors, many rural sections have no general speed limit.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THEIR LAWS -
Speed limits are enforced with a small tolerance. Driving merely 3 km/h (2 mph) or faster above the posted or implied speed limit is considered a punishable infraction in Germany. The speeding fines are set by federal law (Bußgeldkatalog, schedule of fines).

There's nothing like this anywhere here in the US and also our driving is far worst!