1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Running non-OE seats in a GD

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Running non-OE seats in a GD

How many of you have done it?
Issues faced?
Seats/brackets/rails used?
Pros/cons?
Effects on seating position?

NOTE: By Non-OE I mean anything outside of the seats that come standard in the car, you can include OE seats from other vehicles.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Issues faced? Need to mount the passenger seat belt, probably an L bracket and a bolt + nut but haven't gotten around to figuring it out.

Seats/brackets/rails used? Zeal buckets / Bride bracket + side mounts previously, now Nagisa Auto brackets + side mounts

Pros It's a bucket... lol /cons? No airbags

Effects on seating position? Bride brackets + side mounts are pretty high, and the Nagisa ones sit pretty low. When I had the Bride rail for driver and Nagisa for passenger, at the lowest possible setting (for my particular seats), the passenger seat was a good 4-5" lower than the driver side.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Gawa is the only one?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry, not on here as much as I use to be. Here is my attempt to answer your question though

Issues faced
: Mounting the passenger seat belt, airbags and passenger seat weight sensor (if you care about that kind of stuff)

Seats/brackets/rails used
: I have DC5 Type R seats with Bride rails

Pros:
looks awesome, comfy as hell, holds you better in the seat then the OEM seats, lighter then OEM seats

cons:
Can be a bit of a PITA to get in and out of, hard to adjust seat positioning on the fly, no airbags Cons for rails: Seat doesn't go back as far as the OEM seat did. It seems that the USDM Fits and Other Fits have a slight difference in the floor because my Bride rails did NOT bolt right up. Because of this they had to be modified and I am 99.9% confident that they are not sitting level.

Effects on seating position:
I am pretty sure it lowered my seating position, not by much but I do think it lowered it a bit. That and the whole I am pretty sure its not level because of customizing the bracket thing.

Last edited by MNfit; 12-31-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Si Driver and Passenger seat out of an FG2 08+ si

Issues faced?

I wanted the air bags to retain their functionality so I paid a shop to move the airbag control switch/ weight sensor and wire everything up. The rails are a bit bigger on the si seats are larger so just switching the Fit ones over wasn't going to work. We ended up cutting the feet off the Fit seats and welding them on to the Si ones.

Seats/brackets/rails used? a hybrid of the si and Fit feet and rails.

Pros? Love the added lumbar and much much more cushion for longer drives. Spine doesn't feel like it's being compacted while sitting on those AWFUL thin factory seats where the bars were starting to wear through the foam. Had the installer also modify the driver's side bracket/feet so I could move the driver seat an EXTRA 2 inches back (about) so I could finally have enough leg room to stretch out a little. I'm 6'1".

cons? $$$ spent about $1,000. I should have bought a newer set my driver side had existing wear from the previous owner sliding in and out and it's getting worse. That aside, no problems. No error lights. They work like OEM.

Effects on seating position? SI driver seats can raise and lower, unlike the GD3 seat. So I can raise it or lower it if I feel I need a different leg angle etc.