1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

07 Fit MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyBoarder
I noticed a lot of MPG threads and everyone is talking about 'x' miles to a tank...does anyone actually fill up till the pump turns off, drive 200 or whatever miles, fill up till pump turns off and write down that number and do the math? The difference of a fraction of an inch in the needles position could mean a good half gallon to gallon, drastically altering numbers.
I didn't know there was any other way to figure out MPG for a tank. How else would you do the calculation if you didn't have how many miles you drove on that tank of gas?

I get anywhere from 20-25 mpg supercharged. Lower end being more city driving, higher end being more highway. Either way, MPG sucks. I used to get avg 26-27 doing 50/50 when I was NA.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
I wanna see how many MPG I get now with my tires around 45 PSI, the ride doesn't rattle me. I can't believe my dealer gave me the car with the tires just a little over 20 PSI I only got 27 MPG mainly city driving that way. I filled them up to mid 30's PSI and raised my MPG to 29, I just hope I get into the 30's now doing mainly city driving with 40 plus PSI and a freaking slushbox mounted to my drivetrain.

the tires that came with the Fit is recommended at 32 PSI!! you are lucky you did not have a blowout on the freeway...or else they would have had a HUGE lawsuit on their hands..
you should try keeping your tires at 42 PSI (cold) at first, drive around for about 20 minutes, and check them to make sure they didn't get too high while driving.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Koi
No need to assume people don't know how to calculate MPG. I don't see any posts before yours warranting a condescending explanation like yours. Also, it's ALL about how many miles per tank, since that's the figure you'll be dividing with the # of gallons you put in afterwards.

Also, OP, you divide the your total # of miles by the gallons you put in AFTER driving that tank - not what you put in before. That 9.6 gallons isn't going to have any bearing on end results. If you mentioned it but know to use the actual gallons you put in after driving, then ignore me please.

300 miles to a tank is GREAT in my book. I used to get 250-270 per tank before modding the car, using a Scangauge and driving as efficiently as I could. If you're getting 33.3 MPG per tank, that's about where you should expect it I would think - you're not driving a hybrid after all.

ok, these Scangauge's you see in the back of Motortrend, Car and Driver, etc. is that what you are talking about?
they have gauges from HyperTech, DiabloSport and Superchips on page 141 of MotorTrend's May 2010 issue.

some say you can remap the transmission shift points, (which would be good for increasing fuel economy, having the car shift sooner at a lower RPM,) and you can also optimize the air/fuel ratio.

when i am on the expressway and going about 65 MPH, the tachometer shows my RPM's to be about 2600 RPM...that seems pretty high for doing only 65!
my 2003 Honda Civic going 60 MPH, would run at about 2000 RPM
is there anyway i can lower my RPM's while on the expressway??

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ftlmatt
the tires that came with the Fit is recommended at 32 PSI!! you are lucky you did not have a blowout on the freeway...or else they would have had a HUGE lawsuit on their hands..
you should try keeping your tires at 42 PSI (cold) at first, drive around for about 20 minutes, and check them to make sure they didn't get too high while driving.
I am shooting for around the mid 40's PSI in them. My Dunlops do have a max PSI or 50.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I have stopped the high speed P&G + FAS on the interstate. The clutch work was too much for my 58 year old knee and messed with my 60min at 3.5mph walk-jogging every day. That cost me 10 to 15mpg on a 50mile dive easy. I still do it on my short rural drive.

My commute the last month is From Lake Worth to North Hollywood. About 45 miles. I found I can park it at 55mph on cruse no A/C and if the winds are not helping or hurting I get 45 mpg for that part of the commute. The wind can change the results +/-5mpg
Fit is still 100% stock less 60psi in the Dunlap P31's

Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
BTW I saw the stang pics so figure it's safe to show what I'm off-setting as far as carbon.
Owner, driver, engine builder etc
7.44@180 on mule
7.0@187 with a small plate

Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
i'm getting about 33 mpg at 70 mph mostly highway. not impressed since my CRV gets about 27 mpg at 75 mph.....but finding a parking spot in Brooklyn is a sinch :-)

Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I have stopped the high speed P&G + FAS on the interstate. The clutch work was too much for my 58 year old knee and messed with my 60min at 3.5mph walk-jogging every day. That cost me 10 to 15mpg on a 50mile dive easy. I still do it on my short rural drive.

My commute the last month is From Lake Worth to North Hollywood. About 45 miles. I found I can park it at 55mph on cruse no A/C and if the winds are not helping or hurting I get 45 mpg for that part of the commute. The wind can change the results +/-5mpg
Fit is still 100% stock less 60psi in the Dunlap P31's

i got rid of those horrible Dunlop's that came with my Fit...i went and put on Goodyear Eagle GT's on my Fit Sport. handles so much better and it improves on the already amazing feel of the electric power steering.
the Honda Fit is the ONLY car with electric power steering that i have driven that doesn't feel like the steering wheel isn't connected to the front tires. other cars with EPS have very numb steering feel...Honda's are great when it comes to road feel through the steering.
the only drawback of the Eagle GT's are that my MPG has dropped about 3-4 MPG and increased road noise...

Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM
OH NO!!!!! where did the FORD'S come from? i feel sick now j/K

Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrookinFit
i'm getting about 33 mpg at 70 mph mostly highway. not impressed since my CRV gets about 27 mpg at 75 mph.....but finding a parking spot in Brooklyn is a sinch :-)
That reminds me how a silver CRV parks right beside my silver Fit in my garage. When I look at the 2 side by side, I can't help but think if my Fit became the equivalent of Kirstie Alley it would be that ungainly CRV In fact the pic below reminds me of my Fit parked beside the CRV. I'm sure you can tell which is which in it

Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I got it, that's like pretending my Fit is a real sports car

I'll take the fat chick for long rides any day...specially with kids and a trunk full of gear.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
So i just purchased an 2008 GD Fit Sport with 30k on the clock.

Went up to Santa Monica Pier from San Diego and these are the numbers i got

I got to Santa Monica with an 1/8th of a tank over the half line, with cruise set at 70mph (right before vtec kicks in) and got 215 miles.

On the return it was late half way on the return i got bored with 70mph and went to 80 mph. And the efficiency significantly dropped

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ftlmatt
the only drawback of the Eagle GT's are that my MPG has dropped about 3-4 MPG and increased road noise...
That's a terrible loss in mpg's!!! I can't believe they have so much more friction.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
That reminds me how a silver CRV parks right beside my silver Fit in my garage. When I look at the 2 side by side, I can't help but think if my Fit became the equivalent of Kirstie Alley it would be that ungainly CRV In fact the pic below reminds me of my Fit parked beside the CRV. I'm sure you can tell which is which in it
That's a terrible thing to say about Kirstie Alley. After all, if you were marooned on a deserted island and had no food to eat, which one would you rather have with you? ... thin and sexy, or, large and succulent?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by super_fit
So i just purchased an 2008 GD Fit Sport with 30k on the clock.

Went up to Santa Monica Pier from San Diego and these are the numbers i got

I got to Santa Monica with an 1/8th of a tank over the half line, with cruise set at 70mph (right before vtec kicks in) and got 215 miles.

On the return it was late half way on the return i got bored with 70mph and went to 80 mph. And the efficiency significantly dropped
From what I can tell 70 mph is the optimum highway speed for Fits. I get my best mileage when I hold it right at 70 mph. I think others have said that too - either slower or faster, their mileage drops.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
damn...i only get about 250 miles on a full tank...but i live in south florida (Fort Lauderdale) and the air is on full blast ALL the time.
from December to February when it's in the mid 70's or so i don't run the air. then i was getting about 320 miles on a full tank.
about 60% city miles and 40% highway miles. at 65MPH, my RPM is around 2500, that seems a little bit high for a car with a 5 speed A/T..
i had a 2003 Honda Civic LX sedan and at 65mph, the RPM was around 2000.
i heard there are scanners you can buy to reprogram the transmissions shift points (shifts into higher gears earlier) and to reprogram the RPM to run lower at 65 MPH.
anyone ever heard of this?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i get 36.7 City driving in my 08 MR AT FIT with 21k on the clock. But city driving here is more like highway driving.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Update:

With 2 springs stiffening the gas pedal (sometimes my shins feel sore from the work it takes to keep the pedal down), and closely following the LOD gauge on my scangauge, I've been averaging 24 mpg all around. This is including the occasional boosted, WOT run.

I recently got my A/C fixed... and unfortunately my last tank was down to 22-23 due to leaving the a/c on 2 for a good duration of that tank. A/C really kills the mpg for me.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by srad2drag
First of all, I would like to say hello and I've been lurking on this site for a week or 2 before I registered.

Now I have a 07 Fit with 40k on the odometer. The car runs great but the fuel mileage concerns me. I inflated my tires to 50psi and dropped them down to 40 because the ride was alittle rough. I also put in some 0w20 mobil synthetic oil and a K&N filter.

All this has given me roughly 300 miles per tank. I also checked the spark plugs and they looked good. I ordered some ik22's anyway. I will install those when I recieve them.

In my research I have found that some Fit owners get good mpg and some dont. I hope I dont fall into the dont category but the way things are looking I'm already there.

Are there any other tricks or mods I can do to get my mpg better? Did I get a DUD Fit?

First, dtermining mpg by the number of milespwer tank, or fillup, doesn't have real measurements.
Instead, actually determine the umber of milesdrive from the last filklup and divide by the gallons you refilled.
Second, mpg on a Fit is highly dependent on the terrain you drive. You will get better mpg on flat level highways at 60 mph than at 70 mph or on hilly trerrain; likewise, the higher your speed and the more acceleration you do will cut back mpg significantly.
the tests we run hereshowpretty consistently 29 to 34 mpg; automatics are better on interstates thanks tohigher gearing, reaching 40 mpg; Manualshere get about 35 on interstates.
The shorter your trips, the more accelerating, as in traffic, and the maximum rpm you turn all take a toll on mpg. we have seen a Fit get in te low 20's during wionter, delivering papers.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 AM
how do you install an ETC to a fit? does it have to be piggybacked? my fit gets about 32mpg city when i beat the crap out of it. my 2003 Honda NSX gets about 2 6mpg city when i beat on it