Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

moved threads 2nd gen forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
moved threads 2nd gen forum?

What's with the heavy handed moderation? You guys didn't move a single thread in 5 years and now you're yanking 3/4 of the content from the 2nd gen forum to populate the also ran forums?

I notice you're not moving any from the 1stgen or 3rd gen. What's up with that? You have too many forums as it is. Better to reduce forums than spread useful threads to forums no one visits. The first round was mildly annoying. Now you've irked me.

One of the most impressive things about this site is how little moderation is needed or used. Don't start fixing things that aren't broken.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I noticed this yesterday as well.

I think it's because there's a new deputy in town. I've seen several people deputized though and that didn't happen, so idk, maybe some 'splainin to do.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
It's a good idea to have threads in the right places, but 1st gen and 2nd gen aren't the places the "Hey, how 'bout that weather we're having" threads are piling up. I'll be in a thread and notice at some point that I'm in the 3rd gen forum and wonder why:

Snow Tire Pictures

What vehicle did your Fit replace?

Honda customer service sucks..

I think the new deputy might be walking the wrong beat. Whether or not that beat needs walking in the first place is a different matter.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Question about those threads... if you're subscribed to them, and then click them (from your subscriptions) will it take you to a dead thread in the 2nd gen forum, or will it take you to the correct thread & forum (to which it's been moved to)?

I'd figure the 3rd gen forum needs some major clean up, mainly duplicate threads... love how they do it over on the CRZ forum, they just lock or delete the duplicate threads, keeps the forum real clean and easy to navigate... better than having 20+ threads about the same topic (my recent fav's are Mexico plant worries, where's my new Fit after a week, and those new Honda owners who complain when they shift at 2k rpm and lug their engines... lol, it's a Honda - rev it).

One thing I noticed over the past few days is when you log out it no longer marks the threads read, so when you log back in you got pages upon pages of "unread" threads, but they're old... Now that needs to get fixed. Never seen any vbb forum like that.

Also how if you don't check remember me when you sign in it doesn't keep you logged in, this also is a recent change - past few weeks or so?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm getting that in the "subscribed threads" search too... bunch of old threads. It used to just show the new responses since your last visit. Not sure what happened there?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. that unmarked new posts/mark as read feature just got changed like 2 days ago... tops 3.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Administrator
You will notice slowly but surely that threads are being moved to the correct subforums as we get the time to do so.

The GD, GE general sections have started to be cleaned up with threads moved to their correct place and soon we hope to have dedicated subforums for the GK owners so that we can also reduce some of the clutter and redundant threads.

We appreciate your feedback and I know that some are resistant to any change but there is a reason for the dedicated subforums and we all should be utilizing them.

Posting your thread in the correct section allows for easier searching and helps to reduce the number of duplicate topics

Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Regarding the issue of older items in your subscribed threads, you can note the following:

The thread status change was an unintended side effect of a recent update. We used to track read vs. unread threads using a cookie local to your computer. This worked well if you were only visiting the site on one machine, but with the rise of tablets and smartphones, we now see people visiting the site on multiple devices. So to provide more accurate read/unread thread statuses, we moved the statuses server side. This means that no matter which device you're logged in on, it will show which threads have new posts since your last visit.

You can circumvent the current issue by using "mark forum as read" and it will work correctly going forward.