1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help Regarding MT Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Help Regarding MT Fit

Hi guys need some feedback regarding some gearbox issues with my manual GD.

I have noticed that when the gear lever is in the neutral position, its very stiff when moving it from side to side, I have to use a lot of strength or even sometimes the use of 2 hands in order to shift to 5th gear or reverse.(I drive a RHD fit) Shifting to first and second ie. moving the lever to the left is also stiffer than before but not as serious as moving the lever to the right.

I have no problems in getting it INTO the gear but it's the left and right motion that is very difficult.

Anyone here encountered the same problem as me care to help or any experts care to share the possible reasons for the problem?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 PM
I used to have this stiffness trying to move it to the right but over time it's gradually been going down as I use it more and more. Not sure what causes it though. I HAVE noticed that it really does not like to move into the Reverse position properly and likes to get stuck halfway...

Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Regarding stiffness shifting into top gear - that might just be a lack-of-use issue? I've had my car for almost seven years and it clicks into gear just fine, with little resistance. Sometimes I even shift too fast for the synchros.

Originally Posted by Angrypencils
I HAVE noticed that it really does not like to move into the Reverse position properly and likes to get stuck halfway...
I get this, too. My GD was bought second-hand, so I thought this was from the previous owner, but apparently they're all a bit stubborn committing to a shift into Reverse.

My observation is when you do back up with this half-baked "halfway-into-Reverse" shift, the car's much noisier. No gnashing of gear teeth, but it's a noticeable sound and definitely different from the usual hum of a car going in reverse.