Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

07 Fit Autox

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM
07 Fit Autox

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2007 Fit in November, and I am going to be autocrossing it in ST this year. My main aim is to make it a really enjoyable street car that I can take to the occasional autox, so I think it'll fit into ST nicely.

My first event was last Sunday, with the car totally stock on Nokian winter tires. I have a couple of videos. First one is me driving, second is a good friend of mine.

YouTube - Honda Fit, Michael afternoon run, Feb 6 2011

YouTube - Honda Fit, Rich afternoon run, Feb 6 2011

There were actually 5 Fits there which was kind of neat, including spoonek4 on this forum.

I'll have to get some pics up soon but I haven't even taken any yet

Last edited by denham; 02-11-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 AM
I copied this over from the Hawaii Autox thread to get things all in one place...

Originally Posted by CPat
Denham - I noticed some of your thread in the VCMC forum (and audi2000tq's comment ) Fit's probably most competitive in H-stock, but...then ST, then FSP, then ? I'm assuming you know the usual links to SCCA rule tables etc. Earlier Fit's are the way to go since there's no TPMS and CEL issues to skirt around for stock although the GE's have a bit more hp and tq.

Note the high stock offset required for 07 fits of +55. Friends up here that did a lot (like 6-7 set ups) of experimenting with wheels scratch their heads when they hear of people with +41 offsets not rubbing without bodywork mod's - especially if you're doing something like autox. ie a +38 offset with 205/50/R15 tyres moves the wheel/tyre towards the bodywork by ~32mm. When I have a full car and/or hit larger bumps on corners I rub at +45 (~25mm closer to the bodywork). More info on wheels that have fit without rolling fenders, grinding off clips etc can be found here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-shoes/38537-45-lightweight-wheel-thread.html

Nothing in 13"s or 14"'s like you're looking for, but who knows. Note the list at the start hasn't been updated for a while and you'll have to run through the thread.

A progress rear sway bar really helps handling. I've also heard of people taking out the FSB (the guys in the Phillipines) and adjusting spring rates to get more balance.

I've also looked at coilovers after getting some opinions on dampers/springs.
http://www.raceinspired.com/p-21915-buddy-club-n-coilovers-damper-kit-honda-fit-2006-2010.aspx

The swift springs also look interesting if you don't want to go right to adjustable suspension.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brake-modifications/20269-spring-comparision-2.html

Again the list is a little out of date, so you'll have to look up some of the newer stuff on manufacturer's websites.

The intake's a popular mod since the stock box really does twirl the air around. Note the stock set up is already a cold air intake whereas most of the after-market ones seem to be short ram intakes or variations thereof.
If you're going stock: 33-2359 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Note: if you get the weapon r race header with the cat delete it puts you into FSP (Sugarphreak in Calgary was there before he parted out) versus the weapon r street header. T1R (A & J) is is supposed to make a pretty good one too. T1r more in the mid rpms, Weapon r lower down (according to manufacturer's sales literature-grain of salt?) J's Racing is supposed to provide the best dyno, but also most expensive (cannot remember where dyno's were)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...1r-header.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...17th-07-a.html
J's Racing The X'tream Honada Ride

I've heard the pulley's may not be worth getting (T1R, unorthodox)-hard work, no measurable gain on independent dyno's?

I haven't looked into exhaust (this is my daily driver), but the dyno's on A & J's b pipe and catback threads look interesting.

All the interior bars also seem like they'd work in theory, but decrease my utility/hauling capacity.

I really like the short shifter;
T1R's harder to install but cheaper, https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...tion-tech.html
mugen's almost plug and play,
Mugen Short shifter - Honda Fit 07-08: Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST
H-Fit and Skunk2 have been combined (with the above and sheet metal modification) https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t-shifter.html
I've heard the circuit hero extender is worthwhile since it gets it closer to the steering wheel CIRCUIT HERO - Rare Goods for Competition Spirits | PRODUCTS

Quaife makes a LSD and after market final drive's are available:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...installed.html

A & J in Richmond also has a fair bit of stuff for the Fit; look for their sales at the end of summer, black Thursday, Xmas, and New Years.

Tyre reviews:
Top Tires: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine Articles
Texas Toasted Tires: Part 1: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine Articles
Extreme Performance Summer Tires
Best and worst extreme performance summer street (not track) tires - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
check good old google

I've heard the Star Specs are best in Canada because they heat up faster and since we don't get the higher temperatures like they do (for the most part) in the southern US. I've only run RE-11's and have been pretty happy with them. It's colder at 1200m elevation though. Not sure if contingencies affect your decision (I'm not competitive-yet).

Here's someone looking at mod or sp;
Racing Ready » Honda Fit, Extremely Modified, Autocrosses

Don't ship with UPS (they the most expensive and want more at the door) or set up a shipping address across the line for free/discount shipping like other's in Van have done. My sig below has the mod's I've done so far. I need to work on a lower control arm, then maybe-maybe swift springs after a wheel replacement, racing magnetics, and another driving school. Haven't worked out the racing budget this year yet.

I'd also like to get an aftermarket seat that's street touring legal

Have fun, maybe see you at the KSC, Packwood, or CAC Nationals in Ft. MacLeod.
Wow!! Thanks so much for your post, that's a fantastic help! So nice of you...

I thought about HS initially but I used to compete with my Miata in ES and I am done with having a car set up not quite how I like, and also having to switch to r-comps. I decided with the Fit to set it up as a really enjoyable daily driver, but I see that it will end up fitting very nicely in ST with what I want to do. I am not too worried about getting the maximum out of it for ST, especially initially.

I am now leaning towards 6UL in 15x7.5. I contacted 949 and they said they fit with no issues. But I guess fitting and not rubbing when autoxing are two different things They are +42 offset. Since the offset needs to be increased, I presume spacers would do the job? Do you know of any negative impacts with running spacers, especially if you're going to autox etc? (edit: actually no I think I'm looking at it the wrong way around, spacers will effectively decrease your offset, not increase it right?)

I am definitely leaning towards the Star Spec, as I have only heard great things about them locally. I did codrive an STS Miata last year on a warm day though and we had trouble keeping the front tire temps down. So that makes sense with what you said about them warming up easily.

As for other changes, I would like to leave the suspension pretty much stock for the time being to see how I like it. I am thinking of getting some SPC camber bolts for the front to get a bit of camber out of it, and maybe a Progress rear sway as I have heard good things about that. Have you had any issues with the mounting bolts rubbing on the rubber boot at the bottom of the springs? It looks like clearance is very tight from the pictures I've seen.

Thanks man!

Last edited by denham; 02-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah - I really don't know what to think with the wheel offset. There seems to be quite a few people on both sides, those that have no issues, and those that do. Tirerack says for example that a +35 works. Maybe it rubs on the suspension (?only moves in by 2mm with my setup?) I'm not familiar with spacers (your right).
I've used car bible's calculators to help me think about it - the wheel width 6.5-7.0-7.5 would changes things too... Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 3 of 4

For the Progress bar I used buttonhead socket type bolts and haven't had any issue yet;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ardware-2.html