2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tire recommendations for a 09 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:33 AM
Snow tire recommendations for a 09 Sport

hi all, after some searching around the forum I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so please excuse me if this is a constantly re-treaded topic (heh).

I'm looking to get a set of steel wheels and snow tires for my 09 Fit Sport. I've seen a few sets of steelies on FB marketplace near me with a "little bit of surface rust" which are fairly inexpensive and do look like they could be cleaned up nicely. My questions are: what size is ideal, 15"? Are most 4-bolt patterns the same or is 4x100mm Honda specific? Would you trust steelies with some rust on them? Do I have to swap the TPMS sensors along with the wheels or do people usually buy another set of sensors? Or do I just ignore the light for a few months?

Any recommendations on snow tires? I'm in the northeast now, but will be in Missouri for part of the year. Nothing crazy weather-wise--I can almost always wait for the plows to make a pass before going out so it's not like I'm trying to drive through multiple feet of snow drifts. I basically just want some peace of mind via increased attachment to the road. Thanks very much for your help!!!

Old 12-01-2020, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
The last 3 winter seasons, I have swapped my fronts for General Altimax 15" tires.
It goes through snow like nothing. The sensors stay with the wheels...I just swap tires.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure you look at the hub bore diameter when buying rims - some (Toyota and others) use a smaller diameter and the wheels won't fit over the hubs. Don't ask me how I learned.

For your other questions - Some rust is probably fine, I just ignore the light, and I use Blizzaks (which have been great)

Old 12-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by steve37
The last 3 winter seasons, I have swapped my fronts for General Altimax 15" tires.
It goes through snow like nothing. The sensors stay with the wheels...I just swap tires.
cool thank you! I'd prefer a new set of wheels to avoid the expense of having the shop mount them every year.

Originally Posted by degnaw
Make sure you look at the hub bore diameter when buying rims - some (Toyota and others) use a smaller diameter and the wheels won't fit over the hubs. Don't ask me how I learned.

For your other questions - Some rust is probably fine, I just ignore the light, and I use Blizzaks (which have been great)
that's great info, thanks degnaw. that must have been a bummer to learn your hub bore was off by 2mm!

Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM
I'm using Michelin X-Ice on both of my Fit's. They work fantastic!

Old 12-02-2020, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
I have run Altimax Arctic tires for 8 winters on my '12 Sport. I have never been disappointed. I have 14" wheels and run 185/70/14 tires.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Cooper Evolution winter with studs . These have deep sipes close to base of tire helping with traction . Studs are a bonus . Reasonable price too .

Old 12-04-2020, 02:19 PM
I'll put in an additional vote for General Altimax Arctic snow tires. I used them for on my previous small hatchback (Toyota Yaris) in Syracuse, NY. They're cheap, durable (mine still looked new after several winters), reasonably quiet on dry pavement, and in my experience have excellent traction when you need it (rain, slush, snow, ice). A few winters ago while returning from family Christmas (incidentally, in Missouri) we hit a bad storm in Ohio and drove from Columbus to Syracuse without seeing the pavement because of snow and ice cover. I obviously was driving carefully but felt completely safe and secure. I haven't tried other brands of snow tires, but I don't see how they could be much better.

I always recommend a separate set of wheels to go with your snow tires as it makes everything easier. If you're a functioning adult with eyes and a tire gauge you don't need TPMS sensors (in my opinion).

As far as winter wheels go, my advice would be to size down to the minimum the Fit will fit (should be 14 inch) so that your snow tires can have the tallest possible sidewall for crappy winter road conditions (obviously buy the appropriate size tires to keep the same height/circumference as your stock wheels and tires). Steel wheels are ideal as they're easy to clean up and repaint as necessary, so a bit of surface rust is no problem if you can get a good deal on them. Do look them over and make sure there isn't heavy rust or pitting in the area where the bead of the tire would sit, as that could be a problem.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:34 AM
I've found Michelin and Goodyear to make winter tires I like. Both have decent handling, grip, noise and wear rate. Some Hankooks are OK too. Continental, Bridgestone and Pirelli may have good handling and grip, but wear fast.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Drew21
I'll put in an additional vote for General Altimax Arctic snow tires. I used them for on my previous small hatchback (Toyota Yaris) in Syracuse, NY. They're cheap, durable (mine still looked new after several winters), reasonably quiet on dry pavement, and in my experience have excellent traction when you need it (rain, slush, snow, ice). A few winters ago while returning from family Christmas (incidentally, in Missouri) we hit a bad storm in Ohio and drove from Columbus to Syracuse without seeing the pavement because of snow and ice cover. I obviously was driving carefully but felt completely safe and secure. I haven't tried other brands of snow tires, but I don't see how they could be much better.

I always recommend a separate set of wheels to go with your snow tires as it makes everything easier. If you're a functioning adult with eyes and a tire gauge you don't need TPMS sensors (in my opinion).

As far as winter wheels go, my advice would be to size down to the minimum the Fit will fit (should be 14 inch) so that your snow tires can have the tallest possible sidewall for crappy winter road conditions (obviously buy the appropriate size tires to keep the same height/circumference as your stock wheels and tires). Steel wheels are ideal as they're easy to clean up and repaint as necessary, so a bit of surface rust is no problem if you can get a good deal on them. Do look them over and make sure there isn't heavy rust or pitting in the area where the bead of the tire would sit, as that could be a problem.
thank you! great info. thanks very much to everyone else who commented, it is very much appreciated! I'm dragging my heels but also accruing information--it has barely snowed and I haven't even driven the vehicle for a few days (I know, not good!). but I will be sure to check in when I make some decisions and relay my experience with whatever snow shoe setup I land on.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Here in southcentral Pennsylvania, I run the General Altimax RT43 year-round ('11 Sport AT w/ 205/50-16). They seem to be good enough but I don't have to go out into really deep snow but have been in 6"-8" in very hilly areas and these worked. Passed many other cars spinning their tires trying to move.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
I had decent all weather tires on my 2010 Fit Sport, but they just slid around in the last slushy snow. I put a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on last week. I had them before and they do well in snow. No mileage warranty on them though. Note that I wanted to get steel wheels for winter but they don't make them in that size.

Last edited by dll932; 12-20-2020 at 02:18 PM.