General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

$161 for a key?!?!?!?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Exclamation $161 for a key?!?!?!?

It turns out Honda wants $70 dollars for a key and my local dealer charges $91 for an hour of labor programming the key for a total of $161 (not including tax).

They will sell me a key without the remote lock/unlock buttons (one that can get wet) for $35 + $91. My dealer will program any number of keys for my car for that $91 but I don't need 10 keys just to amortize the labor.

I find this outrageous - especially that they didn't disclose this when I bought the car. The parts person said he had been trying to get the sales people to disclose the cost of keys but has had no luck.

Is there a cheaper way to get a spare key?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mheyman
Get out your phone book (or look on internet...) and find other Honda dealers within a driving distance from you. I have 5 or 6 dealer that I go near on a regular basis.

Call the Parts Department of each and tell them that you are looking for a key for your Fit, and ask them how much it would run to get one made and programmed for your car.

You might be able to do this over internet by e-mailing these dealers.

If you have signed up on Honda Owner Link, then you can see a list of dealers that are in your area.

Good luck, and I hope that helps!!

Old 10-04-2006, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Yikes! That's expensive.

I used to get a spare key done for $1.75 with my old cars.

I guess it might be good to ask for an extra spare key when negotiating to buy a new FIT.

Good luck and let us know if you can find a better price anywhere.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
well they are 183cdn up here and .5 hour to get programmed.

it doesnt take 1 hr to program those keys, book time is .5hr so they are ripping you off.

People always complain why they cost so much but unfortunatly its the price you pay for security and it also helps on insurance too

Last edited by JDMish; 10-04-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
When I picked up my car the sales manager made a point of telling me not to loose the keys because they cost approx. $150 each to replace. Guess that's the cost of having an alarm system.

I believe that we are given a key code that needs to be given to the dealer in order to have the keys made, so I don't believe that you can order keys over the internet. That might defeat the security of matching the specific key with a specific owner...but maybe you can.

On my BMW motorcycles they had to have replacement keys sent from Germany because the local dealers didn't have the facilities to program keys.

There definately is a price to pay for security. Just go to an airport.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
chances are you can code them yourself. the remote start bypass that i used on my fit had a sequence for coding it to the car so id wager its the same as the key. id have to purchase a spare and try it though. i can pick one up next week and get back to you.

ford is the same way. they charge roughly $90 to program key when it takes about 60 seconds and it shows how to do it in the OWNERS MANUAL that people dont bother to look in. i know its not in ours but it amazes me when i tell my customers that paid $150 for a key i could have done it for $25 and made a profit. GG

Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
when I got my car i got 2 keys, are you trying to get a third?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
we only charge a half hour of labor, and that's only $34.75 to program a key.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by mheyman
It turns out Honda wants $70 dollars for a key and my local dealer charges $91 for an hour of labor programming the key for a total of $161 (not including tax).

They will sell me a key without the remote lock/unlock buttons (one that can get wet) for $35 + $91. My dealer will program any number of keys for my car for that $91 but I don't need 10 keys just to amortize the labor.

I find this outrageous - especially that they didn't disclose this when I bought the car. The parts person said he had been trying to get the sales people to disclose the cost of keys but has had no luck.

Sorry, they have been doing this ever since they started with the security key. Doesn't mean that the car cannot be stolen... BTW if you want a Honda locking gas cap and want your ignition key to open and close it (so I am told) think of the cost there! Auto Zone had a real nice locking gas cap that Fits; same as the Element for $12.45. Think of the money I saved!!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spider2k
chances are you can code them yourself. the remote start bypass that i used on my fit had a sequence for coding it to the car so id wager its the same as the key. id have to purchase a spare and try it though. i can pick one up next week and get back to you.

ford is the same way. they charge roughly $90 to program key when it takes about 60 seconds and it shows how to do it in the OWNERS MANUAL that people dont bother to look in. i know its not in ours but it amazes me when i tell my customers that paid $150 for a key i could have done it for $25 and made a profit. GG
When I bought my Ranger the sales guy suggested to buy the third key right there for $20. If you have two programmed keys you can use the truck to program the third. If not it was $80 total to have a key programmed manually. I paid my $20 and he even went out to the truck and programmed it for me.

Last edited by QuackXP; 12-14-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by spider2k
I'm curious; the service manual only describes a procedure requiring the Honda diagnostic tool. I know I'm going to lose a key eventually.

(Keyless entry is a another story; the procedure for learning a remote transmitter is: ignition on, press button, ignition off; repeat 4 times.)

Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Frank Patrick
I just paid $145.00- I know the key was $60.00-boy did I get screwed! I paid $85.00 for someone to press a button-NOT RIGHT HONDA!!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I have heard from a club memeber that the best customer service is Mazda first and Toyta a close second. With my recent experience with Honda... I guess he was right.... and yes... you did get screwed...
Honda... are you listening??!