1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Door key wont enter into key hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Door key wont enter into key hole

Hey, Since a while my driver door key was a bit hard to enter but I managed to unlock my door anyway.

But now, I can't fit the key at all! It's almost as is if was not the right key(it is the right one).

If I try too hard, it still wont unlock and the entire handle part seems to come towards me...

I tried shootin' WD-40 in the key hole, but it doesn't seems to do anything.

And no, before you ask, I don't have a remote...

I have to open the passenger door and stretch to unlock by the inside. First world problem, I know, but still.

Help please!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Well it sounds like your door lock cylindar is the problem. It looks like the part runs about $100 here in the states. If you get that replaced it will come with a key that works in that lock only. Dealers can re-key the cylindar to one of your original keys though, not sure on the cost.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Well that is a pretty expensive part...Wouldn't I be better off with a remote unlocker. That could not cost me more that $100...maybe i'll look around at some junkyard.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
take door panel outt and grease it lol or see what broke

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vince_TB
Hey, Since a while my driver door key was a bit hard to enter but I managed to unlock my door anyway.

But now, I can't fit the key at all! It's almost as is if was not the right key(it is the right one).

If I try too hard, it still wont unlock and the entire handle part seems to come towards me...

I tried shootin' WD-40 in the key hole, but it doesn't seems to do anything.

And no, before you ask, I don't have a remote...

I have to open the passenger door and stretch to unlock by the inside. First world problem, I know, but still.

Help please!
Salut ŕ toi, confrčre du Québec!

I've fixed many stuck locks with a product intended for guitars called graphitall. It is basically a graphite paste for lubricating friction points
GHS A94 GraphitAll Guitar Lubricant | Musician's Friend

You can also just file down a lead pencil and collect the filings in a piece of paper. Use the lead filings to thoroughly lubricate the teeth of the key then make sweet key love to the lock; good 'ole in out, in out.

Unfortunately, WD-40 might not have been the best idea since I believe dirt can stick to WD-40. The graphite/pencil solution should work to free up stuck tumblers that are preventing you from inserting your key.

Bonne chance!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Just stumbled upon a graphite aerosol spray that is specially designed for locks. It's called lock-ease:

http://www.amazon.com/AGS-LE5-Lock-Ease/dp/B000CIJUGA

Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Salut les gars! hi guys!

Originally Posted by MTLian
Salut ŕ toi, confrčre du Québec! Bonne chance!
You guys wanna do a small mini meet and maybe shoot a couple pictures?

It doesnt matter if we have regular Fits or not. 3 of them in a row with Quebec plates? lets do it! Oh and there's a girl in the West Island too!

Dwayne

NDG, Montreal!

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 10-22-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm down, just wait 'till I get my Fit first :P . I'm contacting a buyer this week and will probably arrange to pick it up on friday. I'll keep you posted!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Wow merci!

I can't buy from amazon.com since i live in Canada!

I'm havin' difficulties finding another place to buy that product, but i wonder if this could work?

MotoMaster Lock Lube & De-Icer | Canadian Tire

BTW, I forgot to update m profile, I now live in New-Brunswick!

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Wow merci!

I can't buy from amazon.com since i live in Canada!

I'm havin' difficulties finding another place to buy that product, but i wonder if this could work?

MotoMaster Lock Lube & De-Icer | Canadian Tire

BTW, I forgot to update m profile, I now live in New-Brunswick!

Thanks!
Fak tu es rendu un acadien, asteur?!

The product you mention uses teflon. It might work but the the product I recommend uses graphite/ceramic. Try calling a locksmith and asking them. It sounds to me like the tumblers in your lock are jammed. That happened to my front door lock and it got to where I had to punch the key with to get it in. I did the graphite paste trick and the lock works to perfection for over a year now.

In quebec we have Rona. I don't know if you have that in NB but I would start there (or a similar hardware store) and look for a similar product. Rona sells many locks and they cut keys so I'm they probably carry a specialized graphite based lubricant.

Or you can do the lead pencil trick I mentioned earlier! Put the lead on your spare key and sex it with your lock, it'll probably do the trick. The advantage with a graphite paste is that they put it in a solution that evaporates and leaves just the graphite (which is a solid) behind so it wont gunk up your lock like an oil based lubricant like WD-40.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
Use Lock-ease. (Notice the spelling correction) It is available at most hardware stores. We also use it to prevent freezing locks in the winter time.

AGS Company - Lock-EaseŽ Graphited Lock Fluid