1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

valve adjustment at 69k!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
A bit late to the hit BUT on a 9 year old vehicle with 69k miles, it wouldn't be uncommon to have a valve adjustment recommended if the vehicle is having drivability issues. Especially if its driven in city traffic and/or frequent put in situations were the engine idles for extended periods. I personally did my first valve adjustment at 43k and the gap was noticeably off but not enough to greatly affect engine performance or fuel economy at the time.

Valve adjustments are just a normal part of routine maintenance on our cars that should be tended to by either years, mileage or in the case of the valve train whenever you can audibly hear that the valves are louder/nosier more than usual.

Now I do question just one thing after reading the story on your repair order... After seeing that your Fit was misfiring, how did the tech isolate the coil packs on Cyl #1 and 2 as the source of the misfire?

Yes, the factory supplied coil packs aren't the greatest (Honda even has updated coil packs as replacements) BUT there was no mention swapping 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 to check if the misfire followed the coils. In addition to that, swapping the coil packs in that same manner would have eliminated spark plugs and fuel injectors as potential culprits as well during the diagnosis. (Just thinking out loud/mild ramble here.)

Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
edit: oops didnt see last post

this was at the dealership or i would've gotten all the coils replaced. i'm in atlanta and i think i'll do the other 2 at far east motor works. i'm going to call for a quote

Last edited by hollyh; 03-11-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie

Now I do question just one thing after reading the story on your repair order... After seeing that your Fit was misfiring, how did the tech isolate the coil packs on Cyl #1 and 2 as the source of the misfire?

i honestly have no clue. sorry i am completely car illiterate! i believe he mentioned swapping around the different coils to determine the bad ones and the codes. unless something else causes a misfire?

Old 03-11-2016, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
dont second guess this too hard.

You initial service was standard for a dealer (They will always always cost more...)
You get the confidence that the parts are good quality... (At least for a standard car)

Like many electrical things,, they all last inside a window of reliability, the coil packs wear out at the material level, yes you can swap two coil packs, the odds are the other 2 will die within 10% of the life of the average of the 4..

Best investment you can make if you don't want to actually do all the work yourself,,, is to find a decent Independent mechanic and just do a regular 60-80 K tuneup and have them do plugs, coil packs, valve adjust. You'll be replacing some bits before they maybe really need to but you buy the peace of mind that you wont have to deal with it unexpectedly.. (I do my own work to a point. at some point I just don't want to chase it and I hit up a local mechanic ... The independent could be a VW/BMW guy and he'd be fine btw this is a simple little car...