2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Engine Tuning Parts without ECU Tuning. Is it Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Engine Tuning Parts without ECU Tuning. Is it Useless?

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a 11 Fit a week ago. Only got to drive it for less than an hour since I was flying to England the next day. So far I like it a lot. Didn't test drive it before buying, but I needed to get something small and economical and I knew, being a Honda fan, that there was no other choice.

Having owned 4 K powered vehicles, 3 Sis and an Acura TSX, I was pleasantly surprised that the Fit's little engine still pulled and sounded a lot like them, in the sense of the high rpm power, but more so for that intake sound that you get with other Hondas. Once I get back to the States I'm planning to get a few engine parts, mainly to increase gains in the upper rpms.

This is where my question arises. I have read a few people say that regardless of what aftermarket parts you add to the GE Fit for more power, the ECU will simply make adjustments in the Air/Fuel ratio to go back to stock, negating any gains.
At the same time, there are multiple Dynographs posted showing gains after installs, such as the T1R dyno. I wonder, though, if the gains shown would have disappeared after a day or two of driving. If this is the case, this would mean that other than an exhaust for sound, all other mods would be useless/waste of money.

Has anyone dynoed their Fit after a few days of installing their mods?

So until someone decides to offer ECU tuning or a Flash for our cars, I think this would be good to know for all members, both old and new.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
The fuel air would richen up to 14.7 in close loop, but thats not the best for power or torque. The car should have the gained power of add ons but up to a point around 10-15 percent before tunning is required. The ecu runs in open loop at loads over 70 percent at a certain throttle position at 11.5 which is too rich for max horsepower but with the add ons it would lean out and mpg should be the same or better because more power less fuel.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, SilverBullet. I apologize for my ignorance, since I did not understand everything you just tried to explain. What I think you're trying to say is that a few small mods you will notice some gains, but if modded heavy than you would need ecu tuning, is that correct? Kind of adding an exhaust to a turbo engine, where it would yield gains, but once tuned it would be more so. I use this example just because I use to have a turbo car and the gains after getting it tuned were dramatic vs when I just installed the parts.

In your opinion than, do you believe that getting an intake and exhaust without tuninig is worth it for the GE Fit? Or will the ECU simply refer it back to stock output?

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
The fuel air would richen up to 14.7 in close loop, but thats not the best for power or torque. The car should have the gained power of add ons but up to a point around 10-15 percent before tunning is required. The ecu runs in open loop at loads over 70 percent at a certain throttle position at 11.5 which is too rich for max horsepower but with the add ons it would lean out and mpg should be the same or better because more power less fuel.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Thanks for the reply, SilverBullet. I apologize for my ignorance, since I did not understand everything you just tried to explain. What I think you're trying to say is that a few small mods you will notice some gains, but if modded heavy than you would need ecu tuning, is that correct? Kind of adding an exhaust to a turbo engine, where it would yield gains, but once tuned it would be more so. I use this example just because I use to have a turbo car and the gains after getting it tuned were dramatic vs when I just installed the parts.

In your opinion than, do you believe that getting an intake and exhaust without tuninig is worth it for the GE Fit? Or will the ECU simply refer it back to stock output?
Small mods will be Ok. Cold air kit, Cat back. There is no controller like flash-pro available for the Fit, even though I think it could work with the right pins added. You can send the ecu to hondata for tuning.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 03-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Is Hondata offering to tune our Fit's ECU? I didn't think that was available at all.

Small mods will be Ok. Cold air kit, Cat back. There is no controller like flash-pro available for the Fit, even though I think it could work with the right pins added. You can send the ecu to hondata for tuning.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Is Hondata offering to tune our Fit's ECU? I didn't think that was available at all.
I am going to let others answer that modified their cars talk but I can say that the fits ecu is complex and just like every ecu is tunable. Lyons modified his GE8 with a turbo so do a search and see what he said. You have very good questions.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I'll reach out to him and see. I was thinking about posting some other question as well. We'll see. Thanks.

I am going to let others answer that modified their cars talk but I can say that the fits ecu is complex and just like every ecu is tunable. Lyons modified his GE8 with a turbo so do a search and see what he said. You have very good questions.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll reach out to him and see. I was thinking about posting some other question as well. We'll see. Thanks.

What questions do you have? I would be happy to work through them with you.

And there exist a bunch of perfectly adequate tuning devices. You will have to learn a bit to use them however.

All of which are better than having to mail your ECU off to Hondata for them to make a shot in the dark at what your setup needs.

I do this stuff all the time across many different makes and models. The tools exist.

So what do you want to do?

I wouldn't worry about not having a Kpro/Flashpro available for the Fit as their are alternatives at comparable prices. But what is appropriate depends on your final goals. A GE will bring down the nanny hammer harder and sooner than the GD computer based on what we see around here, FWIW.

For someone who plans on doing more than an intake pipe and an axle back you can really make the most of your setup with an Emanage, Fcon, AFC, FIC, etc.

Hondata has some nice products for other models no dispute there, but they are not who I consider first when it comes time to get serious engine management.