2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

iPod problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM
iPod problem

I have a 2009 Fit Sport.

I searched on this problem and didn't find it, I apologize if this has been answered before. I didn't find the right mix of keywords I guess.

I have been using a 3rd generation 4 gig iPod nano (fat one) without problems for a while now.

Recently I plugged in my 64 gig iPod touch since it has my entire library on it and I noticed a problem. When I hit the center button and go to "Artists", then hit the button again and start turning the knob to scroll through all the artists until I find the one I want, it scrolls very slowly. I turn the knob 3 or 4 clicks before it changes to the next artist. And eventually (once I get to the "E" or so, maybe 40 or so artists into the list), it just dumps me back into the current song that's playing and the knob becomes a volume knob again. So I have to start over by pressing the center button, going to "Artists", and so on, but then it happens again.

This also happens with my 5.5 generation 80 gig iPod video as well. This one also has my entire library, which is just over 20 gigs. Changing the cable made no difference.

This seems like a bug with Honda's interface to the iPod.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

On my iPhone I have similar issues with turning the knob and it takes several 'clicks' to advance even a moderate amount. Somehow it became slower or so it seems (it was already slow before). Really annoying and I circumvent the issue by putting my favorite songs in a playlist instead of cycling through artists.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by acruhl
This seems like a bug with Honda's interface to the iPod.
Actually, the problem is with Alpine, since they made the head unit, and Apple.

I have an iDA-x305 in an SUV and it has a LOT of the same issues I'm having now in the Fit.

I blame both because Alpine's interface on the HU is a bit flaky. And Apple likes to change things around when updating software/hardware.

I think the problem with larger iPods (my 32 gb iPod Touch included) is that the iPod probably doesn't send an entire listing of songs/videos to whatever it's connected to, only chunks. The HU has to constantly communicate with the iPod when scrolling through large lists.

Scrolling through all playlists is much quicker than all artists, which in turn is slightly faster than all albums and then far, FAR faster than all track names. Since you probably have the least number of playlists, and increasing through artist, album, track names.

The only way to solve this particular problem is to have either the device with enough ram to store some ungodly number of track names (names, not the songs themselves)... or make the devices act as extensions of the iPod instead of a device connected to the iPod.

By extension, I mean the display in the HU has to be controlled by the iPod with a full speed connection. And this can easily get complicated unless they (all the manufacturers involved) come to a standard they all agree upon. Good luck with that!

With my iPod Touch, its having issues with running low on ram (2nd gen). And when that happens, all kinds of things get goofy. Like sometimes it won't connect to the HU with a message: "Connection Retry" when you first plug it in or start the car. Other times the iPod will suddenly reboot when I try to connect, and it takes a LONG time to reboot. I've also gotten the message "Unsupported Version," even though it was JUST playing fine a few minutes ago (before I shut off the engine to do a delivery). Then there's a couple of times that as it's going to the next song in my playlist, it suddenly decides to give me the "Connection Retry" message.

There was the one other glitch I got a couple times in the SUV and once in the Fit... I get it playing the first track on my playlist in random order (it isn't actually the first song of the list, just first of the random order), it plays the next and so on. But after I shut off the car, do a delivery and then come back, it restarts the playlist from that very first song of the order... BUT, it randomizes the rest of the songs (so it's not the same order as last time). It was a bit freaky when it happened in the SUV. A couple of times, it would continue from where it left off, but then later go right back to the "first" song.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 120 gig iPod and no problems so far

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I have noticed this problem as well with my iPhone 3GS. In addition, my iPhone will be "Unsupported" occasionally, according to my '10 Fit radio. I usually have to reboot my iPhone to get my radio to recognize it again..