1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Add oil or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Yeah I never have any hard data to back it up but I do always run it through the gears WOT once a day at least to keep the ECU on its toes. Call it superstition, whatever lol

Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Its better to maintain a constant driving style. Then the ecu can properly do its minor adjustments for better overall efficiency.

Im random as hell when driving, so my ecu is constantly "trying" new things. Sometimes its really peppy, other times it seems to hang in the shadows waiting for my next move lol

Old 09-29-2013, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I found something from Honda that recommends premium gas in the L1.5. They recommend premium because of the compression ratio. 2013 ILX - Powertrain - Honda.com

I Know it says hybrid and dual spark engine but all Honda motors has high compression.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Yes, Honda is clearly showing a willingness to recommend premium fuel where they think it's appropriate, such as in the three engines on that page.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I found something from Honda that recommends premium gas in the L1.5. They recommend premium because of the compression ratio. 2013 ILX - Powertrain - Honda.com

I Know it says hybrid and dual spark engine but all Honda motors has high compression.
The science of cpmbustion depends on a number of factors as well as compression ratio; the shape of the combustion chamber, valve disposition, the sequence of igniting the atomized fuel and the composition of the atomized fuel are just a few.The engines referenced are the newst Honda hybrids and used in the Accord. A recent Automotive News reprted Honda anticipates 50 mpg highway and for a large sedan like the Accord thats spectacular economy.
So its unfortunate that premium fuel is recommended; that concludes that the hybrid then would be no more economical than a regular Accord on a dollar basis. Perhaps Honda has determined that gas with ethanol is not very anti-knock abnd thus for bestperformance prmium gas is necessary to avoid knocking. Its somewhat accepyted that premium gas has little if any ethanol.
In any case just because Honda recommends Premium for the Accord hybrid is not reason to assume all Hondas should use premium; the difference in a staggered - 2 spark plug - firing order and a single plug firing orderis enough to keep from saying they are alike.

Last edited by mahout; 09-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Going back to the oil first. 0w20 is OK to use in the Fit and all Honda motors from 2001. 0w20 is basically a 20 weight oil that flows at cold temp better than the 5w20, Both are OK to use but I prefer the 0w20. Keep the level full at all times which means adding oil when needed to replenish additives.

Having a Hybrid car should lower the octane requirement because the electric motor lowers the loads at slower speeds. I never said Honda Fit could not use regular but looking at the mpg and other problems the cost is more to use regular. I've always gotten better mpg and power even in the winter on premium gas. My new Honda I am easily getting 60 plus mpg on the highway and averaging 41 mpg and its not a hybrid.

Here is something from Honda about the ecu and how it works. Keep in mind the original patent is from 2006 and this is the update. http://images3.freshpatents.com/pdf/US20130186380A1.pdf

Old 09-29-2013, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Nice article on the Fit engine and transmission. But it still doesn't refer to using synthetic oil or premium fuel. Of couse 0w20 synthetic oil can replace 5w20 oil and the car will run just fine on premium fuel. It just costs more money for a very, very small return that is not proven and only theoretical at best. If it makes you feel better than enjoy yourself.

BTW since I started this thread the oil level has not gone down any amount that's perceptible with the naked eye.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Banned
So not true it has been "proven" by data submitted by scan gauge owners that using higher octane results in advanced ignition timing.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Banned
There are people on this forum that has successfully mixed E85 to the point close to E50 with no problems except a CEL light once in awhile and they did that before Flashpro.

Maybe you should tell them there ecu did not adjust and that it won't work.

Ah so you think MIL every once in awhile means that it's successful LOL guess we have a different view of success.

And just who are these mystery members doing it?

The Vtec comes in at 3500 which it goes it to normal mode that all four valves open. You can adjust vtec with the flash pro to whatever you want so that is what you were reading. The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz

Nope sorry this is proven to be incorrect just look in the VTEC light thread and the flashpro thread. It's 2500 for the GD STOCK and can be adjusted from there. And always has been.Do you want me to instruct you on installing a VTEC indicator light so you can see for yourself?
Honda L15 is the base for a lot of racing and is a great building block. Honda Racing Parts & Engines - Honda Performance Development

Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
So not true it has been "proven" by data submitted by scan gauge owners that using higher octane results in advanced ignition timing.

Interesting in that most high performance engines in the past reduced the static ignition timing as the octane rating increased. And the ignition maps I have seen only reduce timing when knocking occurs.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Banned
The fit does reduce timing at knock BUT it also increases timing over less octane UP TO the knock point when using higher octane.

One could say it's standard operating principle is to adjust timing as high as it will stand up to knock then hold it at that point no matter what the octane is.

Therefore you always get more advanced timing using high octane because it detonates at a higher point before knock.