1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help trouble shooting noisy front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Help trouble shooting noisy front end

My Fit, 2007 base standard 186k miles, has been making loud front end noise. It makes it while going straight or turning to left. NOT when turning towards right. If I were guessing it sounds like bur on something rubbing. While driving if I put it in neutral the noise does not go away. The car doesn't pull in any direction. Doesn't seem louder with the window open.

Last time at shop he couldnt hear anything, suggested it was the snow tires making too much road noise. Well, the snows are off for a while now but the noise remains.

Any suggestions of what to look for or check for? I appreciate any advise.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
I would say a bad bearing. If you can jack up the other wheel, try giving it a spin with your hands and compare to the other side wheel. It could also be a sticking caliper but I vote for bearing.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I would simply look at the under fender shields since clips wearing out or popping out is common. Just run your hand on the inside of each wheel and see if anything is touching the tires.

if not then the front right wheel bearing sounds like a good culprit as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I did check the fender shields already. I will check the bearings. What difference should I expect if there is an issue?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2015, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Are you positive the noise is coming from the front? It's hard to tell sometimes.

We had the problem below, and it was an easy fix. Worth checking...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ml#post1313539

+++++++++++++

If this checks out, I'd suspect the RF wheel bearing.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
If you're sure it's in the front, I'd pull the tires and look for something hung up between the caliper and the rotor like a stone or a stick. It could also be the pad wear sensor just starting to engage. Does the noise change when you step on the brakes?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I will check the brakes; if I am jacking up front end it doesnt hurt to be thorough. But the noise doesnt change while braking.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
You are asking what the difference is:

If you spin the right wheel and it does a few turns before stopping but your left wheel stops more rapidly, then you know something's up. Usually you can hear if there is a lot of brake drag. I've heard that if you have a bad bearing you can wobble the wheel from side to side but I figure it would have to be really show before that would happen. If you take off the wheel, you can try removing the pads and just spinning the rotor to see if it's the bearing.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Also, sometimes a mechanics stethoscope can be used to hear if the bearings are bad. But it would be very subtle when the wheel is in the air (no stress then, you see).

Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Well. I am at a loss. Jacked it up, checked all four 4 wheels and all spin freely with no particular noise or drag. Also looked at cv boots to verify they are intact and they are. Brakes are ok as well. Granted I am a novice and not truly sure what I am looking for.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Just thinking out load here and celebrating my 100th post.

At what speed does the noise appear?

With front wheel drive, can you jack up the front end (both sides), have a friend engage the transmission and accelerator and turn left to see if you can locate where the sound is coming from?

Do you have an area where you can drive the Fit in reverse? Is there noise when you are backing up turning left?

Can you take it to a different mechanic for a second opinion?

Good luck.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
congrats on 100!
celebrating post #6 here. I can tell you that the noise seems independent of engine RPM. If I am cruising along and put the car in neutral/hold in clutch the noise does not change. I dont notice it so much in reverse but reverse has that weird helical noise (normal) that is a little louder than the other noise when going slow. If you can follow all that.

And yes, I may have to return to shop for diagnosis. I just hate how much they charge for everything. I am not afraid to do the work, learn how, etc. Just diagnosis is my weak point.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kistner
congrats on 100!
celebrating post #6 here. I can tell you that the noise seems independent of engine RPM. If I am cruising along and put the car in neutral/hold in clutch the noise does not change. I dont notice it so much in reverse but reverse has that weird helical noise (normal) that is a little louder than the other noise when going slow. If you can follow all that.

And yes, I may have to return to shop for diagnosis. I just hate how much they charge for everything. I am not afraid to do the work, learn how, etc. Just diagnosis is my weak point.
So if the front end is up on a hydraulic jack and engaged without the car weight on the wheels and wheels are turning left is there a sound (no matter what rpm)? Is there a sound when turning right (no matter what rpm)? I would think this might help determine your problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'll have to try that test and report back.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up changing the cv axle and the bearing on the driver side. 99% sure it was the cv axle but thought I'd do the bearing while I was in there. Quiet as ever now. I did have to pay a shop $50 to press out old bearing and press in new one. Unfortunately I trashed the abs sensor which will be another $58 - dash board lit like a christmas tree right now because I dont have the sensor yet.

I will probably do the right side too, just to have it done. With almost 200k miles I think that will get me through a couple more years until I either give it to my kid or trade it.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
So my Fit is experiencing the exact same issue again, just three years and ~40k miles later. Doesnt seem normal for the cv shaft to wear out that quickly when the original one went 186k?
This is what I used as a replacement back then This is what I used as a replacement back then
What causes these to wear out? Should I get a better brand?
Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by kistner; 09-25-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Bad Math
Old 09-25-2018, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
counterfeit part / sloppy installation is the main reason for repeated failure. For the wheel bearing, I always trying to find a good used steering knuckle assembly because factory assembly line bearing press in no match for worn out domestic 45 year old machinery veteran or budget nice looking Chinese-made dummy, not to mention beer/tequila filled technician who is more familiar with sledge and pry bar than selection of spacers and precision measuring tools to measure bore in the steering knuckle after removing of the old bearing.

Last edited by doctor J; 09-25-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
kistner,

Your experience with aftermarket axles failing quickly is a common one across all the Honda models. If you can't afford factory parts (and they ARE expen$ive!) go with a remanufactured Honda axle.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys.
going to try this one
noted as limited lifetime warranty (versus the 12 month 12k on the amazon one).
Depending on how long the car lasts I'll post back in the future about how it held up.