2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

P0962 Pressure Control Solenoid "A" - safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
P0962 Pressure Control Solenoid "A" - safe to drive?

Hi,

Just got the CEL/flashing "D" on our '09 Fit Sport on start up this morning. OBDII scanner reveals the P0962 code, Pressure Control Solenoid A. Can't repair it in the apt complex parking lot. Would it be safe to drive 20 miles to a friend's shop? If not, what distance would be safe?

thanks

Old 04-28-2024, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
How does it shift and is the transmission fluid level good?

Old 04-28-2024, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Level is good. Sometimes feels like it shifts a bit rough, but no stalling or noises.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikehd
Level is good. Sometimes feels like it shifts a bit rough, but no stalling or noises.
I would drive it then. The code could be a number of things, such as the inline transmission filter with too much resistance.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback. Just checked my records and the fluid was changed about a year ago but not the filter. I've never changed the filter so I suspect it my be original or at least very old. Going to change filter first, clear code, and see if it quickly comes back.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Update on the P0962 error and repair.

Once we accessed the solenoid area by removing the battery and air cleaner assembly, it was obvious as to the cause.

We spliced in some new wire, heat shrink wrapped the joints, then wrapped electrical tape around the assembly. Also wrapped electrical tape on the Solenoid B connector below.

We also decided to replace the filter but not the Solenoid A.

After some issues with battery level, we got it started and gave it a test drive. CEL and flashing D were gone upon first startup, drivability seemed a bit smoother in the shifting department.

Overall took 5 hours, which includes about 2 hours just getting the necessary wire, solder, and portable soldering iron to do the fix. We were ready to replace the solenoid but not repairing wiring. First soldering iron (battery powered) couldn't do the job (defective or just to weak?). The butane soldering iron did it fast.

Thanks for the support and direction.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Good job! (plus more caracters to be able to post the message!)

Old 05-02-2024, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Update on the P0962 error and repair.

Once we accessed the solenoid area by removing the battery and air cleaner assembly, it was obvious as to the cause.

We spliced in some new wire, heat shrink wrapped the joints, then wrapped electrical tape around the assembly. Also wrapped electrical tape on the Solenoid B connector below.

We also decided to replace the filter but not the Solenoid A.

After some issues with battery level, we got it started and gave it a test drive. CEL and flashing D were gone upon first startup, drivability seemed a bit smoother in the shifting department.

Overall took 5 hours, which includes about 2 hours just getting the necessary wire, solder, and portable soldering iron to do the fix. We were ready to replace the solenoid but not repairing wiring. First soldering iron (battery powered) couldn't do the job (defective or just to weak?). The butane soldering iron did it fast.

Thanks for the support and direction.
Glad you got it fixed. I recommend the Pine64 Pinecil soldering iron if you want a portable solution. Pair it with a good usb-c power bank and it works really well. Popular for in the field drone/quad repairs.
Also what do you believe caused that wire damage? Looks just like normal friction and not some rodent.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Now that you mention it, I agree that it wasn't rodent damage. Now I want to go back in there and put something in to prevent abrasion!

Old 05-02-2024, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Now that you mention it, I agree that it wasn't rodent damage. Now I want to go back in there and put something in to prevent abrasion!
Now I'm nervous what my 09 wires look like