1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

advice on maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:49 PM
advice on maintenance

Hello all,
been reading this site for a while...had been trying to decide if the fit would be the right choice over a mazda or vw. I've never owned a Honda before, but the Fit Freak forums really helped to convince me that a Fit was a good(great) car. Thank you!
Anyway, I bought(due to lack of funds) a 2004 Fit sport with 160,000km's. i changed all fluids and got a tune up.
What service or maintenance would you guys/girls recommend? Also, besides left motor mount, coil pack and changing the cvt fluid regularly, is there anything i should be "on the look out for"?
Much appreciated.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned
Spark plugs, valve clearance adjustment, and change brake fluid if they have not been done yet.

Keep you ear on the wheel bearings they failed a lot on those early ones.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks a lot! Hadn't thought of the wheel bearings. will totally keep an ear on them...
That said, do you think 160,000 is a lot of Km's? I heard (on FF) that Honda's go forever and that the weakest link is the cvt. I do worry about the Km's and esp the cvt. Is it worthwhile to put in that oilextreme? Or Am I just being paranoid?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Banned
No you are right the new Hondas do run great for a long time. We have members in the 200,000 and 300,000 range and still going strong.

The CVT did cause a bunch of problems when they first came out but Honda reformulated the fluid for them like 3 or 4 times and the latest batch seems to have resolved the problems so be sure to use the latest HONDA CVT fluid and don't be tempted to try some off brand they don't work in Honda CVTs.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 AM
200-300,000km's? or miles? either way both are good!
i did have the tech put in the newest cvt fluid, maybe...
thanks for the advice on the non honda fluid. I read about the other fluid in a post from singapore, where they have terrible roads and not much true Honda service.
Just a question, is it normal to have a pause after releasing the brake but not touching the accelerator? I mean, it sort of waits like a half second before moving..no strange noises or anything. I've never driven anything but at and mt so cvt is completely new to me.
BTW, and off topic, are those guns yours? cool if so.
Thanks for the advice

Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned
Sorry those are miles. Those are but a small sample of my firearms as I was an NFA dealer in automatic weapons and suppressors.

It almost sound like a normal hesitation with a CVT. Because they have a start clutch and it's not instantaneous.

This a troubleshooting guide but not sure which problem you have.

Open using IE is best

CVT Symptom Troubleshooting (CVT)

Maybe do this calibration using the DRIVING section.

CVT Start Clutch Calibration Procedures (CVT)

this one has everything you could ask for. scroll down for CVT

Transmission Driveline

Last edited by loudbang; 09-10-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the links, how did you know i was that lazy. seriously though, that makes life way easier.
I'll read through and let you know how things go.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Your car only has a little less than 100,000 miles. It's just now getting broken in. I am glad to hear that your CVT transmission is still working. My 2013 Accord is equipped with a CVT transmission and some people have had issues. Fit's were not imported into the US until April of 2006 and they came with a five speed, either manual or automatic. Also, the US version had a larger engine.

In what country do you live?

Best advice for longevity, change the oil and filter regularly and change the transmission fluid regularly.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the advice! Sorry to hear about that about Accords. Hope yours is OK.
I'm from Canada but I am living in Japan. Around my "neighbourhood" there are 3 other Fits and in the city (small city) in which I live there seem to be a lot of Fits...although most are quite new. That was another reason I wanted to have the Fit...with so many around( including the auto-wreckers...mainly due to people getting rid of their old cars) I thought there would be a lot of useable parts, should I need them.
158,000 miles is awesome! hope your accord keeps going!
Thanks also for the welcome.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
regular maintenance and the 1-2 year interval for brake and CTV fluid will keep it going damn near forever.

At about 200k Km, I would advise popping off the timing chain cover and inspecting or replacing the chain guides. earlier if you hear funny noises from that side of motor

Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 04fitsport
Thanks for the advice! Sorry to hear about that about Accords. Hope yours is OK.
I'm from Canada but I am living in Japan. Around my "neighbourhood" there are 3 other Fits and in the city (small city) in which I live there seem to be a lot of Fits...although most are quite new. That was another reason I wanted to have the Fit...with so many around( including the auto-wreckers...mainly due to people getting rid of their old cars) I thought there would be a lot of useable parts, should I need them.
158,000 miles is awesome! hope your accord keeps going!
Thanks also for the welcome.
I am confident that Honda will stand behind their product as they have in the past. My car is only a couple of months old but the transmission is excellent.

The 2000 Accord V6 had a manufacturing defect in the transmissions. Honda extended the warrantee on them to 7 years or 100,000 miles. Mine developed the problem at 93,000 miles and a little over the seven years. Honda replaced it for free anyway and they gave me a rental car to drive for the four days that it took to get the replacement transmission and install it.

I was under the impression that in Japan when a car gets old and it can't meet the emission tests that people are forced sell them for scrap. Is that true?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned
Yep I have heard something along those lines not sure what the standards are or if it's just for emissions but they do have to get rid of them for some reasons.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Good to hear that Honda stands behind their products so well...never had such experience with vw
Yeah, they do have tests but it isn't for emissions...Depending on the age of the car the owner must get it inspected at certain intervals, mine for example has to be inspected every two years and the older it gets it will become once a year. The inspection for older cars is quite expensive...about $1000. plus if there are any needed repairs, they have to be done, thus increasing the cost of the inspection...Also, the tax for older cars is more expensive. In my case, the tax and the cost of the car were about the same (1300 each)...So for most people it just isn't worth the money to keep and older car, no matter how cool, and so at around 4-5 years or around 60, 000 km, they get another car.
I do see some older cars around here but they're pretty rare. But they are in good shape. Most of the older cars get sold off to Russia and other places or junked.
personally, i think the gov't does it so the economy stays afloat...people are constantly buying new cars (or leasing them).

Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Sorry i mis-wrote, every two years cars need to be inspected but the inspection gets more expensive...and after three years new cars need the inspection...Thanks to my father in-law for the info. His car is three years old (Toyota) and has 50,000km...he'll probably get a new one rather than pay for the inspection...he doesn't get attached to cars like i do