Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
J,

Massive respect on shoe horning the K in the Fit. But I would love to hear the long version of what does it feel like to have a K instead of a L under that hood.

Do you feel the weight on the front tires? Have your corner weighted the car yet? Whats the balance now 65% ~ 67% front? Is there serious traction issues? how are the brakes handling the power? massive understeer? and the power.. how is it linear or more top heavy? What about the torque same as the L ? torque steer city? ... the questions just keeping rolling off my head. This is so cool that a fellow racer finally did a dream of mine... More power in the Fit!!

Also I got 2nd place in 2011 ST Class at the SCCA St Louis Region Championship... Get my trophy this weekend

So if you teach me to RR maybe I can show you some tricks to Auto X'ing a Fit.

Again respect sir !!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM
You probably haven't seen me, cuz i lurk like a mofo...
But i'm an autocrosser, and not a bad one (not to toot my own horn or anything ). And this isn't the first time i've heard that saying. I first heard it from Robert Fuller from Robispec suspension. He stated that autox is too "technical" for some road racers, and that autoxers adapt well to road courses so long as they have the courage for the higher speeds. I might have an issue in the courage department but that remains to be seen

Anywho, i've thoroughly enjoyed your thread and your input to the society. The main reason i lurk is because most of my input is performance related (alot based on trial/error since GEs are rarely tracked/autoxed) and functional.

You've inspired me to make a progress/build thread, coming up in the near future, including all my current mods and the ones that didn't work so others can save their money and spend it on the mods that HAVE worked

So thanks, Jcrim, for supporting the growth of functional performance Fits

sincerely,
Adam
hahaha, no problem at all! I was a lurker too for a good while. Then I was tired of not seeing what I want, so I dedicided to add to the forum and see who else cares. haha I look forward to your build thread and ALWAYS support fellow tuners who are into any kind of racing. I like seeing people do things that are not normal and work. Let me know if you need anything from me and I will gladly assist. Nice to meet you Adam and please stick around and stop being a ghost! lol

Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
J,

Massive respect on shoe horning the K in the Fit. But I would love to hear the long version of what does it feel like to have a K instead of a L under that hood.

Do you feel the weight on the front tires? Have your corner weighted the car yet? Whats the balance now 65% ~ 67% front? Is there serious traction issues? how are the brakes handling the power? massive understeer? and the power.. how is it linear or more top heavy? What about the torque same as the L ? torque steer city? ... the questions just keeping rolling off my head. This is so cool that a fellow racer finally did a dream of mine... More power in the Fit!!

Also I got 2nd place in 2011 ST Class at the SCCA St Louis Region Championship... Get my trophy this weekend

So if you teach me to RR maybe I can show you some tricks to Auto X'ing a Fit.

Again respect sir !!
First I want to say thank you for supporting me! I also want to say thanks for reading and being involved in the fit racing dept. AND CONGRATS ON THE WINNINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha I will start from the top on what you asked. here we go

Do you feel the weight on the front tires?
well the weight I feel is because I have not enabled electronic power steering yet, and I just might not. I'm getting used to it and REALLY like the feedback. The only time I feel the weight is in parking lots. I am also on R compound tires so of course its going to be harder to turn at first. But as soon as I'm moving, its a walk in the park. I have done mods before the actual swap in preparation for the K. IE: spring rates, 12k front, 10K rear. (I now have to re adjust the dampening though, just turn some clicks..) I also have staggered my front wheels and tires. 225/45/15 on 15x9 in the front and 205/50/15 on 15x8 in the rear. I knew this would greatly help. and it does! Before with the L15 with this tire and wheel set up the car was SUUUUUPER tail happy. I expected this. now with the K, the car is SUPER neutral. It is very controllable!

Have your corner weighted the car yet?
I have not! But I will be going to MotorSport Ranch, Cresson Tx the 29th of this month to shoot with Honda Tuning Magazine and right on that race track is MER (people who build my cage), I will swing by there and do this before or after the shoot.

Whats the balance now 65% ~ 67% front?
I am guessing its really really close to stock. Here is my reasoning.
1. The way it feels lol
2. Most of my cage is in the rear
3. I have removed many things from the front of the car in order to kill weight. IE:complete AC system, No hydraulic PS on the motor, Removed all emissions parts (charcoal canister system), ABS has been removed, very small battery.

In fact, after I did this swap (you have to load it from the bottom of the car by removing the sub-frame) the car did NOT squat at all vs the L series that was previously in it. Its sitting the EXACT same height. I was shocked.

Is there serious traction issues?

hahaha well from a cold start before my tires get a little warm, of course, but as soon as they get a little heat, not at all. I bet on street tires I could chip all the way up to 5th gear lol. but on R comps, nah, its super smooth.

how are the brakes handling the power?
I haven't really tested them, feel like it did before with the L but I haven't beat on it enough to really see it they will fade or fail. Im going to assume they will and have FastBrakes make me the DC2 11" brake system upgrade for both front and rear. Those with some nice CarboTech XP brake pads will be lovely. just for good measure haha.

massive understeer?
haha not at all, I don't know why everyone thinks this will result in an under-steering pig. I seriously feel like she is just as agile as my L15. then again, I did make a lot of preparation before hand to ensure this. Just Imagine your fit as it is right now with legit vtec that sounds like a demon, 2 cams, and 200+ power. My estimated whp is around 277. the guy who I bought this motor from built it. I will get a real factual number soon. She feels quick as hell to me. and ive driven some stupid fast cars. so I really don't know haha.

and the power.. how is it linear or more top heavy?
she pulls and pulls and pulls until you start to poop a little, either that or you come up to a red light or traffic. lol I'm trying not to get in too much trouble on the streets right now. I will take it on some wide open roads this weekend.

What about the torque same as the L ?
NO! lol much more. she gets up and goes. I really cant imagine what a k24 torque would feel like, k20a r is PLENTY for me.

torque steer city?
about this. lol this is one thing I need to get used to. Before when I had the L, I could just flat foot out of corners, Now I will have to focus on throttle input as well. she gets it. lol

shoot me some more questions! I hate feeling like Im bragging or rambling on about my car so its better if you ask lol.

thanks again guys!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JCrimson

and the power.. how is it linear or more top heavy?
she pulls and pulls and pulls until you start to poop a little, either that or you come up to a red light or traffic. lol I'm trying not to get in too much trouble on the streets right now. I will take it on some wide open roads this weekend.

thanks again guys!
this made me LOL. The First time I took my car on the freeway I was doing 110mph before I even knew it. I found my self always double and triple checking my speed just to make sure I wasn't speeding. The car just wants to GO and It has no problems hitting triple digits if your not paying attention, lol. God I miss driving my car... is summer here yet?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
massive understeer?
My estimated whp is around 277. the guy who I bought this motor from built it. I will get a real factual number soon. She feels quick as hell to me. and ive driven some stupid fast cars. so I really don't know haha.
I was under the impression it was at 277whp on pump gas under F/I? If not, it will be awhile before i challenge you...277whp scare the piss outta me from a piddly 220-230 that im looking at with an FA first go around!lol

OH! And when do i get a ride hooooooooooo....mie!

Last edited by dled1286; 01-20-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
this made me LOL. The First time I took my car on the freeway I was doing 110mph before I even knew it. I found my self always double and triple checking my speed just to make sure I wasn't speeding. The car just wants to GO and It has no problems hitting triple digits if your not paying attention, lol. God I miss driving my car... is summer here yet?
lol exactly. at first 6 speed was alien to me. now it is sooo natural. my gears are SUPER short though so I shift a crap ton. type R! lol

it doesnt take long at all to hit 100+

I am also in 6 point harnesses and full buckets so the feeling of speeding up is not there. it just happens and you are like "holy hell, slow down, dont get noticed,... brake, down shift.. okay were good.. >.>"

Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dled1286
I was under the impression it was at 277whp on pump gas under F/I? If not, it will be awhile before i challenge you...277whp scare the piss outta me from a piddly 220-230 that im looking at with an FA first go around!lol

come over this weekend and bring a change of pants and undies.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
It's 80 degrees here and MNfit is waiting for summer...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
and oh does it feel glorious! I F N hate the cold

Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 PM
come over this weekend and bring a change of pants and undies.
Ive been at 145mph on a bumpy 2-lane rd in my 350Z i used to have...this is just a walk in the park...lol

I might stop by tomorrow sometime. What time is too early for you lol

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Ive been at 145mph on a bumpy 2-lane rd in my 350Z i used to have...this is just a walk in the park...lol

Ill be up about 9. anytime after 9 is cool. lol

Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Ill be up about 9. anytime after 9 is cool. lol
cool ill be about then too...not too early but i gotta do some running around town. wash da fit, she is filthy

Ill holla about 930ish

Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

Anything over 130 in a Fit with stock size tires and stock dampers is a little squirrely on anything but very well maintained asphalt.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
J is not on stock size tires, stock compound tires or stock dampers...should be fine...lol

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I hate you... Its -4F right now

Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I hate you as well JC, MN knows how cold and suckish this is

JC, when's your next track day? And relative to your last track day are there any changes other than the Kswap?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
I actualy lied, it was -4F yesterday today it's 2F right now. It's crazy to think only a week or two ago it was 50F.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
I actualy lied, it was -4F yesterday today it's 2F right now. It's crazy to think only a week or two ago it was 50F.
It's 2:30 AM and 75 degrees inside the house with the windows wide open.. I checked the thermometer outside and it's 68 degrees... I'm going to have to turn on the A/C to cool it down enough to go to sleep.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
J is not on stock size tires, stock compound tires or stock dampers...should be fine...lol
I imagine that he will have no problems.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I hate you as well JC, MN knows how cold and suckish this is

JC, when's your next track day? And relative to your last track day are there any changes other than the Kswap?
My next track day is 24-25MAR2012. It's coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a few things I need to upgrade before then so tax return is going to BBK for front and rear (of course disc). Going to contact fastbrakes soon. Also going to start using carbotech pads.

the track day is at MotorSport Ranch, Cresson Texas (35 mins south of dallas). I've ran the 3.1 mile configuration before but never the 1.7. It's going to be the 1.7 CCW. good because this is in favor of my oil pick up. haha (I'll get a baffled pan soon. grr the stock type R seems to have a few walls in it. doesn't look too bad at all. I did it with my stock L15A oil pan just fine and I see all these damn jap videos of them racing on a road course stock K20A cars. It's fine for now.)

This Sunday, I'm going to MotorSport Ranch too! Yeah, hella early for the track day right?? well, its not for the track day.. Photoshoot with Honda-Tuning Magazine. They wanta see it in its natural environment BlueCell should be there too. Get his done the same day.

So if anyone wants to meet the gang and see the fit on Sunday, feel free to come by! You can simply drive into the racetrack location as a spectator. (of course not on the track) but you can just show up for free like a spectator. Its a private members day that day. However, I will be on the other configuration part of the track for pics! Come see what its like guys!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Be careful though, I developed rod knock the day after I installed SWIFT springs on my 5R at a gymkhana event. It just was generating much more lateral grip the oil climbed up the left side of the motor and the pick up had nothing to pick up. Cylinders 2 and 3 we're toast. On the warranty rebuild had a Prototype Racing pan installed and never had another problem.

Quick Reply: JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!