2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would love some help figuring out my USB problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Would love some help figuring out my USB problem.

I have been using a Sandisk cruiser micro 16GB for around 2 years now, and its been working well besides the fact that it lags a bit when scrolling through folders and songs. I finally got around to ordering a better flash drive, and I picked up a Corsair Voyager 32GB off amazon.

I copied the music over to the new drive, and my fit says its unsupported. I pulled it out, reformatted it to FAT32, and tried again with two MP3s. No luck, still unsupported.

There is nothing else on the drive but the two MP3s, and I dont think there are any partitions or other hidden files messing things up.

I would love any advice or suggestions on how to fix this!

Or better yet, does anyone have a flash drive that scrolls fast through folders and songs that works?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I think the slowish scrolling is due to the radio, not the flash drive. I use a PNY Attache 16 GB, and it's a bit sluggish too. Even with a slow flash drive, the directory can be read practically instantaneously.

What sort of a computer are you using to format the drive and put the files on? What are the filenames of the files (and, in particular, is the extension correct)? Are you sure the files are not corrupted or protected with DRM?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
it could very well just be an incompatability with the drive itself. the flash controller inside the usb stick may not be supported by your head unit.

i had that happen with my gopro hero 3 black, my canon camera, ITG2 arcade machine, etc etc.

see if you know anyone else with a 32gb stick and try it. you may be limited to very few models, or even 16gb sticks.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Don't want to post a new thread, so here goes:

I just bought a 2010 Honda Jazz 1.5 EX yesterday. Car is wonderful, sound system I fitted is awesome. Head unit telling me my USB flash drive is "UNSUPPORTED" all the time is not.

Info:

The drive is an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit (fitting name to be used in a Jazz, I know).

File is formatted in FAT32, with default unit allocation size.

Drive name is "SANFIT", so it's not too long.

The files on the drive are in format .mp3. It says "UNSUPPORTED" even if I only load a single MP3 on there, or if I toss my "driving folder" of 5GB on there. Makes no difference.

I have formatted the drive several times in Win7, using both Quick Format and long format (takes about 35 minutes) on two different computers, but to no avail.

This USB drive worked perfectly in my 2011 Hyundai i20.

I don't know what to do anymore? Any hints/tips/tries I can do?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FridayUnited
I have been using a Sandisk cruiser micro 16GB for around 2 years now, and its been working well besides the fact that it lags a bit when scrolling through folders and songs. I finally got around to ordering a better flash drive, and I picked up a Corsair Voyager 32GB off amazon.

I copied the music over to the new drive, and my fit says its unsupported. I pulled it out, reformatted it to FAT32, and tried again with two MP3s. No luck, still unsupported.

There is nothing else on the drive but the two MP3s, and I dont think there are any partitions or other hidden files messing things up.

I would love any advice or suggestions on how to fix this!

Or better yet, does anyone have a flash drive that scrolls fast through folders and songs that works?

Thanks in advance!

i dont know if related to your case, but in the past ive made files on my MacBookPro (itunes) that would just not play on my head units.

i went back and recopied files/re-ripped my cd's on my windows machine using WindowsMediaPlayer and it all worked.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:55 AM
It may have something to do with the mp3 tags or encoding—I would try re-encoding/converting the audio files, and make sure not to use an advanced or non-standard encoding profile. You can find plenty of free tools to convert the files online if you're not sure how to do it.

You also may want to make sure there aren't any hidden files on the drive. Sometimes there are "utilities" that come with new drives and they could be confusing the stereo. I'm not sure how to view hidden files on a PC, but there might be an option to do so in the view options/settings.

Wish I could be of more help.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM
This doesn't exactly fix your problem but if you burn the mp3 files to a CD- as data, not as music, so you can fit way more- you can fit a lot on a CD and you'll be able to listen to it all while you figure out how to solve the problem. In addition it may help you discover whether it's the usb drive or the files that are at fault.