2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Need a new HU, or just an amp? 09 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Need a new HU, or just an amp? 09 Fit Sport

Have a 2009 Fit Sport and am just not impressed with the audio quality. I like to listen to music in the 34+ range (of 40 volume on the stock headunit) and I can definitely hear distortion -- I'm thinking clipping, since it gets worse as I run up to 40 volume.

My first thought is to just add an amp, keeping the stock speakers (others have mentioned that they're not that bad) and the stock headunit. But can an amp even be added to the HU?

There seems to be consensus on these forums that the HU is pretty awful, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success just adding an amp. Some have complained about the bass with the stock HU, but I'm happy with that. I really like the features and integration of the stock HU and would like to avoid replacing it, if just adding an amp is going to make my music more clear at the listening levels I want.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'd Disagree on the concensus part that the HU is bad. I'm quite happy with mine... Especially coming from an 07 Altima Head unit and having had many previous gen Honda Head units. (before about 2005, honda Head Units REALLY were awful. A $90 Wal-mart special was better than my Stock 2000 Acura Integra HU.)

That said, If you are not happy with the head unit, that is the 1st thing you need to replace. (not just add an amp) If all you are concerned about is volume an amp will take care of your needs but it doesn't sound that way so instead of spending money on an amp, a Line output converter/Cleansweep, and then picking a nice amp... Pick up a decent Head unit that can provide the audio quality you want, then get an amp that will work well. Lastly replace your speakers. Depending on your Head unit choice, you might not even need an amp. Due to the fact I run my Sport Head unit around 12 or 14 max (from my flash drive), even an aftermarket HU alone won't suit your needs at 34 or 40.

For Reference.... I just posted this earlier - saw it on Slickdeals.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...utchfield.html

~SB