1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Brake pads recommendation needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Brake pads recommendation needed

Hi,

Im thinking of going tracking so i need brakes pads to use on track and daily driving.

Can anyone recommend for a 2005 GD3 AUSDM model?

Regards,

Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Avoid using your OEM pads if possible, they will not survive a track session. If available give EBC greenstuff a try or Bendix Ultimate.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Would those pads go easy on the rotors? Or it depends on how i brake around the track?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
I go to Mission Raceway & Pacific Raceway myself. I would recommend Ferodo DS2500 with slotted rotors, and tighten up your rear drum brakes if possible(if AUDM Fit uses drum brakes like us). The DS2500 got very linear pedal feel & good braking feel even when it's hot out. Dust is easy to wash & not much noise at all. They worked out well on my bro's light tuned 05 STi few weeks ago when he went to Mission Raceway.

Last edited by spoonek4; 07-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Check out EBC redstuff.
I have a set along with their rotors, very happy with them.
Paid $65 for the pads, and $90 for the rotors on ebay. Your price
may vary in your country, but they do make them for the Jazz.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
i prefer the Hawk HPS pads. They are a definite improvement over stock. Good bite and easy on your rotors for the daily driving. Also i would recommend Goodridge stainless brakes lines for better pedal feel.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hollywood7
i prefer the Hawk HPS pads. They are a definite improvement over stock. Good bite and easy on your rotors for the daily driving. Also i would recommend Goodridge stainless brakes lines for better pedal feel.

I emailed Hawks.

They don't make pads for my jazz model

Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonno86
Would those pads go easy on the rotors? Or it depends on how i brake around the track?
Going with the red stuff brake pads will mean you'll have to change discs/rotors as well. Its the harder compound that wont gel well with the OEM rotors/discs. Also look into braided brake lines if you plan on taking your car around a track.
You could get away with green stuff as an OEM replacement but dont push they too hard on the track even though they'll hold up better than the stock pads.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit2bking
Check out EBC redstuff.

Regards to changing to the RDA rotors, does it require bigger rims? Since i have 15 x 7 +35 offset.

Does it fit well into the oem calipers?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonno86
Hi,

Im thinking of going tracking so i need brakes pads to use on track and daily driving.

Can anyone recommend for a 2005 GD3 AUSDM model?

Regards,

Check AU websites for Hawk HPS pads. They are excellent on street and track use. Hawk sites here have the pad shape for the app and that lets you verify the correct pad.And cost is very reasonable. These stop many of our track cars and racers as well. For a street car you track monthly you really don't need bigger rotors etc.. And you may check Performance Friction. ferodo has good pads too but haven't stopped our race cars as well as Hawks.
good luck. Do go with HPS; the HP+ are a bit aggressive as other posters have noted. Over 50 years we've run about everything there is, including some we made ourselves but Hawk HPS is the choice. And yes they are on our Fit ('Fit leading" on you tube).
With the front antisway bar removed and better shocks the Fit is great fun to drive even its not fast.

Last edited by mahout; 07-12-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Check AU websites for Hawk HPS pads. They are excellent on street and track use. Hawk sites here have the pad shape for the app and that lets you verify the correct pad.And cost is very reasonable. These stop many of our track cars and racers as well. For a street car you track monthly you really don't need bigger rotors etc.. And you may check Performance Friction. ferodo has good padstoo but haven't stopped our race cars as well as Hawks.
good luck.
First of all, Hawk do make pads for Fit. It shares the same front pads as JDM 92-00 Civic/Delsol DOHC VTEC & I believe 02-04 USDM RSX base. They use what I call the 1614 front calipers. So if the sales person can't find it, tell them it shares the same pads with the Honda model listed above.

I've been street, autocross & track using Project U Bforce,Hawk HPS & HP+,Porterfield R4S,Endless CCR & these Ferodo DS2500 pads on my Fit, my EM1 civic & my bro's 99 civic hb with B18C-R swap. Stock calipers btw, none of these cars is/was running big brake kit.

I gotta say I hated Hawk HP+ the most no matter on street or track. It's got very very loud grinding noise & tons of coarse dust that is really hard to wash away if u leave it on for a few more days. If it sticks on to your car's fender/panel then u gotta do some good detail to it & hope they can be waxed off.

HPS wise, I'll say they're a bit better than the stock pads, similar to the Project U Bforce but a bit louder. Good autocross pads especially for underpowered cars coz it doesn't slows u down too much. Pedal stays firm, but just don't feel like the car is slowing down much when I go to Pacific Raceway. That happened no matter when I was driving my EM1 B16 civic coupe(u guys have it in Australia too!) and my GD3 Fit.

Btw I have about -1.5degree front camber and both 0 toe & tiny bit toe out on both my civic & my Fit, nothing that extreme. Tire pressure usually set at 30-31psi HOT(set tire pressure after I finished a session). Been using Advan A032R H compound on my civic & Falken Azenis RT615 on my Fit.

Which track are u going to anyways? Wakefield? Oran Park?

My in car video:
YouTube - aug09session2 2

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
^ great info...

how'd the porterfield's compare to the hps?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
^ great info...

how'd the porterfield's compare to the hps?
U're welcome...

Pretty much the same however, I do need to warm them up for a little bit during winter here in Vancouver, BC. Which outside temperature ranging from -5c to about +5c~ish during day time.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
that would be understandable...

i generally like the hps', but don't like what they do to the finish of my wheels... thoughts on the ebc green's compared to the hps?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
My suggestions, if you can find them in Australia:
- Tanabe red or orange (beware it's a pretty dusty pad)
- Project Mu Type-NS
- EBC Yellows (Greenstuff doesn't have good feedback here)
- Endless (if cost is no object)
- Winmax (if cost is no object)

Originally Posted by gynosis
Avoid using your OEM pads if possible, they will not survive a track session. If available give EBC greenstuff a try or Bendix Ultimate.
Actually they will. I've already used my OEM Honda/Nissin pads on two trackdays, no problem. I was amazed at how well they stood up to the abuse.

Perhaps it depends on the track in question and the max speed before braking. My two trackdays were at Subic International Raceway where my low-powered GD1 has enough grunt for a Vmax of 125 km/h before braking at the first turn. A GD3 driven the same way will likely do 140 or so.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
that would be understandable...

i generally like the hps', but don't like what they do to the finish of my wheels... thoughts on the ebc green's compared to the hps?
EBC used to be quite popular when it was maybe 10years ago. But since we have wayyyyyyy more choices now I haven't heard anyone using that nowadays, not even on Euros.

My top speed reaches almost 170kph at the end of front straight at Pacific Raceway, and as u can probably see there's quite some elevation changes. And Ferodo DS2500 can handle that kinda abuse without any problem. So I would say these pads can handle Eastern Creek, Wakefield & Oran Park without problem either.

"There is a total elevation change of 125 feet, of which 100 feet occurs in 1/2 mile, between turn 2 and turn 3B."
Pacific Raceways - Where The Excitement Is Accelerating.....For The Entire Family!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
I had my OEM pads replaced last November, Ive done about 20 000km on them (which is my all time record for Honda pads). I went on the track about 3 weeks ago, I barely pushed the car, my speeds werent going over 120km as I knew that I had to baby the brakes. I must have maybe done 10 laps spread out over 3 sessions during the whole day. At the end of the day, as I was leaving the track, I heard the infamous squealing noise coming from my pads. I believe that little bit on the track must have eaten away at about 20% of my pads, now they need replacing. So yes, you can go on the track with OEM pads, I dont recommend it, because if you wanna push the car, you will get brake fade, BADLY, and with the excessive heat, your discs might warp too.
Also keep in mind that if you replace the OEM pads with a performance one, the OEM discs are very soft, just like the pads, so you will more than likely have to replace the whole system otherwise you will just start going through discs like there is no tomorrow.
I was very happy with the set of EBC greens i got, they never faded on me, they had a good bite and they lasted almost twice as long as an OEM set of pads

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
^ did you do the brake fluid as well?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
You might try StopTech's Street Performance pads. They are suitable for street and track.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
Where did you get these? I've dug around and haven't been able to find redstuff for the fit...just green.

Originally Posted by fit2bking
Check out EBC redstuff.