Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Honda: F1 and INDYCAR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 AM
Honda: F1 and INDYCAR

I thought I’d find a Motorsport thread for fans who may or may not track their FIT. None here so...

Does anyone here support Honda in F1? Honda-Mugen performed so well in the past I’m still surprised Honda is having such a tough go in F1. Of course, their legendary F1 past followed years of fumbling to get up to speed. Their involvement in F4, moto and INDYCAR is very good. FITs performed well in B-spec during PWC. All that activity led me to expect they wouldn’t have a problem catching up, but V6 turbo hybrids seem to be baffling the F1 powertrain team.

Hondas seem much more reliable in INDYCAR car, but Alonso was hit with one more engine issue last season... of course, he only raced one track. What team or drivers do you support if you follow INDYCAR?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
honda and reliable in one sentence is wrong.

i use to be a mclaren honda fan. you know when marlboro were cool. even made a tamiya plastic model. actually i still have it somewhere in those mirror base display boxes.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
honda and reliable in one sentence is wrong.

i use to be a mclaren honda fan. you know when marlboro were cool. even made a tamiya plastic model. actually i still have it somewhere in those mirror base display boxes.
HaHa! I don’t know about how wrong it is, but Honda definitely cannot get it together for F1.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
I generally support drivers more than I support teams. That said, I was a McLaren fan from about 2007 - the forced ousting of Ron Dennis. (The start of my fandom coincides with Lewis' debut & ends with Ron leaving because for me, Ron Dennis is the embodiment of modern McLaren)

With the Honda PU now in a Toro Rosso, I'd like to see them do well & crush McLaren into a fine powder in the midfield, unfortunately they might have the worst driver lineup in F1.

As for as struggling to get it together, they were 3-4 years behind Mercedes from the word go, as well as short in essence hundreds of races of information as a result of the factory & customer Merc PU. Considering that, they're doing remarkably well IMO.

I don't watch IndyCar. I do support Honda in MotoGP, purely as a result of Marc Marquez being the most awe inspiring rider I've ever seen on a motorcycle. The man is magic.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I generally support drivers more than I support teams. That said, I was a McLaren fan from about 2007 - the forced ousting of Ron Dennis. (The start of my fandom coincides with Lewis' debut & ends with Ron leaving because for me, Ron Dennis is the embodiment of modern McLaren)

With the Honda PU now in a Toro Rosso, I'd like to see them do well & crush McLaren into a fine powder in the midfield, unfortunately they might have the worst driver lineup in F1.

As for as struggling to get it together, they were 3-4 years behind Mercedes from the word go, as well as short in essence hundreds of races of information as a result of the factory & customer Merc PU. Considering that, they're doing remarkably well IMO.

I don't watch IndyCar. I do support Honda in MotoGP, purely as a result of Marc Marquez being the most awe inspiring rider I've ever seen on a motorcycle. The man is magic.
I get that. I’m a fan of Alonso and only follow McLaren, now, because of him. I also followed McLaren for Honda. I follow SF for the team not always a fan of the drivers. I support Toro Rosso and HAAS as my resident “small” teams.

Yes, Honda started from behind. But so did HAAS. The greatest difference being HAAS is using older gen Ferrari PUs. But the team must learn as Honda does... OJT. That stated, Honda had the glorious past and modern McLaren-Alonso expectations to meet or beat. ‘Hope they can do better with TR, but they’re already one engine change down.

The only other driver I follow, regardless of the team is Takuma Sato in IndyCar. It just so happens he’s always in a Honda.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im sure u watched that vid on amazon prime regarding the mclaren-honda but when that honda guy's speech at the marketing event started with 'of course we cant promise anything' im like why the fak are u there and in the business of F1 then? wtf honda.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
im sure u watched that vid on amazon prime regarding the mclaren-honda but when that honda guy's speech at the marketing event started with 'of course we cant promise anything' im like why the fak are u there and in the business of F1 then? wtf honda.
Yeah... that kinda stuff bothers me. HAAS has done better than expected because they set goals for Manufacturer Points in the off-season. At least have the drive to communicate the goal as a do-or-die situation. Press statements without flame are just hot air.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
About Honda and F1, you do realize they are several years behind the development curve correct? The other 3 manufacturers were all working behind the scenes with zero tokens holding them back while still running the V8s for the final few years running. For Honda to even be where they are currently is more a testament to how strong they actually are. To say otherwise shows a real lack of understanding and knowledge. They never even planned to enter F1 until 2016, McLaren shit the bed, by moaning and bitching when Mercedes told them from '16 they would have to pay for their engines, they felt they were too good a team to have to pay and engine suppliers should be grateful to be partnering with them. So they basically forced Honda in a year earlier then they wanted to come in, then forced that size zero nonsense on them to boot. In that same Amazon series, did you not question McLaren for not even having a floor ready for the new car on time? This supposed powerhouse who has last won a Constructor's title when (hint, 2 DECADES AGO)? They have not done shit in F1 for close to a decade and even then that was because of 2 drivers (Hammy and Lonso). The final telling sign to anybody should have been 2014, they had the Mercedes powerplant, the MOST dominant one by far and were just the 4th fastest Mercedes powered team. The only reason they had as many points as they did is because of the toss-up Australian GP when they finished 2nd and 3rd.

As far as Haas, they cannot at all be compared to Honda as they don't really do shit. They are a piece meal company, playing by the rules (maybe), but they essentially don't manufacture any important part of the car, ie the powerplant and mission. And Haas is using current gen powerplant and mission from Ferrari, same as Sauber. They are using a chassis that is very similar to last year's Ferrari, which has been questioned by a few teams already, hence the maybe in parenthesis above.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 04-10-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 AM
To bring the several seasons old V8s as part of the reason Honda is behind in F1 shows a more significant “lack of knowledge and understanding”. ‘Not the best way to introduce yourself to the thread. You may have missed the earlier posts conceding they started behind the curve so those comments get a pass.

Look, I’m all for backing one or more teams with all one’s heart, but Honda’s too big a company with too rich a Motorsports history to be “forced” into... let alone be forced by a team clamoring for an engine. Honda jumped in early by choice. To insist otherwise is to be disingenuous. That is as much a fact as two Hondas finishing and one in great points position at Bahrain. Anyone cheering their Sunday performance was cheering, in part, because of their poor performance in past seasons. Let’s hope they can do the same or better when RBs are challenging SF and MB for the top 6 spots. By the way, HAAS did well last season without investing extra to score newer red gear. It’s takes a wee bit of haterism to fault them for spending the money it takes to improve over last season. ‘Nothing to hate on if not deviating from the rule book.

I do believe the reliability question is a reasonable one. You didn’t address that at all. One on the other side of your argument could just as easily claim Honda ONLY has the engine to worry about... Why do they blow up so often?

All that stated, young Mister G put on a great pace. Bravo. I’m looking forward to future top 6 Honda points for 2018.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Amabento
To bring the several seasons old V8s as part of the reason Honda is behind in F1 shows a more significant “lack of knowledge and understanding”. ‘Not the best way to introduce yourself to the thread. You may have missed the earlier posts conceding they started behind the curve so those comments get a pass.

Look, I’m all for backing one or more teams with all one’s heart, but Honda’s too big a company with too rich a Motorsports history to be “forced” into... let alone be forced by a team clamoring for an engine. Honda jumped in early by choice. To insist otherwise is to be disingenuous. That is as much a fact as two Hondas finishing and one in great points position at Bahrain. Anyone cheering their Sunday performance was cheering, in part, because of their poor performance in past seasons. Let’s hope they can do the same or better when RBs are challenging SF and MB for the top 6 spots. By the way, HAAS did well last season without investing extra to score newer red gear. It’s takes a wee bit of haterism to fault them for spending the money it takes to improve over last season. ‘Nothing to hate on if not deviating from the rule book.

I do believe the reliability question is a reasonable one. You didn’t address that at all. One on the other side of your argument could just as easily claim Honda ONLY has the engine to worry about... Why do they blow up so often?

All that stated, young Mister G put on a great pace. Bravo. I’m looking forward to future top 6 Honda points for 2018.
The V8 era is significant to this day though. Mercedes was developing its 2014 PU back in 2010/2011, Honda was doing no such thing.

In F1, Honda is a small fish, McLaren was a huge one.

Last year (and this year) Haas is essentially a Ferrari junior team, with many, many components shockingly similar to those off of the Ferrari senior car. They don't need a huge budget because they get so much help from Ferrari.

Gasly drove a great race & that TR/Honda looks like it may be properly quick.

lol Zak Brown & modern McLaren. They can eat a heavy dose of crow.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The V8 era is significant to this day though. Mercedes was developing its 2014 PU back in 2010/2011, Honda was doing no such thing.

In F1, Honda is a small fish, McLaren was a huge one.

Last year (and this year) Haas is essentially a Ferrari junior team, with many, many components shockingly similar to those off of the Ferrari senior car. They don't need a huge budget because they get so much help from Ferrari.

Gasly drove a great race & that TR/Honda looks like it may be properly quick.

lol Zak Brown & modern McLaren. They can eat a heavy dose of crow.
Well, we must concede Honda teamed with the constructor responsible for first developing race hybrids and Honda being second to do so if we’re gonna use the V8 MB era excuse, right? So I say leave it out.

The Bahrain GP jump may be explained, in part, by Hondas pioneering the tech. Again, we must be familiar with F1 history before claiming Honda is a “small fish”. Honda is F1 legend. They have deep pockets. They’ve jumped in and out several times... and not due to performance or finances. They’re pioneers in the sport and have an era of dominance etched in their name.

HAAS is essentially an SF junior team. True.

I hope McLaren eats that crow fresh... what a missed opportunity is all I thought about for Alonso. But the young blood will benefit. Maybe that’s better for Hondas latest F1 era.