1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sport keyless entry in Base Fit

Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM
eeg
Sport keyless entry in Base Fit

I just successfully made a Fit Sport keyless entry fob work with a modified keyless entry system on my Base 08 Fit, and I thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to do the same.

I installed the standard keyless entry package on my Fit a while ago, but I recently had to get a new key cut, and I decided to get a Fit Sport key with the keyless entry remote built-in. I went to my local dealer (Hyannis Honda), and it took some convincing to get the parts guy to sell me a Sport key. In the end, he was sufficiently curious that he sold me a key with the remote for the cost of the Base key ($60). Nice guy, but I'm pretty sure that the "I'm not sure it will work" discount only works once, so please be reasonable if you go there.

The immobilizer RFID chip didn't present a problem, and the new key started the car after they programmed it in. However, the keyless entry system didn't recognize the remote on the new key.

This is, of course, related to the fact that Honda decided to use a different keyless entry receiver with the add-on kit for the Base model. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Fortunately, replacing the keyless entry module is trivial. The unit used on the 07-08 Sport is a 38385-S9A-A01 (there is also an older part number, but this is the current one). It's also used on a number of other models, including the Element, CRV, etc. Since it's so common, I was able to find one on EBay for about $70, including shipping. New, it looks like they run about $115.

Installation is pretty easy, as you may remember from installing the keyless entry add-on. The keyless entry module is located next to the fuse box, and you can access it by opening up the fuse cover. (You'll recognize it, but it's on the left side). Remove the green connector from the bottom, and then reach underneath it to press down the locking tab and pull the old module down. (Be careful, as there are lots of unfinished metal edges in there... I managed to cut myself several times.) Plug the connector into the new module and snap the new module in its place.

Now, you can just follow the usual procedure for programming the keyless entry remote (turn the key, press the button, etc.), and it works! (At least, it did for me.)

Something to keep in mind: After you do this, the old Base keyless entry remotes (the ones that aren't part of the key) won't work. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine, but I'll probably make a post over in the buy-sell-trade board.

Hope someone finds this useful,

Eric

Old 09-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Required wire harness

Hi eeg

I would like to do the same but I cannot get this setup to work without the required jumper harness to connect the keyless receiver to the main harness and fuse block. Do you have a part number from the harness you used? I'm not sure if I can get the jumper harness from the dealer without buying the keyless entry kit.

Thanks