1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Thoughts on improvements to 2008 fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Either reach across and pull the handle for your wife...Or get out, walk around the car, and open her door for her (very gallant and will score you points). You can push the button to unlock her door, you know.
Huh?

What I meant was that she can't reach the unlock knob, which is over her shoulder. The door handle is an easy reach. She gets upset because she has to wait for me to push the button, as there isn't an unlock button on her side of the car (there IS one in our Taurus, her dad's Windstar, etc.).

nodrogkam, Every car I've ever owned, except for the '68 Skylark, would open from the inside with the doors locked. Seems to me that your Mercury would have, unless it was one of the rebadged imports... All of the four-door cars I've owned had the extra 'child lock' in the door jamb that would disable that feature for the rear doors if necessary. If you're used to just pulling the handle and getting out, it does become an issue.

On a related side note: I am on the fence about the fact that the doors unlock if I close the driver's door while the key is in the ignition. It's nice to know that I can't lock the keys in the car, but I'm so used to hitting the lock knob as soon as I get the door open that I frequently end up having to re-lock the doors because I put the key in the ignition before I closed the door.

For someone coming from a lifetime of Fords, there is a learning curve. Some things I like, some I don't, but I do love my Fit.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM
you forgot the SUNROOF!!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by Juliane
Either reach across and pull the handle for your wife...Or get out, walk around the car, and open her door for her (very gallant and will score you points). You can push the button to unlock her door, you know.
so does that mean women aren't gallant?
why doesn't she open the door 4 u?
edit...oops saw ur last post after i posted

Last edited by SFactor2; 12-27-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned
Location: Negative Repland (exiled by fragile ego's and "can't handle the truth" babies) LMFAO ;P
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Huh?

What I meant was that she can't reach the unlock knob, which is over her shoulder. The door handle is an easy reach. She gets upset because she has to wait for me to push the button, as there isn't an unlock button on her side of the car (there IS one in our Taurus, her dad's Windstar, etc.).

nodrogkam, Every car I've ever owned, except for the '68 Skylark, would open from the inside with the doors locked. Seems to me that your Mercury would have, unless it was one of the rebadged imports... All of the four-door cars I've owned had the extra 'child lock' in the door jamb that would disable that feature for the rear doors if necessary. If you're used to just pulling the handle and getting out, it does become an issue.

On a related side note: I am on the fence about the fact that the doors unlock if I close the driver's door while the key is in the ignition. It's nice to know that I can't lock the keys in the car, but I'm so used to hitting the lock knob as soon as I get the door open that I frequently end up having to re-lock the doors because I put the key in the ignition before I closed the door.

For someone coming from a lifetime of Fords, there is a learning curve. Some things I like, some I don't, but I do love my Fit.
when kicking any bad addiction (like only buying fords or being on crack) withdrawl symptoms can be hard to deal with....glad to see u got that blue oval monkey off your back

Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
I really love the car, but here are things I would think would improve it:

1. variable intermittent wipers in front
  2. intermittent wipers in back
  3. a window lock that doesn't lock out the driver's control
  4. a dead pedal
  5. another light in the truck with an on/off switch
  6. a gas tank control inside the car
  7. in D mode (Sport automatic), the gear listed in green
  8. the front body molding a little higher to prevent scapes
Again, I'm not complaining, I really do like the car!

Problem solved. Clicky pow! If you have RHD of course