1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

led fog light bulbs ebay fittiment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
led fog light bulbs ebay fittiment?

Hey has anyone bought these led h11 fog light bulbs off of ebay,
there are a few different kinds with different numbers of led's
i was wondering which ones might fit, because the fog lights have that metal ring, that surrounds the bulb and limits the width of the bulb you can have.

for example:

Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't waste my time unless I saw a measure of the lumens of stock vs ledproduct in various areas of the illuminated light pattern in front of the car; or if someone recommended them to you based on their purchase experience. All other specs like wattage and absolute bulb lumens is just noise.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTCT
I wouldn't waste my time unless I saw a measure of the lumens....
Remember, FOG LAMPS are not designed to light up the road. They are to be used so that oncoming drivers can see you in poor visibility conditions.

Ever passed a German car with ONE brake light on, all the time? That's the REAR FOG LAMP working for them (turns on with the front fogs).

Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Remember, FOG LAMPS are not designed to light up the road. They are to be used so that oncoming drivers can see you in poor visibility conditions.

Ever passed a German car with ONE brake light on, all the time? That's the REAR FOG LAMP working for them (turns on with the front fogs).
I dunno bout dat. Fog lights in front are to help you see better in fog, especially to the sides of the road because it's assumed you're not going fast in fog and you want to see the side more than what's way out in front of you, and especially by reducing the glare that higher mounted headlights produce in fog. Fog lights in back (red lights the brightness of a brake light) are to help other drivers see you but I don't think the OP was about that.

I was foolish enough once to buy an led brake bulb from ebay and it was crap. Brightness was about 50% of tungsten filament bulb.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Quality fog lamps, that are properly made for the job, help you SEE the road in fog/mist/rain. The Fit fog lamps are not good quality, and do not have the correct optical qualities in the reflector and the lens.

There are GREAT quality, add-on after market fog lights and driving lights, but the Fit does not have any place to mount them. The plastic "bumper" won't work as a mounting surface. All off-road vehicle and true sports car drivers know the real value of real fog lights. Fit fog lights are just pretend- only there for looks and to fool the buyer. Oncoming drivers see you from your headlights, because the fog lights will not come on with stock Fits and most other fog lamp-equipped USDM cars unless the headlights are on.

For the OP, the eBay LED bulbs are probably junk just by their appearance, but I don't know that for a fact. If you are willing to risk a few bucks in an experiment, why not try them and tell us what the quality is? Maybe you can help some poor, slave-labor Chinese family out by increasing the sales if the lights in the ad actually do work. Just remember that the lamp assembly on your Fit is not made to produce long range, properly focused light. The LED's are almost guaranteed to be weaker in output than the stock halogen bulbs. Fog light/driving light output is regulated by power consumption of the bulb. 55 watts power is the limit for add-on lights for highway use in CA (may have changed by now, but I got a ticket decades ago for ignoring the law at the time). LED's can produce much more light than halogens, at far less electrical power. A 30 watt LED flashlight can produce 6000-8000 lumens using LED bulbs. Stock Fit fog lights probably produce under 200 lumens. Any more than that would melt the plastic housing with halogen bulbs.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
i should have stated that it would only be for appearance purposes, not for any kind of lighting performance, just to look better, and run cooler/much less watts.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by m-man@sbcglobal.net
i should have stated that it would only be for appearance purposes, not for any kind of lighting performance, just to look better, and run cooler/much less watts.
Well, with those facts in mind, you will probably get lights that work for your purpose-- at least for a little while if the quality is bad, longer if the quality is good. They don't cost much. Try to find a "US shipper" of those lights on eBaymotors. China Post just "upgraded" their system, and the upgrade has added an additional 10 days to transit time to U.S. destinations. I am still waiting for an order placed on 2/28.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Hello

I installed those LED bulbs in my Fit, nice look day and night, just that, nice look the illumination is poor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-cree-h11-60w-High-Power-LED-Car-fog-running-light-bulbs-white-12V-24V-DC-/251384388998?vxp=mtr

Last edited by luismycorreo; 11-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
just wondering if installing these leds to our foglights, is a resistor required to prevent hyperflash of some sort?

Old 11-22-2013, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
No resistor required, but to prevent possible overheating you can use a 25W 8Ω (Resistor)

I used those LEDs without resistors without any issue, as recommendation before to buy them, ask to the seller about the warranty, those LEDs will give a better look to your FIT, better than STD bulbs, just the look, lighting power is not the same.

Luis

Last edited by luismycorreo; 11-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
If you're looking for LED fog light bulb thats bright look for cree, they're the brightest led out there so far.