2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Navi Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Navi Steering Wheel Controls

I am adding a bluetooth/navi unit to a 2013 sport (so it already has steering wheel controls and paddles) and would like to have a few more buttons for controlling the bluetooth capabilities if it's easy to add.

Is it possible to add the extra steering wheel controls from a Sport with Navi to a non-Navi Sport? I tried to find the part number on the parts diagram, but I didn't see anything that looked quite right.

I've looked at the older thread for adding steering wheel controls to other 2nd gen Fits, but it doesn't seem to cover 2012-2013 models that already have the basic controls.

If this is possible, do the new buttons these take extra wires in the wiring loom, or just add yet more resistance combinations to the existing single pin that goes to the head unit?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey, I know you already installed the Unika, did you ever try this? I'm thinking I may take the plunge. I'm already going to be installing the audio controls into my 2010 Sport. I bought this:

36770-TK6-A41 (A41 instead of A31 because I have A/T)

The BT buttons are 35890-SVA-A01 and apparently the info switch (which we have on the instrument cluster) is 35875-SMG-003. They look to me like they just plug into existing wiring on the full 36770-TK6-A41 switch assembly. The DIY article doesn't show this since the author just snatched the music control buttons and wired them into his existing harnesses.

I'm ordering the parts now so I'll install everything at once. Your wiring diagram showed exactly which wires carry the navi signals, so I'm pretty sure I can hook those up either to some Connects2 wiring or to a Maestro and leverage those controls on the Asteroid Smart I'm buying.

Name:  ichFjz0.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  40.0 KB
(wires 8/9)

For the record, the whole package needed to do this (assuming it works!) is:
35875-SMG-003
35890-SVA-A01
78517-TF0-N81
78518-TF0-N81
90173-SL4-003 (x4)
90178-SNB-N61 (x4)

Total from Bernardi is $85.27 plus shipping.

Last edited by Cutriss; 06-06-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Cutriss,

Any progress on this?
I'm about to do a HU upgrade and am really interested in adding both the radio controls AND the bluetooth button-set below those to my 2010 Sport MT.

Something that I'm probably misunderstanding though - Your list does not include the harness that has both the cruise buttons and the radio buttons together. My impression was that if you wanted to get the radio buttons, you had to buy the new harness (that includes right and left side buttons) and then take out the existing cruise buttons and replace them with the new all-in-one harness.
Thoughts?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Coincidentally, yes. I just got my car back yesterday after getting the Asteroid Smart installed. I haven't spent a lot of time with it as I've been busy doing some weekend work, but this evening I planned to take the car out and do a little testing.

At first blush, the bluetooth controls don't seem to be doing anything, but I don't have a phone paired to the head unit yet and there may just not be any functionality in my head unit for the buttons without a phone connected - I haven't read the manual so I don't know if the BT button is normally supposed to invoke voice commands or anything like that. We did not connect wire 16 (cablereel-side) to the radio because apparently the Unika didn't have any more connections for it, so I don't know if that wire is needed, or if we just don't have it connected properly. It's also possible that they didn't program the Unika correctly.

I have to imagine that the buttons are working though because if they weren't, when the tech programmed the Unika, he should have noticed that the buttons weren't triggering the learn response in the Unika.

As for the list, it's not in the list because it's in the first paragraph (31 for M/T, 41 for A/T). The part list is *NOT* complete, however. I discovered when I was reassembling my wheel that I needed to get a new wheel cover and garnish because the originals don't have holes for the Bluetooth/Information button hangars.

If you look at the diagrams for the wheel (using my 2010 sport as an example), part #24 - I only used two of these rather than the four I originally determined based on the diagram, I could not figure out where to use the other two. The screws are on my desk right now. The support brackets that go behind the button drops (10 and 13) are a bit odd in that they aren't attached in a fixed way to anything. I would highly suggest ordering some extras of #25 (90178-SNB-A81). The ones that I pulled out of my wheel stripped really easily and I had to drill-tap a few of them to get them out when I didn't reassemble the wheel correctly.

You'll also need:
78518-SMA-G11ZA (for M/T)
78518-SMA-G11ZA (for A/T)
78543-TF0-N81ZA

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you might notice that 35875-SMG-003 is "LID ASSY., MULTI INFORMATION SWITCH". The wiring is already there in the clockreel to support that switch, but 35875-SMG-003 is just a dummy placeholder. If you were to seek out the actual information switch button (I think 35870-TX9-A01 from the Fit EV and its matching cover 35871-TX9-A01 might work), and you wire it into the wheel harness under the airbag, it should work.

Last edited by Cutriss; 06-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by ck42
Something that I'm probably misunderstanding though - Your list does not include the harness that has both the cruise buttons and the radio buttons together. My impression was that if you wanted to get the radio buttons, you had to buy the new harness (that includes right and left side buttons) and then take out the existing cruise buttons and replace them with the new all-in-one harness.
Thoughts?
Addressing this separately - you don't *have* to do this, but I find it to be the cleanest option. If you're comfortable with wiring/depinning harnesses, you could salvage the buttons from elsewhere and tack them into your existing buttons.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-controls.html

If you end up trying to add the Information buttons, you'll likely need to do something like this anyway.