3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

TPMS warning light... nervous nancy

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
TPMS warning light... nervous nancy

So, yesterday on my way to the hospital the TPMS light came on... The car felt normal, so I took a quick peek at the tires when i got where i was going. They seemed fine. Later that day, i came out and the tires were all still inflated. i drove home and the TPMS light was still on. I checked tire pressure, i was at 33psi all around. i then used a different guage, same thing.

This morning, the TPMS light was still on. i checked tire pressure, and all were the same as previous day. I reset the TPMS light with the dash button, and it stayed off for this morning's commute.

So, i guess the TPMS freaked out for some reason. The drive to the hospital was "spirited", so perhaps when the car was sliding a few times, the ABS sensors took that sliding for low tire pressure? I guess i will have to keep an eye on it.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have a fit yet but upon reading here, it looks like the sensors need to be calibrated every time you do anything with tires

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
The sad thing is that with false alarms people will get into the habit of just hitting the reset button every time the light comes on and not check their tires.

Remember that this "feature" was mandated after the Ford/Firestone tire issue where they blamed problems caused by bad vehicle design and substandard tires on underinflation. Like many government solutions, it is worse than the problem!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The sad thing is that with false alarms people will get into the habit of just hitting the reset button every time the light comes on and not check their tires.

i hope you are not referring to me. i am religious with tire pressure, and have about 9 guages. each one of my cars & bikes, including my work vehicle has a tire pressure guage in it.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Mine came on once, and I went back to the dealer. I think they didn't reset it. But then again, when I refilled the tires recently, it didn't come on. Still, I'm pretty comfortable it was just a dealer failure when they first refilled my tires (I had gone back for a different reason).

Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by rodney
i hope you are not referring to me. i am religious with tire pressure, and have about 9 guages. each one of my cars & bikes, including my work vehicle has a tire pressure guage in it.
No, I wasn't referring to you, but if the TPMS light goes off too often when there is no problem with the tires even the most conscientious tire-watcher will start to disbelieve it.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 AM
The TPMS system in the Fit is (thank god) based on measuring rotations/time(n) at each wheel using the already-existing ABS sensors. The theory is that a tire which is under-inflated will rotate more over a given period in time due to their decreased functional diameter due to compression of the sidewall. However, if your journey should take you through an unusual share of corners that are in the same direction, it's theoretically possible that this would "fool" the TPMS system into thinking that the two tires on the side which is nearest to the turns are low on air.

Don't know if this is what happened to you, but it's theoretically possible.

Here's what's fantastic about all this. The TPMS regulation is total BS, it's the government saying that its citizens are too dumb to be able to check the pressure in their tires. Most manufacturers are solving it with battery operated pressure sensors mounted inside each wheel. Devices which will, without doubt, fail while you own the car, turning on the TPMS light and adding a hundred dollars to your next tire purchase. Honda, however, has gotten around this by utilizing existing components to satisfy the law without adding an ounce of weight or unneeded systems to the car. EVEN better, though, they've given us a little button to shut it off if it ever comes on.

TLDR: Check your air pressure and fluids regularly, like you should do anyway in any car and just reset the TPMS sensor when it comes on. Honda has given us an out from this bit of nanny-governance and I for one am very thankful for it.

{rant ends}

Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
If I see the light come on, the first thing I do is check the tire pressure. Tire warning light comes on like clock work for me each time the weather changes dramatically from Hot to Cold, and what I have to do is fill the tire to the desired pressure, reset the gauge, and drive it until the TPMS light goes out.

If the TPMS light comes on and the pressure is fine, than I call the dealership and make an appointment to find out why it's doing this.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:17 PM
If you check your tire pressure you have to reset it. Hold it down until it beeps twice, the light will go out after a little driving if there isn't a problem. If it doesn't go to the dealer

Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
...If the TPMS light comes on and the pressure is fine, than I call the dealership and make an appointment to find out why it's doing this....
And, after the dealer fiddles with your car for a day, they will return it to you with the statement "We can't reproduce a problem, the system is supposed to work this way."

Yes, the TPMS is a BS system, but the really sad thing is that it doesn't do what it is originally intended to do, warn of underinflation! It is either so numb to pressure changes that it only warns if a tire is nearly flat or it is so sensitive that it throws false alarms which drivers will quickly learn to ignore.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
And, after the dealer fiddles with your car for a day, they will return it to you with the statement "We can't reproduce a problem, the system is supposed to work this way."

Yes, the TPMS is a BS system, but the really sad thing is that it doesn't do what it is originally intended to do, warn of underinflation! It is either so numb to pressure changes that it only warns if a tire is nearly flat or it is so sensitive that it throws false alarms which drivers will quickly learn to ignore.
I personally would rather have this as a problem rather than having tpms inside the wheels. What a pita when they break. At least with this we have a calibrate button. Less of a headache in my opinion

Old 10-04-2014, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
I ran out of gasoline yesterday and after I put in some gas and restarted the TPMS light and all the other warning lights around it came on and stayed on. Where is the reset button to reset them all?