1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Rear Door Removal **Tech Help please**

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Rear Door Removal **Tech Help please**

Hi guys, need to replace my left rear door. Looking up the part has kind of confused me. Hoping there is a tech out there or someone knowledgeable in this to advise.

If you look at my image, it shows an actual door frame and the “skin set” (referred to as outer panel on another site)
I want to replace the door because of accident. Someone backed into it.

Looking at the actual door on the car, it does not appear the door can have a separate outer panel or Skin that would attach to the actual door. I was a Honda tech at one time, been out for about 8 years, so replacing a door and swapping the parts should not be a terribly difficult job.

Hoping a tech could help only because I this info I got looks to be out of a Honda parts catalog. Any info would be appreciated.
Name:  untitled-1.jpg
Views: 5249
Size:  79.0 KB

Thanks for your time. Josh

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
The edge of the outer door is folded over the inner door. It's then sealed with automotive caulk. You're better off just getting the whole door. GL

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by john380
The edge of the outer door is folded over the inner door. It's then sealed with automotive caulk. You're better off just getting the whole door. GL
Thanks John,

My concern is looking at that parts catalog, does not appear that Honda sells the door in its entirety. If I can buy the whole door I would do that for sure. I want to keep OEM parts on the car.

Do you have experience in this? Or know if this is possible?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
Try a local scrap yard or Ebay for an entire door.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by splinters81
Thanks John,

My concern is looking at that parts catalog, does not appear that Honda sells the door in its entirety. If I can buy the whole door I would do that for sure. I want to keep OEM parts on the car.

Do you have experience in this? Or know if this is possible?
Your welcome, Honda has strange nomenclature sometimes but the items labeled 1 and 2 should be the whole door shell (the assembled inner and outer panels, please note you will have to get it painted and transfer all the guts of your old door to the new shell). I'd confirm with a call to a Honda parts counter to be 100% confident. I don't have direct experience but I've worked on cars for a while and I've had cars in the body shop before and I ask lots of questions.

Originally Posted by Black3sr
Try a local scrap yard or Ebay for an entire door.
Excellent suggestions! I'm fond of the scrap yard myself, I totally forgot about those options.

Last edited by john380; 11-30-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:02 AM
(Old post I know)

I have two Fits/Jazzes - a 2003 and a 2007.

They both have doors that I want to replace. (2007 right hand front and right hand rear, 2003 right hand front). I can get 3 doors from a local scrap yard. I can also get hood/bonnet and tailgate all in the correct colours !

I have started with the right front door (Drivers side in UK) and have removed the inner panel. But I don't see how to disconnect the wiring loom and I don't want to just cut anything until I know what's what. I have released the boot where it inserts into the edge of the door, and in the pillar, going in towards the fuse box. But I don't see a connection there.
Do I have to release the loom from everything in the door, and feed it out through the door edge? Or is there another way?
(Then of course I will disconnect the check strap and undo the hinges).

And I will want to know how to remove the other doors as well.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Old 03-14-2020, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stevert
(Old post I know)

I have two Fits/Jazzes - a 2003 and a 2007.

They both have doors that I want to replace. (2007 right hand front and right hand rear, 2003 right hand front). I can get 3 doors from a local scrap yard. I can also get hood/bonnet and tailgate all in the correct colours !

I have started with the right front door (Drivers side in UK) and have removed the inner panel. But I don't see how to disconnect the wiring loom and I don't want to just cut anything until I know what's what. I have released the boot where it inserts into the edge of the door, and in the pillar, going in towards the fuse box. But I don't see a connection there.
Do I have to release the loom from everything in the door, and feed it out through the door edge? Or is there another way?
(Then of course I will disconnect the check strap and undo the hinges).

And I will want to know how to remove the other doors as well.

Thanks for looking.

Steve
If there isn't a connector in the door that goes to the rest of the car, I'd check within the car going towards the door...

Old 03-15-2020, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by julianachos
If there isn't a connector in the door that goes to the rest of the car, I'd check within the car going towards the door...
Hi

Thanks, yes. I cannot see any connector between the door and the car. If I remove the inner door panel I can see how to disconnect the loom from the door, and can probably feed it through the edge of the door when I remove the door (with a helper). But the other end goes towards the fusebox, and without removing the panels around there I cannot see how that disconnects.

And that's just the driver's door (and after I have removed the inner panel). Ideally I would like to hear from someone who has had to do this themselves, and on the other doors as well and the tailgate. That would speed up the process at the scrapyard - I would know what I am going to have to do and so I could spend as little time in the scrapyard as possible.

If I can't work out how to disconnect my doors cleanly, as a last resort at the scrapyard I could cut the wires between the doors and car and deal with the consequences later.

Steve

Old 02-04-2021, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stevert
Hi

Thanks, yes. I cannot see any connector between the door and the car. If I remove the inner door panel I can see how to disconnect the loom from the door, and can probably feed it through the edge of the door when I remove the door (with a helper). But the other end goes towards the fusebox, and without removing the panels around there I cannot see how that disconnects.

And that's just the driver's door (and after I have removed the inner panel). Ideally I would like to hear from someone who has had to do this themselves, and on the other doors as well and the tailgate. That would speed up the process at the scrapyard - I would know what I am going to have to do and so I could spend as little time in the scrapyard as possible.

If I can't work out how to disconnect my doors cleanly, as a last resort at the scrapyard I could cut the wires between the doors and car and deal with the consequences later.

Steve
I was finally able to find a replacement door for my 2007 Fit Sport at a local junkyard and am looking into how I would properly disassemble it on site to bring back home. Did you ever figure out the "best" way to do this yourself, or did you just end up cutting the wires between the door and car?

Aside from that, I also realized that the lockset would need to be transferred from my old door to the new one... does anyone know how difficult/possible this is? I found 1-2 Youtube videos on the topic but they weren't very informative.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
I've never done it and don't have a first gen anymore but this is what I found

Wiring Connectors for doors

Front Driver Door

Rear Door

Front Passenger Door

As for door locks
around 5 minutes he gets to the cylinder I know its for a 2013 but it looks similar on the parts diagram.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Oh cool, thanks for the info tyrtill! The diagrams are very helpful, and hopefully swapping out the lock mechanism is fairly straight forward once you disassemble things.