1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

DIY Remove drivers KEY LOCK HOW to???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 AM
DIY Remove drivers KEY LOCK HOW to???

Hi the drivers side key lock died (jammed will not rotate)and am unable to remove it.

I see in the repair manual that a U shape retainer keeps it in place, but mine has none how the heck is it held in ?

2004 gli Australian thanks in advance, nice to be here.

anyone with pictures
Tony

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
I assume you have a GD 08. According the manual you also have to remove the 2 screws in the cylinder on the inside of the door. If it is the GE model it is very different.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks einstein77
Click here for photo driversdoorlock | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ok I see two versions one with a retaining clip and one with two bolts

Still will not come out for the life of it as you see the screw driver marks , what is keeping it in place??
Thanks again

Last edited by 46bradshaw; 01-28-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Your version, based on the diagrams, has the clip. You won't be able to pry it away until you remove the clip. You will have to locate it. It will be directly below the plate you are trying to pry away. Because it is in the up and locked position it will be very difficult to see and you'll have to look for it directly under the cylinder, and nuzzled up. It will appear like an immovable part because so little can be seen. You'll have to use a small dental pick or extremely small screwdriver to start to move it away from the cylinder. Try rotating the assembly to get a better view of the bottom.

Here's another method I've used to start these types clips moving: Take a thin, but durable cloth like a handkerchief. Hold each end with your two hands and slide the material down behind the lock assembly. The material of the cloth will contact the clip from the top. Giggle the cloth back and forth. The material will start catching on the ends of the clip. Keep giggling the cloth and pulling down. The cloth will catch on the clip ends and the pressure downward will move the clip down where you can start to see it appear below the cylinder. When the clip starts to appear, use the screwdriver to remove it downward.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Ok I got it off and have included Photos for other people.

I actually bent a metal support and could just just just see the clip and drilled on either side into the plastic put a screw driver into the drill hole and prysed(sp) into and under the clip and then it pop out.

The correct way is you need to hook the clip from the door latch side and slide it down about 10mm at the same time it will stick out at the bottom a little and use a screw driver to lever it down.

Is it a bad design YES they only had to make a small gap in the plastic or the centre of the clip need a large bend or the top of the tab could have been larger.

The Jammed up lock is ? due to the coating coming off the pins in the tumbler
I have left out the first 2 pins and springs no need to replace the key/tumbler 100k on the car.

Can a stuck lock be fixed without removing it ? Not sure but if you can use a teflon spray and VIBRATE a key it may release Saturate the lock every day for a week and if you can use something like an electric sander to vibrate the key /tumbler/pins you have a very good chance.

Removing the pins is not a big problem and if all of them come out you use your key and put them in one at a time , you will figure which goes into which slot .

Thanks everyone.

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Great pictures. The small clip looks like a major hassle. I wonder how the Honda dealer does this job... probably throws away the whole door and charges the customer. Great job.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Ge?

[QUOTE=einstein77;1068566]I assume you have a GD 08. According the manual you also have to remove the 2 screws in the cylinder on the inside of the door. If it is the GE model it is very different.[/QUOTE

I have a GE with the same problem, so an interested how the GE is different?

Old 11-24-2022, 12:37 PM
Mine is doing the same and because the tumblers are on the sides freeing them with fluid cleaners (I used carb cleaner as it dries instantly but nothing I have tried works beyond the initial clean, turn key a few times and remove for more than a few minutes. yes I tried lubricants. maybe a graphite sprayed into it immediately after the carb cleaner and repeated several times would.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
It will make matters worse.