2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 07-09 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
My 07-09 Comparison

I've had my 09 Fit sport automatic for almost a week now. I think I should give some kind of comparison before I forget what it was like to drive my old fit.

Just my Opinions.

Comfort: A lot has been said about the new fit being more comfortable than the old. For the most part I agree. The seat is more supportive, but the headrest is an issue for me as it pushes my head forward a bit. The telescopic steering gives me a better choice of riding position, and the dead pedal lets you spread your feet out. I like the layout of the dash on the new Fit. The audio controls on the wheel are a nice additon. Comfort goes to the 09

Visibility: I just had to add this in here. I don't know what other catagory to put it in. The new fit is like being in a glass bowl (okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but the front windshield almost feels like a sunroof. The small front windows are actually functional now. I always wondered why the small ones were in the old fit. They really served no purpose The old fit had pretty good visibility, but nothing like this. Visibility goes to the 09

Ride: The ride seems much smoother in the 09. It is definitely stiffer, but I assume due to the bigger wheelbase, it feel smoother overall. Ride goes to the 09

Handling: The steering on the 09 feels a little loose compared to the 07. I mainly commute, so I haven't really taken the new one out on any country roads, so I haven't really pushed it all that much. Overall, it seems like some handling has been sacrificed for comfort. Handling goes to the 07

Power: I haven't really pushed the 09 yet as I am still in the break in period. It does seem to accelerate at least as well as my 07 in traffic. The shifting seems like it is a lot smoother in the 09. I'd call it a tie

Looks: I know there has been a lot of "discussion" concerning the appearance of both of these cars. When I first saw the old fit, I thought it sort of a goofy looking car. Once I had one, I kind of got used to it. The 09 is much better looking in my opinion. I know what "ugly" cars look like and the 09 is a very nice looking car (especially in Blue Sensation). Looks go to the 09.

I do not race my cars like some of you guys, and I know many here know way more about the mechanics of the car(s) than I do. That said, I drive over 400 miles a week commuting and have been commuting for 30 years now. I have had over 24 cars since I started driving and the Fit (either one) is by far my favorite.

Name:  2009fit003.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  149.5 KB
Name:  2009fit008.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  139.3 KB
Name:  2009fit004.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  113.4 KB
Name:  2009fit005.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  135.8 KB

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing. I agree, neither Fit is ugly. But the old one has a funkiness, a natural "what the heck is that?" magnetism, that is either not as strong or not there at all in the new one. Who knows, maybe if the '09 had been the first Fit in the US it would have the funk. But the funk goes to the first.

I too do a lot of commuting in my Fit so I'll be interested to see how your opinion of the two cars changes over time. I added a deadpedal to my '08 so the fact that it comes standard in the '09 is a plus. Also the driving position in the '08, uhmmm, well, let's just say I adapted. The telescoping wheel would have been nice too. But the amount of glass? Yikes, the '08 already has too much windshield.

One of the things I really like about the '08 is its relative simplicity. They seem to be moving away from that with '09. Gadgets are nice and all, but there's something sexy about simple. Then again I've added satellite radio and a ScanGauge, so I guess if the right gadgets are included I'd consider that a plus.

Last edited by wdb; 10-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Thanks for sharing. I agree, neither Fit is ugly. But the old one has a funkiness, a natural "what the heck is that?" magnetism, that is either not as strong or not there at all in the new one. Who knows, maybe if the '09 had been the first Fit in the US it would have the funk. But the funk goes to the first.

I too do a lot of commuting in my Fit so I'll be interested to see how your opinion of the two cars changes over time. I added a deadpedal to my '08 so the fact that it comes standard in the '09 is a plus. Also the driving position in the '08, uhmmm, well, let's just say I adapted. The telescoping wheel would have been nice too. But the amount of glass? Yikes, the '08 already has too much windshield.

One of the things I really like about the '08 is its relative simplicity. They seem to be moving away from that with '09. Gadgets are nice and all, but there's something sexy about simple. Then again I've added satellite radio and a ScanGauge, so I guess if the right gadgets are included I'd consider that a plus.
Good points. There are a lot of things that don't fit into catagories that I liked about my 07. That's why I still have it up as my avatar.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by cranky18
Ride: The ride seems much smoother in the 09. It is definitely stiffer, but I assume due to the bigger wheelbase, it feel smoother overall. Ride goes to the 09
There is some mention of the '09 chassis being stiffened, but what I wonder is if the '07/'08 Sports had rear sway bars standard? The '09 does and that definitely tightens things up.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I was very close in getting the BSP sport with Navi but the option was a bit more then what I wanted to spend so I ended up with just the sport A/T.

BSP is my favorite color out of all the fit colors.

Nice Fit by the way....looks just like mine

Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh boy do I agree on the headrests! I typically like to sit fairly straight but if I was to adjust my seat this way in my '09 Sport my head/neck would be pushed forward! This drove me nuts until I relented and reclined my seat back. Then of course I went too far so my neck was ok but my back uncomfortable. Took me a good while to get the seat just right. I know the angle is due to the active head restraints but surely Honda could have designed them to NOT bop the driver in the head if the seat is upright!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
What is the break in period on the Fit?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
What is the break in period on the Fit?
I've heard conflicting information on this. I am just kind of going with 600 to 1000 miles.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the report and pics.

You said the ride is smoother, but stiffer? What do you mean?

I'm really curious about the steering differences btwn the 2 as you mentioned. I remember the 07-08s steering to FEEL quicker (though it's 0.1 slower) or more responsive, such that quick evasive pothole maneuvers were done telepathically. My 09 doesn't have this.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Thanks for the report and pics.

You said the ride is smoother, but stiffer? What do you mean?

I'm really curious about the steering differences btwn the 2 as you mentioned. I remember the 07-08s steering to FEEL quicker (though it's 0.1 slower) or more responsive, such that quick evasive pothole maneuvers were done telepathically. My 09 doesn't have this.
On the 07 I felt the road more. It may have been the tires but when you were on chip seal or rough concrete, you could feel the road more (rough). I don't enough about the geometry of the suspension to give a good explanation of why the car is "smoother, but stiffer" but It could have something to do with the fact that the body structure is stiffer and the suspension has changed.

The steering to me on the 09 feels a little looser. Did you have an 07? I don't have mine anymore, so I can't go between them to get a better explanation. I am going on what I remember from the 07.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Fit difference

I agree with all the comments. I think it's almost like an EG6 & EK9 comparison. It just depends on the taste of the driver.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
On the 07 I felt the road more. It may have been the tires but when you were on chip seal or rough concrete, you could feel the road more (rough). I don't enough about the geometry of the suspension to give a good explanation of why the car is "smoother, but stiffer" but It could have something to do with the fact that the body structure is stiffer and the suspension has changed.

The steering to me on the 09 feels a little looser. Did you have an 07? I don't have mine anymore, so I can't go between them to get a better explanation. I am going on what I remember from the 07.
My dad has an 07 Sport, and it's been almost a year since I've driven it, so I'm going from memory as well.

But I notice my 09 sometimes on the freeway has a choppy ride. I don't know if the outgoing Fit had this characteristic

Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pokems23
I agree with all the comments. I think it's almost like an EG6 & EK9 comparison. It just depends on the taste of the driver.
What's EG6 and EK9?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
My dad has an 07 Sport, and it's been almost a year since I've driven it, so I'm going from memory as well.

But I notice my 09 sometimes on the freeway has a choppy ride. I don't know if the outgoing Fit had this characteristic
No, I don't think so. There is an area on my way home that feels really weird. At first I thought there was something wrong with the car. The road in this area is concrete, but there are "ripples" in it. In my truck I do not feel these, but in the Fit it vibrates, not to the point of discomfort, but it's there. I don't recall the same feeling in the old Fit.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
What's EG6 and EK9?
Old Civic hatch chassis code.