1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

replacement key cutting cost

Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
FYI just went through this... I'm into RC and transponders are used for lap times etc... There ARE different transponder systems out there...

I talked to a dealership that said that the 08 key was 1/3 the cost of the 07 key, however they tried to get it to work on an 07 and couldn't...

Now not saying i 100% believe him.. but i know that there are multiple transponder systems and if you try using one chip on a different systems reader it wont read... My .02 cents.. I've ordered one on ebay that specified it was for an 07 and i'm going to chance it getting the dealership to cut/program it..

Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
update. i had two keys cut from my orignal and then found the one i lost - i now have 4 keys - but for some reason, when he programmed the two new ones - now my old ones won't lock/unlock from the buttons but will turn the car on... he warned me that it might happen - saying something like a car can only have 3 keys programmed to it.. any thoughts?

Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
This might be of interest......

Episode #166 - 2nd Gen Honda Fit Base Keyless Entry - YouTube

Norman Draper

Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Would a Base model be able to have keyless entry with a Sport Key and reprogramming?

If I bought a Sport key and paid for the reprogramming, would that give my Base model key-less entry?

Or if I did the College Hills mod:
Would that work on a 2008 Base?

I have a 2008 Fit Base

(Sorry if this is a stupid question to some!)

Last edited by SlickdealDude; 01-24-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added year of my car.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisng
I lost one of the keys for my fit, and wonder how much it would cost to cut another key that works + program it. i found uncut keys online for like 40 bucks. but my dealer said it would be 160... that's ridiculous.. and we never got a valet key for our fit.. did anybody else get a valet?/ does anybody know someone who knows more about this stuff? thanks in advance.

update:
okay i went to the dealer and the normal prices are as follows:
105-110 flat reprogramming fee ( doesnt' matter how many keys done)
60-65 for the keys.

i found one dealer selling keys for 45.. but charged the full 110 for the reprogramming..
then found another dealer selling keys for 80! but reprogramming for 52.. so i asked him to price match the 45. he gave them to me for 60.. so ended up being 170 and i had a 25 off 150 service coupon.. so got two keys for 150...
We have several here who have had a replacement key made at Lowes or Home Depot but it is strictly to get into the car, not for starting it. Of course that works only if you have your keys in the car as when your dog locks the door with you keys in it.
Otherwise, youre better off, if much too poor, to hasve a dealer provide a spare set of keys. Damn poor Honda CS if you ask me.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Wink

I recently bought a used Honda jazz 2004 GD1 which did not have central locking originally and the guy who had it lost 1 key.

I asked a local car accessories store and was told that to make an absolutely 100% working duplicate it would cost me 70 euros. When I asked why the special cracker he told me the added value comes from the fact that the car has an immobilizer (transponder kind) which needs to be also copied to the key, otherwise it would just be a "dummy" key - useful only for the doors.

After a bit of online research I have now ordered a remote lock/unlock unfolding key WITH the system to install at the doors and connect to the cars ECU unit for something like 30 euros. I will then take this key to the local guy to copy the immobilizer from my current key to the 2 new ones and cut them in shape for 50 euros for both.

That means with a total of 80 euros, i ll get 2 new working keys & remote locking feature.

General advice (at least works in my country) avoid dealers.. go to local boosting / car accessory shops, they ll do a lot more to help you out for a lot less .

Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by oxydous
I recently bought a used Honda jazz 2004 GD1 which did not have central locking originally and the guy who had it lost 1 key.

I asked a local car accessories store and was told that to make an absolutely 100% working duplicate it would cost me 70 euros. When I asked why the special cracker he told me the added value comes from the fact that the car has an immobilizer (transponder kind) which needs to be also copied to the key, otherwise it would just be a "dummy" key - useful only for the doors.

After a bit of online research I have now ordered a remote lock/unlock unfolding key WITH the system to install at the doors and connect to the cars ECU unit for something like 30 euros. I will then take this key to the local guy to copy the immobilizer from my current key to the 2 new ones and cut them in shape for 50 euros for both.

That means with a total of 80 euros, i ll get 2 new working keys & remote locking feature.

General advice (at least works in my country) avoid dealers.. go to local boosting / car accessory shops, they ll do a lot more to help you out for a lot less .
"copying" immobilizer chip is not a good idea.
in such case, when you lost one of your spare key (in case someone steal it from you) your car would be in danger as you have the identical chip with your remaining key. The proper way to do this is to let the ECU to remember "each" of your keys.. up to six. so that you can disable any of those when you lost it.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by mcdull
"copying" immobilizer chip is not a good idea.
in such case, when you lost one of your spare key (in case someone steal it from you) your car would be in danger as you have the identical chip with your remaining key. The proper way to do this is to let the ECU to remember "each" of your keys.. up to six. so that you can disable any of those when you lost it.
Ye but in the same way losing any of your keys is a problem.

And how do you "let the ECU remember each of your keys"? How do you disable one you have lost? Can you elaborate?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by oxydous
Ye but in the same way losing any of your keys is a problem.

And how do you "let the ECU remember each of your keys"? How do you disable one you have lost? Can you elaborate?

Using HDS. It will communicate with your ECU and register any key with chips. You need to do ALL available keys at once. Those not being registered at the latest time will not be able to start the car. Suppose you have one key left and you got another new key with chips, you can register the 2 keys together and your car would recognize these two keys only since then. Your lost key would still be able to open the car door but not starting the car. I have tried on my car, since I have only 2 keys and not a spare one, I tried to disable one (means to register one only) and the disabled one wont start the engine (Green icon flashing).

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 AM
Using HDS. It will communicate with your ECU and register any key with chips. You need to do ALL available keys at once. Those not being registered at the latest time will not be able to start the car. Suppose you have one key left and you got another new key with chips, you can register the 2 keys together and your car would recognize these two keys only since then. Your lost key would still be able to open the car door but not starting the car. I have tried on my car, since I have only 2 keys and not a spare one, I tried to disable one (means to register one only) and the disabled one wont start the engine (Green icon flashing).
I see.. Is this HDS common then? All key cutting places have it?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 AM
I can't tell as it may be different all over the world.
It is not common in Hong Kong. Peoples uses after market computer to do the same job. Moreover, HDS need "password" to programme the ECU therefore the key store will need to subscribe to Honda service to get their password every year.
Thats why this usually charge higher.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
I can't tell as it may be different all over the world.
It is not common in Hong Kong. Peoples uses after market computer to do the same job. Moreover, HDS need "password" to programme the ECU therefore the key store will need to subscribe to Honda service to get their password every year.
Thats why this usually charge higher.
Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) is something that the dealers have access too. To my knowledge i dont think there are aftermarket HDS available for key programming.

HDS does everything to computer programming to systems diagnostics and most things in between.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Frustrated

I had a key made a few years ago at a shop for about $75, but the company is gone. The dealer here wants to charge me $285 for a new key. I've tried going to different locksmiths but none of them can do it. I live on an island and can't go to a different dealer. I tried ordering online through ebay, but they also said they can't get the right key. Any suggestions on what I can do- where I can go? Its a Fit Sport 2007.