1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Base Fit - Rear Passenger Door Lock - Maybe not actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:54 PM
2007 Base Fit - Rear Passenger Door Lock - Maybe not actuator?

A few months back, the rear passenger side door lock stopped moving with the others - whether using the key fob or the driver's side button, it wouldn't automatically do anything, but you could reach around manually and lock/unlock.

After just a bit of looking around, it seemed like actuators were the common issue, so I found this video (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...than-10-a.html) and figured enough things out for my '07 model and got the assembly out.

And with a bit of other information, I assumed, hey, it's gotta be the little motor thing, right? (https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-fi...fre-1822020333).

Well, the plastic housing containing the motor does not have handy clips in the '07 model, so here are my issues:
  1. I think I broke the plastic housing getting it out. If anyone has messed with this thing and not broken it or has successfully re-sealed it, I'm all ears.
  2. Once I got the little motor out, I touched a little 9v battery to it and darned if it didn't start spinning happily like nothing was wrong with it at all. So...was it not the actuator in the first place? Or is it still likely the little motor?
I don't know what to do next except try to gorilla glue the housing back together and reinstall, and just...deal with a nonworking electronic lock? If anyone knows of a better thread to direct me to, or a video that deals with the issue in 1st gen Fits, I'd be very grateful.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
The motor should not spin continuously it should take about 10(?) revolutions to move lever arm end to end; if it spins continuously, the plastic gear is broken inside

Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM
Interesting!

Ah! Interesting to know. I went ahead and ordered a cheapy replacement part. We'll see how that goes, but I could guarantee that mashing the thing back together with glue around the edges was not going to work well. Now I just need to finagle the thing back into place after the replacement arrives. If that ends up solving the problem, I'll repost and confirm.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
OMG! Mine went out too! (Symptoms are a bit different though)

What a coincidence, my right rear door lock stopped working just yesterday! Did Honda put a timer on these to go out 12 years later!
Anyway, my door would open and close normally, but would not “lock.”
The actuator appeared to still work, but the travel of the door lock button would not close fully. I didn’t want to leave my car outside unlocked, so I went to work.
I ended up taking the mechanism out and dousing it with brake cleaner. I worked the “locking” lever while spraying the brake cleaner into it for several minutes until the locking mechanism broke free. A lot of dirt and gunk came out as a result. Apparently the lock was “frozen” because of this dirty build up.
3 hours later...I replaced the door lock, and luckily it works now!
I realize my symptoms were different, but this might help others with similar problems.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
On 2007 CRV the door latches tend to break at far earlier age.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:00 PM
So: I installed a new actuator and put the whole thing back together, but I knew just by plugging in the new part that the actuator was not the problem - neither the old nor the new actuator responded to the electronic lock. So I put the door back together just to get the parts out of the way and hunt for a new answer.

If it's NOT the actuator, and the other door locks all respond without a problem, what could it be?

Could it be related to the aftermarket key fob - some kind of wiring thing done before I owned the car? Is there another likely culprit?

Physically, the door locks/unlocks and latches/unlatches without any problems.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Can be a wire brake (inside of the rubber bellow between pillar and the door)