2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fix for weather seal / window rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
fix for weather seal / window rattle

if your window rattles when it's all the way up.... it's probably not the window that's rattling. it's the weather seal on the frame, which the door comes into contact with when it's shut.

the fix: apply Frost king rubber foam weatherseal 3/4" wide, 7/16" thick (available at lowes) directly to the rubber weather strip on the frame. i cut about a 10" long piece of it and applied it.

i've had this god damn annoying rattle for over a year and this fix worked 100%. it has been the single most annoying thing about the car.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
You can also just lube the seals. The dealer should do it for free if they're worth their salt.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
You can also just lube the seals. The dealer should do it for free if they're worth their salt.

lubing it failed. spray silicone failed. stuffing pipe cleaners in it failed. voo doo ritual failed.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM
could you take a picture please, i have this annoying rattle when the wind cross blows on my driver side and it bugs the hell outta me but thats been my only quirk about this car!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mingy83
could you take a picture please, i have this annoying rattle when the wind cross blows on my driver side and it bugs the hell outta me but thats been my only quirk about this car!
i have experienced that exact same thing. and i do believe it's the weather seal causing it. its a unique sound... and different than the one i described in the first post.

i dont have a camera. dont laugh.

here's a screen capture... it's the closest i could get. this image is of the weather seal for the back door. it's a rubber pad surrounding the frame. it's the same on the driver's door. when you are inside the car with the door shut, you can stick a finger between the door and the seal. that's how i figured out the rattle was coming from the seal and not the window.

if you apply the store bought weather seal directly to the rubber strip on the frame of the car, the noise should go away... but you may have to find out exactly which part of the weather seal is rattling. the store bought weather seal is easy to remove once applied... so you can experiment to see which spot causes the noise. in my case, i applied the weather seal across the top (parallel to the roof) out of view in this photo.

Last edited by spin out; 02-08-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Does this noice appear only in cold weather? I have it on my Jazz too if I'm driving on a bad road (vibrations). Its started when the temperature droped under 0 C.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eljuero
Does this noice appear only in cold weather? I have it on my Jazz too if I'm driving on a bad road (vibrations). Its started when the temperature droped under 0 C.
yes. that's exactly right. it's much more noticeable when the temp drops below 0 C. ....and the colder it gets the worse the noise.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I think that in my case the issue must be the window or the rubber window molding. Because if I lower the window for few fingers it trembles every time and makes noice along when the car hit irregularities on the road. Even now, when the temperature rised over 10 C, but significtly less then before.
Will see what will Honda service have to say to this because when I told them about rattle noice they just lube the seals but this didn't solve the problem.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:38 PM
This rattle has been getting real annoying in my car lately. I'm not sure if everything was loosening up with age or if it was the cold weather. The problem seems much worse with the windows in any position except fully closed, but I know the rattle isn't the windows because I can grab a hold of the glass and the sound is still there.

On my car I can see the window frame of the door bend inwards to make more solid contact with the body when the window closes. Not sure if it's designed to do that or not?? Anyone tried bending the window frame inwards to see if it helps the rattle?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Driver's Window Seal Won't stay in Door Frame

2007 Fit Sport:
When the driver's window is lowered the stock neoprene seal peels out from the top/front corner and flaps around in the wind.
Dealer installed a new window seal twice (per Tech 570), lubed it many times, replaced Run Channel once (per Advisory 641).
It will last up to a year then comes loose again.
Dealer says I must be using window too much , but keeps replacing it.
After I push it back into it's channel and slowly raise window it does seal well and is quiet, just very distracting to do when passing a semi.
Anybody seen this one?