1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Bad front wheel bearings? Help!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
btw just checked out that link....prices are insane. I'll bookmark it and look into them a bit more. They have as much info as bernardi and collegehills and its a bit easier to find the parts. Anyone here purchase from them?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 AM
I've never dealt with them, but they were recently in post on the forum within the past week or so. I took a look and they seem quite reasonable, they're out of central Florida I believe.

The hub is pressed on the bearing and the bearing is pressed into the knuckle. That's what holds it all together, the drive shaft sticks in through the back of the knuckle. Your hub is good, you really only need the bearing. Least that's how I see it.

There really is quite a bit going on. You've got ball joints and a drive shaft end as well as a speed sensor and brake caliper. I'm down with the mechanic, be a good idea to run it all by him.

I've gone with your approach and spoke w/ my mechanic before I ordered parts - it paid off big time for me. I was swapping out the rear air-shocks on my last Cadillac for conventional as well as replacing the rear knuckle bushings. Though my mechanic could have gotten the shocks at a good price.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I would buy hub and new bearing just incase the hub is scored , but thats my option

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Jaaa, Like SolBrother had said, I went in to Firestone to get a free inspection cause I'm getting a "Woo woo woo" sound when I get to high speeds and they found my front right wheel bearing to be "Shot" and they quoted me at about $300...
..At this time I chuckled and said "Woah, That's too CHEAP.!!" and walked about LoL

A couple days later I went to Autozone and got an estimate on all four brakes, two disc (brakes), and Two (front end) wheel bearings and totaled out to about $190, BTW I have an '07 Fit [GD3]

Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calteg
Getting a low grumbling noise from the front end recently. Silent until 20mph, then gets pretty loud, especially when turning, then oddly quiets down at bit at 60mph.

Is this a bad hub assembly? Any tutorials on how to fix it?

I vote foir the universals; ie CV joints. Wheel bearings usually have a squeal or whine rather than rumble. At your mileage it could be either but the 'when turning' is key evidence to me.
Go fix whatever it uiis tho, you will be stranded when it fails.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:35 AM
so for a noob how much am I expected to pay to fix this howling noise that increases after 40 km/hr? although strange it gets quieter a bit at highway speeds but very prevalent at city speeds.

I have coasted with the car engine off and have confirmed the noise on the front passenger side. Someone said I could just take the knuckle off and have it pressed? Any idea how long I can drive on a bad bearing before the wheel locks up?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vap3
so for a noob how much am I expected to pay to fix this howling noise that increases after 40 km/hr? although strange it gets quieter a bit at highway speeds but very prevalent at city speeds.

I have coasted with the car engine off and have confirmed the noise on the front passenger side. Someone said I could just take the knuckle off and have it pressed? Any idea how long I can drive on a bad bearing before the wheel locks up?
I just recently had my drivers side done. Good rule of thumb, whatever way you turn the vehicle to create the noise, its typically then the opposite side wheel bearig thatll need replacement.

As for how long.... youll want to replace it ASAP as if that fails, itll result in a more costly repair as youll damage quiet a bit more.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:47 PM
I haven't heard the noise during cornering yet, and the noise has not increased... been 400 km so far... mechanic been loafing on me... i might have to bail on him and go to someone else. Funny the issue is not money but the lack of incentive? I dunno I will keep yall updated.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Mine makes a rumbling noise at the rear. Sounds like there's a helicopter behind me. Asked someone and he said bearings should be replaced altogether because of the ABS.

How true is this?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
bearings do not need to be replaced in pairs or sets.