1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Have you tried: DIY USB seat cushion fan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Have you tried: DIY USB seat cushion fan?

Greetings, Fitverse:

I've recently moved, along with my 183k-mile Fit, to a significantly warmer climate. And I'm driving a lot, more than two hours on many days. In addition, I'm hoping to start a family soon. This presents concerns for scrotal overheating, and I've been contemplating the installation of a seat fan to keep the navy at a proper temperature. (That, and to supplement the Fit's notoriously weak-for-its-interior-volume-and-glass-area A/C.)

Has anyone tried to install a USB-powered fan in their Fit seat? I don't want to get a cooled seat cover that sits on top of it; seems too cumbersome and cheesy to me. I'd like to cut a neat hole through the foam and stuff a fan directly into there, snugly. But I'd strongly prefer to get some advice from someone who's tried it, or at least has a better sense of why it is or is not a good idea, before making that irreversible decision.

Thoughts? (With thanks in advance.)

Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
You're correct-overheating is the main cause of low sperm count. How about a frozen gel-pack?
Or these instant ones that you just squeeze to activate:
Walgreens Instant Cold Packs | Walgreens

Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Takahiro
Has anyone tried to install a USB-powered fan in their Fit seat? I don't want to get a cooled seat cover that sits on top of it; seems too cumbersome and cheesy to me. I'd like to cut a neat hole through the foam and stuff a fan directly into there, snugly. But I'd strongly prefer to get some advice from someone who's tried it, or at least has a better sense of why it is or is not a good idea, before making that irreversible decision.

Thoughts? (With thanks in advance.)
I thought about this for a while... even researched some different ways of getting it done. But I think it might be quite a bit of work (cutting in to the foam, etc), and I wonder about comfort in those areas especially since the Fit's seats aren't that comfy to begin with. Not even sure if you can replace the fabric, but then again with Clazzio's you can probably just slide them on.

I never seen the USB powered ones, just the regular 12v DC fans they sell on ebay. I think it can be done, probably need atleast 2 fans?

I decided that if I really wanted it I should just get a custom Recaro like Chad did on here... but those seats cost $$$$.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a lot of work for something that will probably perform very subpar.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
You could give those cooling pad things a shot, see if they provide the airflow you're looking for. I personally wouldn't put my hopes up too high, it might help a bit though.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
get a laptop cooling pad to sit on first for a bit.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Or you could try a variation of what you're suggesting. One of my friends had an mid-90s Chevy Tahoe (back when they were only two-door SUVs) amd there was an air vent right below the steering column. If you aim it just right it can probably keep your netherregions a little bit cooler, but as othera have said I think it will be difficult to do and probably not work as well as you would like unless you hooked up an extra duct to the air conditioner.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Who would have thunk a Fit was a form of birth control. They should have a warning label attached.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may take the suggestion of DWils and merely try to route the output from one of the floorbound vents to the affected area. Easier, cheaper, and more reversible. A Tuba-Ruba tube may need to be pilfered.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to see the contraption you come up with, lol!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Takahiro
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may take the suggestion of DWils and merely try to route the output from one of the floorbound vents to the affected area. Easier, cheaper, and more reversible. A Tuba-Ruba tube may need to be pilfered.
Bahahaha! I had to Google what a Tuba-Ruba was, and after watching the commercial for it on YouTube I think it would really work! Or a dryer vent tube might work too.

The problem I have in this who contraption isn't how to get air to the seat, it's how to get the air through the seat cushion. Maybe if you drill a few holes all the way through to just underneath the fabric on the top of the seat and route the ductwork to those holes. Or you could pilfer your wife's hair dryer attachment and mount that at the front of the seat.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Yeah, the Tuba-Ruba is in my parents' closet and has plenty of tubes, so that's ready to go. I had considered exactly what you suggested -- making a hole from the bottom of the seat upward and stopping it about half an inch from the top, so the cold air would disperse. But most likely what I'll try first is to run the tube along the bottom of the steering column and point it crotchward.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Here's what i would do:

I'd find a way to capture the air from the drivers side air vent by first removing the little plastic grille in front of the vent. Then I'd either create a funnel like contraption that creates seal with a tuba rubs emerging from it or for a cleaner install, you could block the vent and drill a hole inside the dash/vent, attach a tube inside the dash that could emerge from the little fuse door. You could even use the little fuse door to disguise the tube when not in use.

A tube of A/C pointing right at your privates is probably the best way of cooling your nuggets compared to a fan. Rather than start tearing into the seat fabric, you might try and elevate your buttocks off the seat to create space under your crotch so that the cool air can circulate there. Perhaps a special doughnut contraption that a hospital might use for so some one with rear end discomfort could be modified to look better and more subtle or is simple enough to take in and out of the car rather than permanently trying to modify the seat. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
or rent a sperm donor and maintain the integrity of the Fit seat.