1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

P0848 right after Dealer's ATF change

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Exclamation P0848 right after Dealer's ATF change

Last Friday I went to my local Honda Dealer for a regular Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change, no big deal so far, but two days and less than 40 miles after the ATF change while driving city streets (30 mph) all over sudden Check Engine Light ON.

I have my own INNOVA 3100 code reader and for the very first time since driving my 2007 AT Honda Fit Sport (08/2006 and ~260K miles on board): P0848, Generic, Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch B Circuit High.

I called the dealer, spoken directly to Service Manager, I provided him with all the details above and he told me to bring the car in anytime I'm available, that will be this very Thursday or Friday.

Obviously he will make the case that this particular error code has nothing to do with the ATF change, my argument will be that this particular P0848 error code (strictly related to transmission fluid components) occurred very shortly after their own ATF change and God knows what happened when their technician change the ATF!

What should I ask for when I get there?

Should they do something free of charge?

Maybe somebody has any insight and advice on this particular case.

Thank you very much.

Chris

Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
The transmission drain pug is in close proximity to the wire connection so make sure there is no damage from the dealershit repair
On the other hand, this is not uncommon failure (this model of switch has a vent hole inside allowing moisture and salt to get into contact area; it is now replaced with the same part # as the 2nd gear pressure switch).
I changed my switch as preventative measure earlier this year and noticed better shift quality (2 to 3)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-switches.html
Note please use IE or Firefox to see the images

Old 12-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by doctor J
The transmission drain pug is in close proximity to the wire connection so make sure there is no damage from the dealershit repair
On the other hand, this is not uncommon failure (this model of switch has a vent hole inside allowing moisture and salt to get into contact area; it is now replaced with the same part # as the 2nd gear pressure switch).
I changed my switch as preventative measure earlier this year and noticed better shift quality (2 to 3)
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-switches.html
Note please use IE or Firefox to see the images

Thank you for the reply BUT my question was not posted in the DIY section of the forum.

My question was for what should I DEMAND to the dealer when I'll bring my car back to them as requested by Service Manager.

I'm not interested in DIY answers.

Thank you very much.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2007Fit5AT
Thank you for the reply BUT my question was not posted in the DIY section of the forum.

My question was for what should I DEMAND to the dealer when I'll bring my car back to them as requested by Service Manager.

I'm not interested in DIY answers.

Thank you very much.
then, the question should be posted in customer service feedback I guess!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
You can "demand" whatever you want, but changing fluid on a transmission with that many miles is always a crap shoot.

How many miles were on that fluid? If the old fluid had 60k miles or less, you have a bit of room to negotiate. If the old fluid was older than that, it's risky to change.

Doctor J gave you some very useful information though. You may need that knowledge for your negotiations. Or, more importantly, may need that knowledge when the dealer tells you that they will perform the labor for the repair, but you are on the hook for the cost of the part since your car is TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND miles beyond warranty.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
You can "demand" whatever you want, but changing fluid on a transmission with that many miles is always a crap shoot.

How many miles were on that fluid? If the old fluid had 60k miles or less, you have a bit of room to negotiate. If the old fluid was older than that, it's risky to change.

Doctor J gave you some very useful information though. You may need that knowledge for your negotiations. Or, more importantly, may need that knowledge when the dealer tells you that they will perform the labor for the repair, but you are on the hook for the cost of the part since your car is TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND miles beyond warranty.

Just curious, how would a service technician know how many miles were on the old fluid?

Anyhow, w/o doing nothing check engine light is now gone, car runs pretty smoothly, but P0848 error code is still on my INNOVA 3100 code reader plus digital photo of my dash with the check engine light ON and its mileage, service manager knows me very well and therefore they will do a free-of-charge transmission test so I will know IF there's something wrong with ANY transmission components, wires and/or sensors included.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2007Fit5AT
Just curious, how would a service technician know how many miles were on the old fluid?

Merry Christmas.
They can get a slight indication based on the color of the fluid, but ultimately they go by records. If no record in their system, they would ask you to provide record that it had been changed prior.

If both of those are a fail, they will be forced to assume that it's never been changed.

Sounds like they are taking care of you though. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
They can get a slight indication based on the color of the fluid, but ultimately they go by records. If no record in their system, they would ask you to provide record that it had been changed prior.

If both of those are a fail, they will be forced to assume that it's never been changed.

Sounds like they are taking care of you though. Good luck!

No Honda dealer I've been to has EVER asked about such maintenance "record".

When I went for the ATF change, they forced me to do a free-of-charge passenger airbag recall before doing the ATF job, I had to wait for the recall job in order to get he ATF changed.

The recall issue was the only item in my car's maintenance "record".

I'll post back the outcome of this very issue.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Lucky you. Not many of us here love our dealers. This "Free of charge" airbag recall was no pro bono to you. The dealer gets paid by Honda North America to perform this recall. So extra money for them for less than a 5 minute job. Extra props to them from you.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
Lucky you. Not many of us here love our dealers. This "Free of charge" airbag recall was no pro bono to you. The dealer gets paid by Honda North America to perform this recall. So extra money for them for less than a 5 minute job. Extra props to them from you.

No dealer love on my part, I just used a $20 discount coupon for the ATF change, the only reason I went to my local Honda dealer.
They refused to do the ATF job if I don't allow them to go for the passenger airbag recall, recall + ATF change = about three hours.

P0848 UPDATE: Today I went back to the dealer, showed them my INNOVA 3100 results, I asked for a free-of-charge transmission components test, got the free-of-charge test, after max an hour they confirmed the P0848 code error as a Generic error, they gave me a price for the fix (parts plus labor, $200 plus local tax) but also the technician answered my obvious easy Qs, and here are his answers: 1) do not worry about this particular code error, IF you'll get it again in the near future, 2) no affect on the transmission itself, 3) no affect on fuel consumption.
At this very moment I have no intention on replacing the component that triggered the P0848 code error, maybe next spring IF I'm in the mood.
Car (with brand-new ATF) runs pretty smoothly, automatic transmission included.
Merry Christmas.

Last edited by 2007Fit5AT; 12-21-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: more technical details
Old 02-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Follow-up on my last comment, I've done lots of fuel consumption tests (city and highway driving) with the check engine light on (P0848), zero affect/impact on fuel consumption, therefore unless you are up for a govt-mandated emission test in order to renew your license plate sticker or whatever your local province/state laws/regulations require, I do not recommend spending your hard-earned money on fixing it.
With the P0848 check engine light on, city (Toronto) fuel consumption 8.5 liters per 100 km, hwy fuel consumption 7 liters per 100 km.