1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Hello, long time lurker, '08 Honda Fit getting older

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Question Hello, long time lurker, '08 Honda Fit getting older

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Fit Sport. Just hit 133k miles. She's getting up there in age, so was wondering if you guys can recommend any maintenance that I might not be aware of. Also if you guys have any thoughts on what is currently on my list.

Currently on my list:

1. TPMS light is on - need to figure out which sensor broke, could be from when I had a tire patched up.
2. Slight ticking when idling - I think I need a valve adjustment?
3. Brakes feel spongy and getting vibration when high speed braking - need to bleed, might as well replace brake fluid. Not sure if I can get the rotors spun, or if I need new ones. I got new rotors at 90k.
4. Passenger side fog light is out - I hit a tree stump hidden in the snow once. Pulled the passenger side of the front bumper out, but I was able to pop it back in. I noticed the harness came off, so I replugged it and it worked for a bit, now it's not working anymore.
5. From the above accident, the fender liners and lower engine splash guard came off. Need to replace those.

Others:
1. How would I know if my shocks are blown? Car still drives fine. I definitely feel bumps in the road, but I don't remember if it's just because the Fit is a sporty car for its class, or if they're just busted.
2. The #2 button on my radio needs a really hard press to work.
3. Parts of the LCD screen on the radio are going dim. During the day I can't read the time anymore.
4. During cold starts, I sometimes hear this screeching sound. I hear it's from the starter just wearing out. Can anyone confirm?
5. Also sometimes when it's cold, and I stick the car in reverse, it jerks a little harder than it should, like it's really forcing the gear to bite. Should I just change the fluid, or is this a sign of something worse?
6. Extra: might Seafoam the car, just because the motor is a little old. But never beaten hard like my old Integra.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nerdwaffles
3. Brakes feel spongy and getting vibration when high speed braking - need to bleed, might as well replace brake fluid. Not sure if I can get the rotors spun, or if I need new ones. I got new rotors at 90k.
Uneven pad wear could be the cause. Fluid flush and bleed would be a good thing to do.

1. How would I know if my shocks are blown? Car still drives fine. I definitely feel bumps in the road, but I don't remember if it's just because the Fit is a sporty car for its class, or if they're just busted.
Blown shocks are very bouncy. Are they leaking? Fit has harsher ride then most cars IMO.

4. During cold starts, I sometimes hear this screeching sound. I hear it's from the starter just wearing out. Can anyone confirm?
A constant screeching or just a quick screech and it stops? Could be the accessory belt.

5. Also sometimes when it's cold, and I stick the car in reverse, it jerks a little harder than it should, like it's really forcing the gear to bite. Should I just change the fluid, or is this a sign of something worse?
AT or MT? Either way drain and refill with Honda ATF or MTF. If its the first time you might want to do a drain and refill, drive it 1k miles and repeat.

6. Extra: might Seafoam the car, just because the motor is a little old. But never beaten hard like my old Integra.
I don't like mechanics in a can. A little old?!? 133k miles ain't nothing for a Honda

Welcome to the forum too!!!

Old 11-08-2018, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Fit Sport. Just hit 133k miles. She's getting up there in age, so was wondering if you guys can recommend any maintenance that I might not be aware of. Also if you guys have any thoughts on what is currently on my list.

Currently on my list:

1. TPMS light is on - need to figure out which sensor broke, could be from when I had a tire patched up.
2. Slight ticking when idling - I think I need a valve adjustment?
4. Passenger side fog light is out - I hit a tree stump hidden in the snow once. Pulled the passenger side of the front bumper out, but I was able to pop it back in. I noticed the harness came off, so I replugged it and it worked for a bit, now it's not working anymore.
5. From the above accident, the fender liners and lower engine splash guard came off. Need to replace those.

Others:
2. The #2 button on my radio needs a really hard press to work.
3. Parts of the LCD screen on the radio are going dim. During the day I can't read the time anymore.

Thanks!
Welcome to FF. Here's my thoughts...

1. TPMS - our cars are at the age where the batteries in the TPMS sensors could be nearing end of life. They aren't replaceable. Your best bet probably is to pick up all 4 from Amazon or eBay and replace all at next tire purchase.
2. Valve adjustments are due about every 60k per the maintenance minder. If you haven't had it done, do it now! Include new plugs. It's possible that you nearing spark plug blow out. GD and GE's that go over 100k without adjustment and plug change often eject a plug from the head. Not a good thing.
3. New brake fluid is called for by Honda every 2 years. That's probably a bit aggressive, but 3 years is reasonable. If not flushed and changed within 3 years, it is recommended.
4. OEM fog lights are super expensive. You can buy a fog light kit to upgrade the base Fit to the Sport fog lights on eBay for a fraction of the cost. We went this route and it works.

1. Check struts and shocks for signs of leaking fluid. If you see signs of leaking, they are definitely blown. Even without those signs, they are probably end of life based on age. If you're OK with the ride and it handles OK, it's up to you whether or not to spend the money. That's if there are no signs of leakage.
2 and 3. There's not much salvation for the factory head unit. Deal with the issues or replace with aftermarket. I probably wouldn't bother with a factory replacement as the age of the replacement would now be 10 years old as well.
4. Screech is probably the sound of the starter not fully engaging the flexplate. Semi common in older automatics. I'd ignore until it becomes consistent.
5. That is kind of normal on a cold start. If you haven't replaced the fluid before though, it is recommended.
6. If the car has been properly maintained, there's no reason for it to need cleaning. At 191k miles the inside of our motor looks fantastic.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses! BTW my car is purple. Is that rare? I wasn't even looking for a Fit when I went to the dealership but fell in love with it.

So definitely first order of business is flushing the brake fluid and getting a valve adjustment.

The ride isn't uncomfortably bouncy, but it's not a huge concern for me right now. I'll check the shocks though.

The startup screech is quick, maybe like a half second. I took a video of it, but it's not super obvious. Will try again sometime.

The car is an automatic. I'll replace the transmission fluid as well.

Again, thanks all.

BTW have any of your window visor clips broken off? Both of mine broke off within a week of each other! :O Just old and brittle I guess.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
BTW have any of your window visor clips broken off? Both of mine broke off within a week of each other! :O Just old and brittle I guess.
Mine are still holding up great.

Maybe it's that Cali sun . I use a windshield visor all year long if the sun is out, maybe that will help the replacement clips.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
My relative broke sun visor hook when she got emotional while driving.
Spongy brake feeling can be due to the minor piston seal wear and bore deposits in the rear wheel cylinders / master cylinder (took apart them on the junk yard and they were looking like (censored) despite clear brake fluid) Non -genuine rotors and partially seized caliper pins cause pulsation.
In my car the display is fading as well; I 'm waiting for repair procedure posted by smart Russian guy @ drive2.com

Old 12-07-2018, 02:06 PM
If you’re mechanically inclined. You can probably do the valve adjustment yourself. I get a little nervous when opening up the engine, but being a dyed in the wool cheapskate, I was loath to shell out the $300+ for a regular maintenance item. The Service Manual is pretty clear and you can find the FF discussion here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...clearance.html

First time took me 2-3 hours. Second time, I was done in less then 1.

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Oh not bad!!

I actually just looked up KoolKevin1107's vid on Youtube for the valve adjustment.

My roommate and I are coming up on some really good quality used tools that were left behind at this house that he's buying, so I might actually be able to do all of the work myself. Pretty stoked. haha. Haven't worked on a car in forever.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Question about a screech at start up. Do you hear it more often now (as the temperature is in the upper 40-es)?
I went to the wrecking yard and took some starters apart (it's the same between 07 to 09 years) the noise is most likely caused by type of grease used to lubricate spiral splines on the output shaft. 07 has sticky black grease while 09 has "dirty white" grease; if I stand the output shafts side by side and let the Bendix go from top to the bottom it takes twice long for 07 to do so (on 09 it drops like free falling). I will be posting thread about starter noise investigation.
PS This noise is typically a sign of stater being too close to flex plate but I guess, Fit is exemption

Last edited by doctor J; 12-09-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by doctor J
Question about a screech at start up. Do you hear it more often now (as the temperature is in the upper 40-es)?
I went to the wrecking yard and took some starters apart (it's the same between 07 to 09 years) the noise is most likely caused by type of grease used to lubricate spiral splines on the output shaft. 07 has sticky black grease while 09 has "dirty white" grease; if I stand the output shafts side by side and let the Bendix go from top to the bottom it takes twice long for 07 to do so (on 09 it drops like free falling). I will be posting thread about starter noise investigation.
PS This noise is typically a sign of stater being too close to flex plate but I guess, Fit is exemption
I definitely hear it every morning now since I'm parked outside. On the rare occasion that I can park in the garage, it starts just fine without the screech.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Also!

I got the valve adjustment done. Got the brakes flushed.

Car feels a lot better. I still think I should change my pads and rotors, which I'll probably do within the next few weeks.

Next question is about TPMS sensors, since my light is constantly on now, even after properly inflating my tires.
I should get replacement sensors, but I'm not sure what to buy. Some are just the schrader valve, and some are complete kits like this:

I should probably get that one huh? Or a set of four?