1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help!! Knocking noices on full lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Did the noise start after you installed the coilovers? If yes, then start looking from there before you start suspecting the cv joints. Is everything tightened to spec, top hat, spring perch, all other hardware in place?

It might be something simple like the swaybar/endlinks not having clearance on full lock. Or the spring is binding. Or maybe your wheel is loose. Check whatever you touched first.

A CV joint problem is probably one of the costliest problems it could be. So don't go into the shop talking about how you think you might need a new CV joint or axle because people on the forum suggested it. They might easily fix your problem by making a couple adjustments, tightening some bolts, and then take advantage of you, charging you for something much more costly that wasn't even the cause of the knocking (a new axle).

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
I have had the coilovers installed for around a month. Going to check all joints now.
Going to check the cv now. Although not too sure what im looking for, other than a rip in the boot... And play in wheels

Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Tug the axle shafts between the inner and outer CVjoints back and forth and try to get them to move by pulling and pushing them from the sides, top, and bottoms with the front wheels turned all the way in both directions to see if there is any slop in them... Also spin each front wheel with the steering wheel turned all of the way to see if you can feel any roughness and (or) hear anything....

Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I checked it before I went to garage, the garage test drove it a few times and inspected the CV which he said was fine. He could only hear the clunking once and only a few times. He saw that the rubber on the endlinks were worn out. So i guess ill replace them see if that solves the issue

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I messed up an end link a few years ago... It made a non stop clunking sound even when on a fairly smooth road when going straight or turning... I would remove the end links and check if the bolts through them have play... If you decide to remove and check them you need a hex wrench to hold the bolt preventing it from turning when removing the nut... I was in a hurry and didn't do that so I messed it up and had to buy a new one. I'm happy for you not having to replace a CV Joint....

Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Did you find out what was the cause of the knocking on full lock? I have the same problem with my Jazz 06, started gradually and now much more noticeable on either direction, the garage looked at it and are at a loss as they checked all the obvious causes. This is my regular garage and they are usually pretty good. It's getting so I'm dreading having to use full lock.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Any resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issue.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Smile

For mynodha, my front tyres were a bit low on tread, we swapped them with the back to see what would happen, and sure enough the problem went. Tyres replaced, not had a problem since so try that.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Sounds good. Thank you. For me it was the sway bar end links.