1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What did you do to the GD Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced my EBC USR850 discs with a pair of Stop Tech's Cryogentically treated slotted rotors. The EBCs weren't too bad initially (installed them with Hawk Performance Ceramic pads) but it seems like they couldn't stand up to the much more aggressive Carbotech AX6 pads I'm currently running... More details on this later in my build thread/blog.

While everything was apart I scuffed up my pads with same 220 grit sand paper to get rid of some high spots in the friction material, replaced all the brake pad shims (transferred my OEM/factories on the AX6s) on my pads, replaced the brake pad retainer clips, and re-coated every shim, retainer, and caliper slide pin as needed with Honda lubricants.

The reason I replaced all of these shims and retainers is due to a squeal (and OCD) I had when driving the Fit without the brakes engaged. There would be a constant chirping or squeal depending on the temperature and road surface that would occur as I drive along which for me was extremely annoying! When parking (I.E. playing) in the damp, empty parking lot at work, the squeal/chirp was present as I puttered around. As I approached my parking spot, I tagged the parking brake to rotate the car around a bit... as it was engaged I clearly heard the squeal/chirp still happen as the rear wheels were locked up. Fast forward to 1.5 hours ago, test drove Fit after install to bed in pads and the noise was only present during significant weight transfer like downshifting or going over hard dips. Will have to further investigate this on the drive to work tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
So many things wrong with this post I'm not even going to start.

OCD? Just shoot yourself and be done with it kid.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Yea my Fit is sitting in the driveway broke.

SOB decided to throw the axle out at 75 on my way to work. So I've been riding a motorcycle to work in 10 20 degree days.

It's going to get fixed. I hit a pothole, couldn't really avoid it either, next thing I know. BOW and it jerked right hard. I got it stopped and the wheel was derped up.

Needs probably a spindle, tie rod end, ball joint. It destroyed shit on it's way out.
I'll fix it when I feel like messing with it. I owe the IRS so I can't afford to pay to get it down, or it would have been.

If I didn't work so far away I could drop her off for work, then go to work. But I work about a 25 min drive away, so I can't. Oh well, the bike's been a little trooper.

I get crazy looks too, people saying it's too cold for it. It's my only mode of transport right now, so I bundle up and go.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by breadtrk

What?

If, in your mind, to care about your car warrants that, you should log off, never come back and consult a therapist.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member

Aw a troll, how cute. Did someone run out of Icy Hot while fapping this evening or did the fan that was blowing over your can of tuna decide to crap out?

Please enlighten me or go grab a coke, smile, and play in traffic.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Yea my Fit is sitting in the driveway broke.

SOB decided to throw the axle out at 75 on my way to work. So I've been riding a motorcycle to work in 10 20 degree days.

It's going to get fixed. I hit a pothole, couldn't really avoid it either, next thing I know. BOW and it jerked right hard. I got it stopped and the wheel was derped up.

Needs probably a spindle, tie rod end, ball joint. It destroyed shit on it's way out.
I'll fix it when I feel like messing with it. I owe the IRS so I can't afford to pay to get it down, or it would have been.

If I didn't work so far away I could drop her off for work, then go to work. But I work about a 25 min drive away, so I can't. Oh well, the bike's been a little trooper.

I get crazy looks too, people saying it's too cold for it. It's my only mode of transport right now, so I bundle up and go.
Dang, nothing but bad luck lately with your Fit! Sorry to hear this but on the brighter side of things, at least you didn't get into an accident after the axle went.

Sending positive vibes your way man!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
What? High spots? Does his hand have a machinists surface accuracy? It is a damn brake pad, it will bed itself in.

There are no factory shims. Maybe he got the special edition uber factory spec rocket gizmo edition version.

There are no factory brake lubricants, unless he got the special edition uber factory spec rocket gizmo edition version.

"and re-coated every shim, retainer, and caliper slide pin as needed with Honda lubricants." What shims? What lubricants? There are none. You might put a very light coating high temp grease on the pin, but the factory never did.

Tagged the parking brake to "rotate the car around a bit"? Really? Is this Colin McRay?

If he hears noise from his brakes downshifting, he didn't know what the hell he was doing in the first place.

I can only hope he investigates a real mechanic tomorrow.

I'll leave this one to one of the old timers to tear apart.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Ok... I'll bite. Here are the answers to your questions with pictures.

Looking from left to right you will see Molykote grease, 1 EBC USR850 rotor, 1 Honda Fit brake pad shim kit (Honda P/N 06455-S5A-J00), and Honda's "Super Hi Temp Urea Grease".

What? High spots? Does his hand have a machinists surface accuracy? It is a damn brake pad, it will bed itself in.
In the case of brake pads, you are correct it is a "damn brake pad". That is the best way to look at it... "a damn brake pad". However, when it is brake pad with an aggressive compound like that of the Carbotech AX6 that actually sees AUTOCROSS sessions and is used for DAILY DRIVING as well then I'm pretty damn sure the user of those pads wants to get the most use and even wear as possible... especially if they push the car on a closed course periodically.

See these grooves on the disc where you can clearly see where the pad made contact? Those grooves which didn't allow my "damn brake pads" to seat properly and caused a high spot from cutting into my pads' friction material. You don't have to be a machinist to know that these grooves could negatively affect the contact patch with a brake pad... especially a pad with friction material that is MUCH harder than that of the OEM organic or ceramic brake pads. But then again what do I know, I'm just a "kid".

Name:  DSC_9530_zpsaa4aa56b.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  DSC_9528_zpsbf980a5a.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  60.6 KB

There are no factory shims. Maybe he got the special edition uber factory spec rocket gizmo edition version.

There are no factory brake lubricants, unless he got the special edition uber factory spec rocket gizmo edition version.

"and re-coated every shim, retainer, and caliper slide pin as needed with Honda lubricants." What shims? What lubricants? There are none. You might put a very light coating high temp grease on the pin, but the factory never did.
Regarding the shims... Your kidding right? I'm pretty damn sure that almost EVERY vehicle produced with disc brakes has some sort of shimming system that goes onto the pads themselves. Whether or not the installer uses them, I don't know.

In addition to that, Honda does supply Molykote with their OEM brake pads if you get them from a reputable Honda parts dealer along with has their own "version" urea grease... and rust penetrant... and silicone... and glass cleaner... and brake cleaner (which is strong as hell) and more.

Name:  DSC_9531_zpsa1f04468.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  DSC_9532_zps1b1502dd.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  91.1 KB

Tagged the parking brake to "rotate the car around a bit"? Really? Is this Colin McRay?

If he hears noise from his brakes downshifting, he didn't know what the hell he was doing in the first place.

I can only hope he investigates a real mechanic tomorrow.

I'll leave this one to one of the old timers to tear apart.
Have you ever tried diagnosing a noise to determine whether the source is coming from the front axle or rear axle? No, why? Not enough brain cells?

Do you comprehend what "weight transitioning" is at all?

I've been diagnosing this noise off and on for a bit (in fact you'll find multiple posts of me complaining about it). Some days it honestly drives me up the wall and other days it is tolerable.

The noise was predominately heard on the right side of the vehicle and with my typically hectic schedule I rarely have a chance to have some one either ride or drive my vehicle in order for me to perform any further diagnosis. Now, I knew how to get the squeal/chirp to start and stop. That was a matter of either hitting a few bumps or shifting the vehicle's weight side to side (which likely caused the pads to pop out of their grooves which they "re-seat" into during braking).

So if one can readily get the noise to happen... what is the valid thing to do in order to eliminate potential front or rear brake noises while braking? Engage the brakes for only ONE axle, in this case the rear axle because it is the simplest to engage by itself. Being that the vehicle being diagnosed is MY PERSONAL vehicle and I was in an extremely low traffic private parking lot that is frequently used for diagnosis testing, I can yank that damn parking brake as well as I damn please. Even if I'm going into my usual parking spot.

Now again, while the rear was locked up and rotating (which again is one of the moments I hear my squeal/chirp) I still heard the noise. That there, let me know exactly what axle the source was coming from and fortunately for me it was clearly audible on the passenger side.

With that said... Do you have any further questions, comments, gripes, bitches and/or complaints at this time? I'll gladly answer you... if not, have a good day or night.

Last edited by Hootie; 02-03-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I started messing with it this morning.

Ordered a bunch of parts from a few different places. Just gotta wait til this weekend.
The right side is all tore out. All the busted parts were cut with a sawzall.

I couldn't use anything again. I needed bolts, struts x4 ( really needed to replace them all and this is the time to do it) hub, axle, springs x 4 (same as struts) the crap that makes the passenger side wheel turn and some more. 1200 bucks later it'll be fixed.

I should sell the SOB. But its been a trooper, the axle could have happened anywhere I suppose.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
I started messing with it this morning.

Ordered a bunch of parts from a few different places. Just gotta wait til this weekend.
The right side is all tore out. All the busted parts were cut with a sawzall.

I couldn't use anything again. I needed bolts, struts x4 ( really needed to replace them all and this is the time to do it) hub, axle, springs x 4 (same as struts) the crap that makes the passenger side wheel turn and some more. 1200 bucks later it'll be fixed.

I should sell the SOB. But its been a trooper, the axle could have happened anywhere I suppose.
Well, it sounds like it could be a good time for coilovers if you'll be replacing all both struts and shocks.

Do you have any pictures of any of the damage from the axle snapping?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
J's Front Lip - Already scratched it at the bottom. ;_;

Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Ok... I'll bite. Here are the answers to your questions with pictures.

Looking from left to right you will see Molykote grease, 1 EBC USR850 rotor, 1 Honda Fit brake pad shim kit (Honda P/N 06455-S5A-J00), and Honda's "Super Hi Temp Urea Grease".

In the case of brake pads, you are correct it is a "damn brake pad". That is the best way to look at it... "a damn brake pad". However, when it is brake pad with an aggressive compound like that of the Carbotech AX6 that actually sees AUTOCROSS sessions and is used for DAILY DRIVING as well then I'm pretty damn sure the user of those pads wants to get the most use and even wear as possible... especially if they push the car on a closed course periodically.

See these grooves on the disc where you can clearly see where the pad made contact? Those grooves which didn't allow my "damn brake pads" to seat properly and caused a high spot from cutting into my pads' friction material. You don't have to be a machinist to know that these grooves could negatively affect the contact patch with a brake pad... especially a pad with friction material that is MUCH harder than that of the OEM organic or ceramic brake pads. But then again what do I know, I'm just a "kid".

Regarding the shims... Your kidding right? I'm pretty damn sure that almost EVERY vehicle produced with disc brakes has some sort of shimming system that goes onto the pads themselves. Whether or not the installer uses them, I don't know.

In addition to that, Honda does supply Molykote with their OEM brake pads if you get them from a reputable Honda parts dealer along with has their own "version" urea grease... and rust penetrant... and silicone... and glass cleaner... and brake cleaner (which is strong as hell) and more.

Have you ever tried diagnosing a noise to determine whether the source is coming from the front axle or rear axle? No, why? Not enough brain cells?

Do you comprehend what "weight transitioning" is at all?

I've been diagnosing this noise off and on for a bit (in fact you'll find multiple posts of me complaining about it). Some days it honestly drives me up the wall and other days it is tolerable.

The noise was predominately heard on the right side of the vehicle and with my typically hectic schedule I rarely have a chance to have some one either ride or drive my vehicle in order for me to perform any further diagnosis. Now, I knew how to get the squeal/chirp to start and stop. That was a matter of either hitting a few bumps or shifting the vehicle's weight side to side (which likely caused the pads to pop out of their grooves which they "re-seat" into during braking).

So if one can readily get the noise to happen... what is the valid thing to do in order to eliminate potential front or rear brake noises while braking? Engage the brakes for only ONE axle, in this case the rear axle because it is the simplest to engage by itself. Being that the vehicle being diagnosed is MY PERSONAL vehicle and I was in an extremely low traffic private parking lot that is frequently used for diagnosis testing, I can yank that damn parking brake as well as I damn please. Even if I'm going into my usual parking spot.

Now again, while the rear was locked up and rotating (which again is one of the moments I hear my squeal/chirp) I still heard the noise. That there, let me know exactly what axle the source was coming from and fortunately for me it was clearly audible on the passenger side.

With that said... Do you have any further questions, comments, gripes, bitches and/or complaints at this time? I'll gladly answer you... if not, have a good day or night.
Aggressive pads are noisy. Just my 2 cents. I have hawk ht10 and normal driving on streets they make noise but when I'm on the track no noise is heard. If u see in the description of the pads they say they are noisy. At least on my hawks. Ur pad is aggressive so I'd think its the same. I wouldn't worry about the noise so much but if u don't like it maybe try putting OEM pads and rotors on and see if that makes a difference

Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Cleaned snow off of it....again...

Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by short1
Cleaned snow off of it....again...
I am waiting for it to stop snowing so I can do it AGAIN.

Oops that is my GE

Name:  023.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  29.2 KB

Last edited by Black3sr; 02-05-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
im adding weight to the fit this week. dynoed at 161hp last weekend for my time attack classing but im 75 lbs over weight for the class i want to be in. i guess ill take out the lexan and put my windows in and regulaters back in as well. also ill put my ac compressor back in too. that and adding more fuel i should be there or pretty close. i was at less than a 1/4 tank at weigh in.

anyone else plan on going this weekend?? its in the socal area. Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...feb-8-9-a.html

Old 02-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
I am at a point I dont even know what I want to do with the Fit any more. OK that is a lie I know what I WANT to do, but that means $$$ and lots of it. I keep playing around with the idea of finding a Manual GD to have as a daily and lightly mod that one. The Jimmy is awesome in the winter but damn is it so BORING to drive.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Tires balanced and rotated today.

Also, trying to find/buy stuff from other countries suck when people there don't have PayPal...

Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I am at a point I dont even know what I want to do with the Fit any more. OK that is a lie I know what I WANT to do, but that means $$$ and lots of it. I keep playing around with the idea of finding a Manual GD to have as a daily and lightly mod that one. The Jimmy is awesome in the winter but damn is it so BORING to drive.
Salvage title Base and treat it as a winter beater! I would at least.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Got the fit back from the bodyshop and added a couple of goodies!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36894424@N06/12312389874/
Test fit of the eyelids;

Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM
ite
just waxed my jazz/fit
Name:  w5Ala2U.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  XPW00AB.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  YxaUlGC.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  102.2 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do to the GD Fit today?