Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Tracking/AutoX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
S5 class? Not familiar with this classification and how you can be in the same class as a Miata with R-Comps? Must not be an SCCA group?
S5 is a local street tire class. Stock engine/chassis, 195 max width, 140 TW max, stock springs, no LSD. Stock Category ? FAST

At least you're racing somewhere?
Bingo. I needed to re-adjust to FWD characteristics and get acquainted with the Fit as E46 driving and karting habits don't fully apply here, and tracking on shitty tires provides a great opportunity to do so.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
S5 is a local street tire class. Stock engine/chassis, 195 max width, 140 TW max, stock springs, no LSD. Stock Category ? FAST

Bingo. I needed to re-adjust to FWD characteristics and get acquainted with the Fit as E46 driving and karting habits don't fully apply here, and tracking on shitty tires provides a great opportunity to do so.

Looks like they emulate SCCA classes, they just group them together such as combining CS & DS for S2?

Trail braking is your friend LOL

I find the Fit both easy and hard to race compared to my WRX. The easy part is I shift into 2nd, floor it and just steer for most of the course. Everything happens so much slower than the WRX. The hard part was keeping momentum up, staying REALLY tight to the cones to cut distance and any understeer just scrubs off so much speed. The Fit is just such an underdog compared to the Abarth and Fiesta ST. They weigh roughly the same, have performance suspensions and are at minimum have 40 HP more

Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like they emulate SCCA classes, they just group them together such as combining CS & DS for S2?
Yeah. This past event was a half day of 45 cars in the morning, 45 in the afternoon, each split in to two run groups. IMO their classes reflect the sizing based on the market need; whether the structure has been successful running contrast to SCCA is something I don't know about yet. I do plan on running with them next season though and should find out.

Trail braking is your friend LOL
Trail braking is our friend.

I find the Fit both easy and hard to race compared to my WRX. The easy part is I shift into 2nd, floor it and just steer for most of the course. Everything happens so much slower than the WRX. The hard part was keeping momentum up, staying REALLY tight to the cones to cut distance and any understeer just scrubs off so much speed. The Fit is just such an underdog compared to the Abarth and Fiesta ST. They weigh roughly the same, have performance suspensions and are at minimum have 40 HP more
Completely. I shifted in to 2nd right after exiting turn 2 and pedaled it home from there. Vette's, EVOs, etc were bouncing the limiter at the end of the straight where I still had 500-700 rpm unitl redline. Keeping momentum up wasn't a problem for me, I couldn't gain any of it to begin with!

Old 07-19-2023, 12:18 AM
Hey all, relatively new here. I recently purchased some grippier if not insane tires for front side of my GD3 Fit, i at least wanted front end to be able to control itself because with cheapo tires it had it honestly scared me how little traction it had. To make this worse i have ABS disabled due to unfortunate result of hiring a otherwise good mobile mechanic. I have Yokohama Fleva's on front stock 15" size, economies on back and my question is should i be worried about too happy of a tail?
In general and ignoring my own tire question how would a experienced driver describe a GD3s stock tendencies, highs and lows vs other cars. I have experience with autocross for nearly 5 years at one time but been out of it for awhile.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boof unofficial
Hey all, relatively new here. I recently purchased some grippier if not insane tires for front side of my GD3 Fit, i at least wanted front end to be able to control itself because with cheapo tires it had it honestly scared me how little traction it had. To make this worse i have ABS disabled due to unfortunate result of hiring a otherwise good mobile mechanic. I have Yokohama Fleva's on front stock 15" size, economies on back and my question is should i be worried about too happy of a tail?
In general and ignoring my own tire question how would a experienced driver describe a GD3s stock tendencies, highs and lows vs other cars. I have experience with autocross for nearly 5 years at one time but been out of it for awhile.

The cars have too much push/understeer to begin with. I don't see an issue with being "too happy of a tail". I don't see an issue with the ABS off. The times when I autocross my FIT it'd do the E-brake dance to turn the nanny's off. No matter what you do, it's just for fun. Using the FIT for autocross is bringing a butter knife to a gun fight. The car is too underpowered for the classs

Old 07-20-2023, 10:10 PM
The cars have too much push/understeer to begin with. I don't see an issue with being "too happy of a tail". I don't see an issue with the ABS off. The times when I autocross my FIT it'd do the E-brake dance to turn the nanny's off. No matter what you do, it's just for fun. Using the FIT for autocross is bringing a butter knife to a gun fight. The car is too underpowered for the classs
No on track/autocross stuff yet but found quiet place to play around a small bit, dry weather it seems simply neutral with scandi flicks tail would easily come out, or in a slalom it could get lively, in the wet it does have neutral oversteer though very distinctly, but very controllably at zero throttle. Haven't tested braking much because frankly im trying to preserve what pad i have left and its next on list but in mean time i do put a lot of normal miles on my Fit so gotta take some care.

I don't know if i'd recommend 200TW-300TW summer tires on Front with COMPLETE (what i have) bottom barrel economy tires on rear, i have few years autocrossing/track with lots of different types of cars and I'm used to playful tails so i fear may be too lively for some but for random Fit owner getting into autox/track i could see similar but less dicey style with All Seasons on rear as really good starter/budget setup for stock car, actually surprised how nice it feels balance wise on GD3. Ideally it would be rear swaybar causing any bit of slide but for <350$ all in this will do

Whats really impressed me and i can use in daily driving all the time is now that i have rubber on the front accelerating while hard cornering from stop at full throttle is absolutely no issue, i do not miss feeling of trying to turn onto 50-60mph multi lane road and having to balance between grip and weak acceleration just to somehow get up to speed in time, old tires in wet felt like other cars in snow, car just feels so much more whole now.

Last edited by boof unofficial; 07-20-2023 at 10:19 PM.