Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Hello from Ballard

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Hello from Ballard

Hi, I finally registered.

We have a 2015 Fit LX, with almost 20k miles now. We like it: it does everything we bought it for. Except carry bikes.

I love the exterior design: it looks Japanese in the same way the best English cars look English, or Italian cars look Italian. The Fit almost like a Kei car you'd see in Tokyo or a 3/4 scale minivan. Almost every Japanese car they sell to Americans looks generic and anonymous. They keep all the designs with character in Japan, presumably because they think American car buyers have no taste. Which is true, but still.

The dashboard looks like it was designed by three different people working on three different continents, communicating with each other by snail mail. They didn't even Skype. The rectangular blue radio screen, the circular, slightly other shade of blue digital screen, and the two analog dial gauges are a mess. Two clocks? Two fuel economy nags? Pick one, guys. It's cluttered and indecisive, and just ugly to look at.

The vast football field sized dashboard is cool in it's weird way, but when the sun hits it at a low angle, the shiny black plastic utterly blinds you. I got a trashy looking carpet dash cover (CoverCraft DashMat -- double check they send you gen3 Fit, not gen2!) that cuts the glare, making the car drivable.

The fold up rear seats and rear cargo area are brilliant. That's what really drew us to this car. I've carried enormous pieces of furniture in this car, and packed unbelievable amounts of campnig gear, family of four, and our dog in there.

The engine is wonderful: I love how it delivers torque at any RPM. It's not a sports car, but for an economy car it's like magic.

I posted today about the roof dent problem, and my solution for the cracking hatch handle plastic trim. The roof dent thing is really a deal breaker: Honda can't fix it, even if they ever admit it's their fault. It really cuts into the resale value of the car, and being unable to put any cargo on the roof without trashing it is not acceptable. The point of this car is its utility. The plastic trim thing is annoying, but at least now I know how to fix it.

Anyway, I spend most of my time fiddling with my 2005 Mini Cooper S, my motorcycles, and my '74 Jeep CJ5. The Fit is great in all kinds of ways, and we'll keep driving it for a few years, then start looking for something without these flaws.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, and great review. It looks like you have analyzed the car quite well.