1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid / Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid / Anti-Freeze

I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and it has about 99,000 miles on it. I had a service done at the dealership at about 69,000 miles and today the guy told me I need to change the transmission fluid again (at every 30,000 miles). It has an automatice transmission. This seems ok to me, and there is many articles on the web agreeing with this, but I wanted to know a few things about this as a I want to start doing it myself:

1. Should I use Honda's fluid or is it safe to use another? How much does it take?
2. I read that to keep the transmission in good shape I should drain, fill, drive 100 miles, drain & fill again, drive another 100 miles and do it one last time. Should I do this? I don't mind if it'll keep the transmission going well.
3. How hard is this to do? Any tips as to were the drain plug and fill location are?

And, on another note, I thought I'd change to coolant (anti-freeze). Should I get a Prestone kit to flush / fill and use a 50/50 mixture? What are your thoughts?

Look forward to your guidance!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
You can't go wrong with Honda fluids. They are often a bit different in formulation than other brands.

So, for the transmission, have 4 qts on hand, and a crush washer to re-seal the drain bolt. Honda DW-1 fluid. You will use a little over 3 quarts. If you are not having any shifting issues, a single drain is all you need. If you ARE having problems, a 3X drain as you describe will replace 95% of the fluid.

Honda Blue coolant is said to last 5 years or 120K miles. You could let it go another year if you want. It is only available in a 50/50 mix. You don't need the old flush-n-fill kits anymore (because, like the tranny fluid, you will replace a percentage of the coolant, but then repeat the procedure every three years or so from now on, to keep it "fresh").

It's about time you replaced your brake fluid, isn't it? Honda recommends every 3 years regardless of miles. You will need about 2 bottles to do a complete fluid replacement.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM
How do I change brake fluid?

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
You can't go wrong with Honda fluids. They are often a bit different in formulation than other brands.

So, for the transmission, have 4 qts on hand, and a crush washer to re-seal the drain bolt. Honda DW-1 fluid. You will use a little over 3 quarts. If you are not having any shifting issues, a single drain is all you need. If you ARE having problems, a 3X drain as you describe will replace 95% of the fluid.

Honda Blue coolant is said to last 5 years or 120K miles. You could let it go another year if you want. It is only available in a 50/50 mix. You don't need the old flush-n-fill kits anymore (because, like the tranny fluid, you will replace a percentage of the coolant, but then repeat the procedure every three years or so from now on, to keep it "fresh").

It's about time you replaced your brake fluid, isn't it? Honda recommends every 3 years regardless of miles. You will need about 2 bottles to do a complete fluid replacement.

I just got done changing the transmission fluid and that was really easy! I spilt a little so I have to get another bottle (they only sold me 3 at the Honda dealer) but other than that it was cake -- and I got the crush washer too. All good on that.

I saw the Honda blue coolant at the Honda dealer so I'll pick some up on Monday.

And, if possible, can you tell me how hard it is to change the brake fluid? I should probably do that as well.

I appreciate your help!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mmitsch

And, if possible, can you tell me how hard it is to change the brake fluid? I should probably do that as well.
Replacing brake fluid is not too difficult, but if you don't have a lift (or ramps) it can be tedious (often requires removal of the wheels to access the bleeder screws).

There are different ways of doing it, and folks will tell you which works best for them.

Rather than me typing all the scenarios and different methods, I'd look on YouTube for videos (all cars are similar) or on Forums for detailed procedures. Then get back to us here with any questions.