2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Fitters: do you wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
Atlanta Fitters: do you wash your car?

I'd like to wash my new Fit by myself but I believe there's water restrictions due to the drought in Atlanta. I checked Cobb county website but can't find any info on car washes at home. Do you guys wash your car at car warshers or at home? Which car washer is safer? I have only washed my last car once in 3 yrs so I definitely don't want to do the same to my new Fit.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Not in the area, but it would be one of the dumb things if it was. Unless one was totally wasteful, washing a car really does not use that much water. A long shower easily uses more water than washing a car... as there is constant water running in the shower while you only wet the car, then rinse the car later, and do that a section at a time starting from the top.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
ATL - Truly Dirty Dirty

Per the website: Georgia EPD - Drought & Water Use Information most of the counties in greater metro Atlanta are still under a level 4 drought. Based on the site attached, we are not allowed to use outdoor water unless we are in a level 2 county.

Personally, I pay a guy $10 who comes to my office to do it. He does a good job, it saves me time (time is money), and i dont have to worry about getting nicked for a huge bill. At one point on the news I believe the fine was $1000 and repeat offenders could spend a night in jail.

I like my fit, but Im not going to jail for it.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
I have washed mine behind the house, but only a couple of times, usually before I wax it. I used to wash at least once a week, but the times they are a changing. I used a car wash for a while but the blowers at the end were delaminating the rubber strips at the top. After it sits outside in a hard rain I'll occasionally dry it off CAREFULLY in the garage.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Awww, just stick a 5 gal. bucket in yer shower for a week and toss 8 oz. of Simple Green into it when it's near half full...

I believe I managed to use about 1-2 gallons of S.G. based wash to scrub my Taffetta White Sport and then just a sub-3 min. blasting with a spray wand (behind the house, for discretion) to rinse it off. Felt a wee bit guilty doing it, but I'm uninclined to pop $15 for a decent wash ever few weeks.

-Baz

Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I got my fit about a month ago and have not washed it.......poor thing. I just do not understand the concept of this not being able to wash your car thing.

You have to drive yourself to a car wash, pay for the water usuage and then drive back.

Here is my concern/problem:
1. My problem is you have to waste gas to go to the damn car wash.
2. Waste hard earn money to wash your beloved car. Car wash use more water then you might because it's timed and you cannot shut it off.
3. Waste more money to drive back to your house.
4. Waste your time going back and fourth to the car wash.
5. Car wash owner smiling taking your money because he/she know you have to go to them to wash your car(s).

That to me is absolute BS.

Don't know about you but I will have to sneek in a wash this month because I cannot stand my car looking so dirty. Need to take care of my baby.

Last edited by WWLI; 10-28-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
no diy places over there?

i go there since it's pressurized water.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think there's any DIY places here. If someone finds one please post it here. Another reason against commercial car wash is that I don't trust those big brush thingy - may damage the paint finish. Am I paranoid?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
OMG. I guess none of you heard about Optimum no rinse and wash. It safe for the car finish and doesn't remove the wax or and protection left on your car like APC (Simple Green). You don't need to used a hose to wash your car. Just one 5 gallon bucket and a mitt is all you need.

And if you want to leave a swirl-free finish. Then used two 5 gallon buckets with grit guards. Also ONR has been out for some time. Its nothing new.

YouTube - ONR Demo

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by WWLI
I got my fit about a month ago and have not washed it.......poor thing. I just do not understand the concept of this not being able to wash your car thing.

You have to drive yourself to a car wash, pay for the water usuage and then drive back.

Here is my concern/problem:
1. My problem is you have to waste gas to go to the damn car wash.
2. Waste hard earn money to wash your beloved car. Car wash use more water then you might because it's timed and you cannot shut it off.
3. Waste more money to drive back to your house.
4. Waste your time going back and fourth to the car wash.
5. Car wash owner smiling taking your money because he/she know you have to go to them to wash your car(s).

That to me is absolute BS.

Don't know about you but I will have to sneek in a wash this month because I cannot stand my car looking so dirty. Need to take care of my baby.
If you plan carefully and consolidate your trips, you will eliminate #1, #3 and #4.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
If you plan carefully and consolidate your trips, you will eliminate #1, #3 and #4.
Yeah - I dont understand this point, theres no car washes on your normal routes you drive to work/store/gas fillups? I bought mine mid september and have had one wash at a carwash so far...

there are water restrictions round here and i cant pull round the back of my house and im too much of a wuss to break em. =

Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
surviver,

there is a great little 4-bay diy car wash on the corner of lower roswell rd & 120 (roswell rd) just a mile or two east of the big chicken in marietta. it's hidden behind a car repair shop but you can see it from roswell rd as you drive by.

for $1.25 during the first cycle, i can spray off the heavy grit, clean off the big brush (soft bristles btw) really good with the sprayer, then brush down the entire car with the free soap that squirts out of the brush...

on the 2nd cycle for another whopping $1.25, i thoroughly rinse the entire car a couple times, then use the paint protector stuff on last pass. done deal. im there every wknd