3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Making HDMI work

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Making HDMI work

I just got a Fit EX-L yesterday. The hdmi doesn't work while driving aside from honda maps. I'd much rather use google maps. In theory, the HDMI isn't turned completely off. Its turned off unless it gets a signal produced by Honda maps.

SO, insted of trying to disable it from turning off, couldn't we just get an app to replicate the signal honda maps puts out and make the car think its a legit application? Has anyone found a jail break yet? I dont mind paying the 60 bucks, but i would rather use better software. Currently the touch screen does not work when playing videos in HDMI mode right? So, it would also need to fool the car into thinking its the honda app so it will send touch info to car. The tech is there, it just seems it needs a jail brakes phone app to tell it it's ok. Anyone know of any hack apps to make this happen?

I'd really like to be able to display my uber and lyft apps on the screen while driving to. So come on, can someone smarter then myself make this work? I dont think its as much about reprogramming the car then it is about making a fake app that the car thinks is the honda app.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Hey Cody, Welcome to the forums

The thread you want to read is this one.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-possible.html

There has been a lot of discussion on it as you can see. There are two methods of interfacing with the HU, Either HDMI which clones your phone display, or MirrorLink 1.1 protocol via USB.

Honda uses the HDMI and a bluetooth signal to "unblock" the HDMI input while driving. A few guys have been working behind the scenes sniffing out the canbus data and bluetooth data to see how the HDMI is unlocked while driving. Unfortunately it is slow going. Proprietary software that was rushed to market and not fully debugged is a great deal more difficult to work with.

Sygic sells an app that is mirrorlink capable and works great with the HU. I thought of getting this but the cost is around $90 USD. I use google maps all the time, but no HU display, I can still hear the voice direction via the stereo.

Hope this info helps, but you are in the same boat as the rest of us. Your suggestion makes sense to mimic the bluetooth unlock signal for HDMI, trouble is the SD card which contains the firmware for the HU is encrypted.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Wow, i'm new here lol....what is miror link? i googled sygic and see the navigation app. That still only lets you view that app, not anything else right?

Of course since bluetooth in encrypted to, its almost impossible to see what bluetooth signal is being sent right?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Cody Richter
Wow, i'm new here lol....what is miror link? i googled sygic and see the navigation app. That still only lets you view that app, not anything else right?

Of course since bluetooth in encrypted to, its almost impossible to see what bluetooth signal is being sent right?
Do a search for mirrorlink and you will get the info. Its an application platform to allow mirroring of ones phone to an external display with touch interaction. Sygic has a 7 day trail with full features and mirror link to the HU.

BT signals yes are encrypted but there are data "sniffers" that can read the data and with the correct cypher can decode it. Such ability requires time, experience, and a crap ton of money. Blame Honda. The main reason I'm willing to bet my balls on was for revenue security, masked as a safety feature. One is forced to buy their inferior software product, and brick the HU with any other software. They made sure if you wanted the feature that they would be collecting the money for it.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
The main reason I'm willing to bet my balls on was for revenue security, masked as a safety feature. One is forced to buy their inferior software product, and brick the HU with any other software. They made sure if you wanted the feature that they would be collecting the money for it.
I don't mind the money. I'd pay a few 100 bucks for honda to "unlock it".

For those talking about disabling the think that makes it know your moving...i dont think you could do that and keep your mpg readouts and all working.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Cody Richter
I don't mind the money. I'd pay a few 100 bucks for honda to "unlock it".

For those talking about disabling the think that makes it know your moving...i dont think you could do that and keep your mpg readouts and all working.
Nope, its all software based. Removing the sensor inputs disables more than what you want to disable. The software needs to be edited. Maybe someday a resident smart guy will be able to hack the software and give us what we crave in features and Honda failed to give us. I look forward to that day to where I can flip Honda off for screwing us over with an inferior product and wait for the next generation/model.