3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

D2s Projector Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 PM
D2s Projector Retrofit

Bought my GK about a month ago, and I was trying really hard to leave the car's components unmolested but just couldn't go from BMW's HID's to reflector halogens.

I have previous experience with retrofits so retrofitting this car was relatively simple. No coding, load resistors, or permaseal involved.

Big thanks to those who came before me and provided pictures and insight. Primarily Noripwr, Superfly, and Tofushop. This eliminated guesswork or mistakes.

What went into the project:
Morimoto mini D2s Square Lens Bi-Xenon Projectors
Morimoto PanaSquare Shrouds
Morimoto H4 Moto Control Box Relay Harness
Denso (Kioto) Slim Ballasts
Phillips Xenarc D2s Bulbs
MG Chemicals Thermally Conductive Epoxy (for potting Ballasts)
Ferrite Rings (to reduce RFI)
3M Butyl Glue
RTF Silicon
3M Aluminum Tape (to eliminate light from the gap between the shroud and projector since I chose not to paint my reflector bowls black)

I don't have pictures of the process but there are already threads that document it.

Stalling Issue?:
I have not experienced any stalling while driving or parked. Tested the AM radio in a partially subterranean parking garage to maximize the effects of any radio frequency intermission caused by the lights and turned them on. No intermission noted.

Here is an article explaining the physics of ferrite rings and reduction of RFI. Neat trick, if you double loop through the ring, it doubles the filtration (sience b***h). You can test it using an o-scope if you don't believe me.

I also used the OEM Denso Slim Ballasts to help reduce RFI.

Why Denso Ballasts?:
I planned on using ferrite rings on the connector from the ballasts to the relay harness, however I was still paranoid that the ECM would receive static so I chose the Densos because they use a mesh that is grounded to the ballast housings. They mesh isn't only cosmetic, it works as a faraday cage where the greatest electrical discharge is traveling. The ballast to the D2s base.

Also, their warmup time is very fast.

Any questions you may have just let me know. This a great community/resource and I would love to contribute.

Thanks!

Last edited by 328isawesome; 09-09-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 PM
I like the OEM look to them.