2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

IASCA car audio install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Circa the install is coming along nicely and it looks very clean. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the dash when you're done!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Props for Seas and Scan Speak. Nice pods utilizing the larger air space. Fill it with polyfill. Are you going to bother with the doors at all?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Oklahoma

Are you by chance going to a comp in OK?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been swamped with some non-car audio related issues... The car is near completion at the moment. I just have some stuff here and there left.

I painted the mesh black and clear coated the rings.

Differences between a polished and unpolished ring:

Finished grilles.

A pillars...

Textured and painted back. I ordered a pair of those one time use clips on the a pillars from Honda, so its not totally secured yet.

Last edited by circa40; 10-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice! Looks very clean.

So what do you do with the holes in the doors where the speakers were? Since the midbass are in the kickpods do you just completely seal off the doors? If so, how?

Also, I really like the look of your amp rack...extremely clean looking and still leaves all the functionality and space of the hatch area. Do you have any more pics I can view to get a better idea of how to do a project like that myself?

If my current amps have the heatsinks on the sides, should I consider a different set-up b/c of heat issues?

I also saw that you said this was going to be your daily driver as well... are you planning on upgrading the electrical system/alternator to deal with the extra draw from the amps or do you think the stock system will be enough?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get an idea of things that need to be done and I could use all the help I can get. The way I look at it, if I don't ask, I won't get an answer.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MrStix
Very nice! Looks very clean.

So what do you do with the holes in the doors where the speakers were? Since the midbass are in the kickpods do you just completely seal off the doors? If so, how?

Thanks!
I'll probably just seal off the doors with thin aluminum and cover them with foam and deadening and cover the whole door with a mass loaded vinyl barrier.

Also, I really like the look of your amp rack...extremely clean looking and still leaves all the functionality and space of the hatch area. Do you have any more pics I can view to get a better idea of how to do a project like that myself?

The amp rack has totally changed, i'm using 4 smaller amps now. they span the entire floor, but I can still lift everything access the spare. I'll post up some final pics one everything is done

If my current amps have the heatsinks on the sides, should I consider a different set-up b/c of heat issues?

I would probably have to get a little more creative if the sinks are on the sides of the amp, maybe a fan or 2 would work.

I also saw that you said this was going to be your daily driver as well... are you planning on upgrading the electrical system/alternator to deal with the extra draw from the amps or do you think the stock system will be enough?

My fingers are crossed for that lol

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get an idea of things that need to be done and I could use all the help I can get. The way I look at it, if I don't ask, I won't get an answer.
No problem at all

Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
At the moment I don't have any midbass drivers and am highly considering putting the mids that came with my Kappa Perfect set in the doors and the tweeters on the A-pillars/kickpods/dashboard (in order of suggestion from Harman).

The woofers have a frequency respone that drops down to 75Hz. Since you are using the Image Dynamics sub and I'm sure you've auditioned it before, how well do you think it would blend into a system like mine without any dedicated midbass drivers?

Also was the location you picked for your sub enclosure based on looks and space with the plan to EQ later or did you measure acoustics and all that good stuff do cut down on EQ?

My problem is that I'm on the fence between going competitive/technical or just being happy with my new car ... so I apologize if my questions seem like they're attempting to attain more information that I'm capable of understanding at the moment

Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MrStix
At the moment I don't have any midbass drivers and am highly considering putting the mids that came with my Kappa Perfect set in the doors and the tweeters on the A-pillars/kickpods/dashboard (in order of suggestion from Harman).

I would guess you'll get decent MB response if you seal up those doors as much as possible. I've used the Perfects in the past, and they do lack MB, but does well in the mid/upper feq IMO.

The woofers have a frequency respone that drops down to 75Hz. Since you are using the Image Dynamics sub and I'm sure you've auditioned it before, how well do you think it would blend into a system like mine without any dedicated midbass drivers?

I have used the ID subs in the past with very good results. If you use the ID (as well as many other subs) you'll probably have to cross it/them over higher if there is a lack of MB in the door speakers. You'll probably get good results, but if you have time delay, you'll likely get even better results. It will help compensate for the sub crossovered higher. The delay will help keep the bass focus up front (but may compromise bass output from the subs) Just a thought . I would venture to say its not a big deal for most people though.

Also was the location you picked for your sub enclosure based on looks and space with the plan to EQ later or did you measure acoustics and all that good stuff do cut down on EQ?

I picked the location purely out of space, or the lack of it. I did not use any complicated measurements and such to figure out where to place the sub. Im not a acoustic engineer, but I would bet most enclosures in the trunk of a Fit would give very good impact

My problem is that I'm on the fence between going competitive/technical or just being happy with my new car ... so I apologize if my questions seem like they're attempting to attain more information that I'm capable of understanding at the moment
No problem at all man. I regularly go to DIYMA all the time:

DIY Mobile Audio

There's quite a bit of info there.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I'm really impressed. Very nice work.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Heres a quick update.

I had to rush the install near the end because I wanted to complete at the regionals....in which I placed 2nd in my class So much for that impossible to stage correctly comment

suede flocked apillars...

bad pictures of the PG MS amps....sorry

I settled on the Alpine 7996/H700 combo

Last edited by circa40; 11-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Battery + fuse holders w/ custom 1/8" aluminum mounts

Relocated factory fuses (to get around the factory battery terminal fuses)

If im ever motivated to, I'll rebuild the amp rack as I had to rush it :blush:

Last edited by circa40; 11-17-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
It just goes to show you that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over again.

If you got second, what had to be done to get first? Who beat you out?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
wow, this thread is of epic proportion! Great work, my only suggestion is to lose the carpeted dash mat, really makes things look cluttered.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
wow, this thread is of epic proportion! Great work, my only suggestion is to lose the carpeted dash mat, really makes things look cluttered.
thanks, Yeah Im not a big fan of the dash mat at as well, but it helps reduce the reflections of the speakers in the a-pillars. For my car, there's a night and day difference in position of the vocals and the overall width of the sound stage.

Originally Posted by Jodele
It just goes to show you that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over again.

If you got second, what had to be done to get first? Who beat you out?
lol, I got beat out by one of my buddies, so it didnt heart that much....I will be hearing it from him until next season though. Thats if we dont attend the finals this year (top 3 in each class gets invited to finals), which isnt probably going to happen as its in Florida and we are in California.

I lost because there was a big flaw in the judging. Im not trying to make any excuses but there were 3 judges this year (due to the huge turnout), one for each class. It turned out that the judge that judged my car wasnt supposed to judge my class. Everyone in my class got judged by one judge and a judge in another class judged my car. Oh well, better luck next time. I got docked a lot for not having enough sub bass

Time to rebuild the trunk area and tune, tune, and re-tune

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Awesome project circa40 and thanks for all the details, keep up the great work!

Your project brought back a lot of great memories I had from completing IASCA 15 years ago with my '92 Accord (which I won in pro class/251 - 600 watts category; setup was very different back then). Your original amps had a special place in my heart because I'm a big a/d/s fan (still using a/d/s in my home theater). I ran Nakamichi CD-7; RF EPX2 with E28 card; 325is front; L300e rear plus 4 RF audiophile 10s. Unfortunately digital cameras didn't exist back then so my album is somewhere deep in the storage. I will see if they still exist somewhere in my storage & post them to share.

Best of lucks at shows, have a great season!

MissMyAccord - Hondas are for life!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MissMyAccord
Awesome project circa40 and thanks for all the details, keep up the great work!

Your project brought back a lot of great memories I had from completing IASCA 15 years ago with my '92 Accord (which I won in pro class/251 - 600 watts category; setup was very different back then). Your original amps had a special place in my heart because I'm a big a/d/s fan (still using a/d/s in my home theater). I ran Nakamichi CD-7; RF EPX2 with E28 card; 325is front; L300e rear plus 4 RF audiophile 10s. Unfortunately digital cameras didn't exist back then so my album is somewhere deep in the storage. I will see if they still exist somewhere in my storage & post them to share.

Best of lucks at shows, have a great season!

MissMyAccord - Hondas are for life!
Thanks!

Glad to hear from a fellow competitor. The RF Audiophiles were one of my first SQ subs back in 1996ish, sill some of my favorites. It looks like the new season is beginning this weekend and my car isnt anywhere close to hit the lanes.

Oh well, I may take this season off.

A little update:

I've completed most of the rebuild, although the trunk area basically looks the same but with different and more efficient amps. The Fit's charging and ELD system didnt like the added load and my Kinetik 800 does not like it when the stereo is being cranked with the engine off I have some plans of using an external power supply with a hardwired quick release plug one day.

The speaker placement is the same as before, although I went with different mids on the apillars. I'll add a few pics later.

I ordered some JDM goodness and it should arrive on Monday . I'll let you guys know what it is and add a few pics when its actually in hands...dont want to jinx it

Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... another old competitor?

Last time I did a car for competition was back in '98 (still have the car and the system too!). Ended up with 6th place at world finals in 301-600 class. I then did install judging for a while, until it just consumed too much time!

My equipment list:
- Sony ES CDX-C910 (only high end head unit I could integrate factory steering wheel controls with at the time)
- 6.5" midbass is the Morel MW166
- 55mm softdome mid is the Morel MR55
- Dynaudio D260 1" soft dome tweeters (with 3" magnets!)
- Dynaudio X360 crossovers for the components
- Kicker ZR600 in stereo on the front set
- (2) JL 15W6 subs in a sealed enclosure, white laminate interior, neon, and 3/4" plexi rear for show
- Kicker ZR600 amp running in stereo on each 15W6 (3 ohm stereo load)
- (2) Audio Control 30-band 1/3 octave EQT's

Old 03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a few of the pics....

I lost the front cup holders but gained Ipod/Iphone charging docks

Steering wheel remote:

Last edited by circa40; 03-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
you could just buy steering wheel buttons from honda and wire it up, so it integrates with the steering wheel... and how did you get ur hands on a p99rs?! such a nice unit... more than i would need, but nice none the less.

Quick Reply: IASCA car audio install