1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

A/T to M/T Hypothetical Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Question A/T to M/T Hypothetical Question

Hey everyone,

(TLDR at the bottom)

I know this question has been asked in the past, but the most recent thread I could find was from 2008...

I have a UK 2007 Honda Jazz GD. Its a 7 Speed CVT 1.4 iDSI.

I have read that the cost of doing a swap from A/T to M/T would be waaayyy more expensive than just selling the A/T model and buying an M/T model. But that was in 2008...

Here's where things get interesting - This car has only ever had 2 owners. Firstly my dad, and now me. He has only ever serviced the car himself, and since its been in my possession, the same applies. It is in impeccable shape for a 9 year old car, despite having 102k miles on the clock.

My dad also GAVE me the car, it did not cost me anything. Heres the thing, I don't really want to go out and swap my A/T Jazz for an M/T one, and risk buying a car which has been treated poorly, just for it to go bang 6 months later. A lot of money has been poured into this exact car, and I feel if I sold it, the money I get would not reflect this. Honda valued it at just under £2,000 which is around $2,400 at resale price - but obviously I'd not get that much money for it.

If money hypothetically was no object and I didn't encounter any issues along the way, what parts exactly would I need to complete the swap? I'd most likely collect the parts over a few months and only use new parts if possible (except for an ECU, harness and key)

I know you're all banging your heads right now, but hear me out!

Jack

TLDR - I wanna swap my A/T tranny to an M/T - but don't wanna sell or swap my car - what parts do I need if money hypothetically was no object...

Old 10-28-2016, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Its probably not unlike switching from right hand drive to left hand drive. Too many things to change out to make it worth it, but I'm not a mechanic either. I would not consider either conversion worth the effort but instead sell and buy or live with what you have and get something in a M/T to play with while keeping the A/T around for nostalgia.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
^^ I cosign that statement.

If your 1.4L is anything like our 1.5L L15A VTEC engines, you will at minimum need a clutch assembly, flywheel, and manual specific engine oil pan to just get the transmission to bolt onto the engine.

This isn't taking the peddle assembly, clutch fluid reservoir, shift cables, shift level assembly, and more into consideration. If you REALLY want to go after a A/T or CVT to manual swap into your Fit/Jazz, you may want to consider finding a scrap/salvaged Fit/Jazz that is already manual and snag the parts for the conversion as needed from the doner car.

Just my 2 cents since I've thought about the same idea with my GD3.