The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Things that make you smile.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
Things that make you smile.

In this sea of shit, I find one comment burried...
Satan's Lovechild says:
November 27, 2008 at 11:14
This whole article reeks of ignorance. That is, it is conceptually clever and its ideas theoretically plausible in most people of above average intelligence. I applaud the author for their thoughtfulness and their positive attitude. If I could live in the same magical fairyland, I would.
The Author appears to be fixated on the concept that the intellectual’s downfall is his or her habit of running away from pain. Unfortunately, for the highly intelligent, whether he or she is running away from pain or not, what he or she fundamentally lacks, is fixed, simple, concrete values. The more simple a person is, the more likely they are to “borrow” values and concepts, such as “happiness”, or the pursuit of wealth. Of course, such values values become more elaborate the more somebody knows, or thinks, but the less than highly intelligent person is still likely to live much of their lives according to what they have been taught, what their peers consider to be “right” or “good”. Unfortunately, borrowing values becomes harder as one peels away the layers of reality. The genius is left with the burden of creating their own values, their own reasons for living, and once one is faced with the reality of this infinite choice, the whole idea of values becomes utterly absurd. This is a lonely process when one is surrounded by people that have no advice or understanding to offer because they live in a simple and unambiguous universe filled with borrowed concepts and rigid boxes with which to evaluate every occurrence.
In short, I agree with the Author’s advice. Running away from pain is one of the silliest habits of the intellectual. Intelligent people have the facilities to deal with pain, whether by solving problems logically or by lowering their expectations and accepting the hand that life has dealt them. I don’t agree however that learning to deal with pain is the key to happiness for the over-intelligent person. I don’t agree with the idea that happiness should be the goal of the over-intelligent person because any intelligent person understands that happiness is a construct. The main obstacle that prevents the know-it-all from reaching his own, or any society imposed goal, is not pain, but confusion. Someone who knows too much simply has too many choices, too many questions to seek answers to and no simple, concrete reasons to pursue any sort of success in life. The person who knows too much doesn’t really know what success is, yet. The life of the intellectual is an existential bachelor in rocket science, while the rest of society is studying arts, or attending community college. The subject matter is just much more advanced for some people, and they may spend their whole lives trying to derive meaning from the void and never find it. My advice to the author is to stick to what they know and let geniuses be geniuses. Its likely that you haven’t even begun to touch upon what they comprehend.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 03-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
hey today is my birthday too!

i think that the world in which we live in is only as real as you want to believe it is. it may be easy to dismiss your reality as an absurd construct of your mind to lessen the blow of living, but no matter how you understand or perceive reality, you have to obey that reality because this construct serves a purpose which is unknown by any being on this earth.
you can also say that our physiological perception is based solely on the betterment of the human race, because in any biological situation, there is strength in numbers. for all we know, we are just bacteria in a petri dish floating around and reproducing because this is the perception of reality that makes reproduction easiest for our race. happiness and sadness are not good for you. contentment is what everyone strives for, yet feelings come secondary to your thoughts and the way you project them. feelings are unimportant. the only thing that is important is that you make noise and make yourself heard because the only thing that descends personal reality is shared reality and transfer of thoughts to others.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome, Happy Birthday! I just took a shower, walked back to my laptop, and asked "was it me that wrote this crap?"

I could have spent this time rebuilding my turbo thats starting to leak and smoke at idle like crazy.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Happy B-Day both... this should put a smile on your faces

Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Back to; Things That Make You Smile

Name:  dormouse.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
HA - missed this one. Belated BD wishes Lyons - glad to see you got on track and resisted that primal urge to migrate.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Name:  giuseppe-zanotti-e90433-crystal-embellished-strappy-sandals-black-blue.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  28.3 KB

Now THOSE make me smile! Name:  newJumping.gif
Views: 42
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
^^That makes me smile! Nothing better then a hot chick in sexy heels =)

Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1SickVeilsideZ
^^That makes me smile! Nothing better then a hot chick in sexy heels =)
Until she turns out to be a dude. lol

Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
^^LOL! Thank god that's never happened.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1SickVeilsideZ
^^LOL! Thank god that's never happened.
It happens all the time on the internet lol. In this world men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.