1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

EGR Passage Dowel/Screw part number

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 10:19 PM
EGR Passage Dowel/Screw part number

Hi all,
Was going at the alternator today on my GD3 and hit a snag at the very end. I used the "nut on the EGR screw to get the screw threaded back into the block" trick and lo and behold, the nut is now fully cemented onto the screw and is bottomed out; I cannot get it off no matter what I try.

I have it sort of slapped together, but I'm fairly certain the EGR will be leaking. Problem is, I can't find a part number for that dowel (or screw, whatever you'd like to call it) anywhere. If I could even get a thread pitch so as to try and replace it at a hardware store that may work, but I'm just completely lost currently.

For reference, it seems to be "E-15-10" in this diagram, though I can't find that diagram anywhere.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pinkfit
Hi all,
Was going at the alternator today on my GD3 and hit a snag at the very end. I used the "nut on the EGR screw to get the screw threaded back into the block" trick and lo and behold, the nut is now fully cemented onto the screw and is bottomed out; I cannot get it off no matter what I try.

I have it sort of slapped together, but I'm fairly certain the EGR will be leaking. Problem is, I can't find a part number for that dowel (or screw, whatever you'd like to call it) anywhere. If I could even get a thread pitch so as to try and replace it at a hardware store that may work, but I'm just completely lost currently.

For reference, it seems to be "E-15-10" in this diagram, though I can't find that diagram anywhere.
Are you referring to one of those two double-threaded studs that hold the EGR passage onto the block? One of the 8mm flange nuts would let you get the thread pitch (assuming it's the same pitch at both the block end and the EGR passage end). This might be one of those cases you have to put yourself at the mercy of the stealership parts department.