2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight replacement / bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Headlight replacement / bulbs?

So i was looking at some other cars today and i really like some of the things they have done with their headlights. One thing that struck my fancy was xenon, but due to DRL, HL, and high beams being on the same bulb i don't know if that would work?

Also do you guys know any place that sells replacement bases or are we pretty much just limited to what we got?

Thanks!

P.S. are we HB2 or H4, one site i visited said we were HB2 but i couldn't find any to buy.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I am in the process of doing a HID conversion.

There are multiple ways to tackle this:
1. Buy an Aftermarket H4 HID kit. (lose your High beams) lots of Glare.
2. Buy a BiXenon HID kit for H4, (keep both low and high beams) minimize glare (I think)
3. Buy Casper D2S adapters and run OEM D2S or newer D4S bulbs and oem ballasts. (more costly and still lose High beams)

I am leaning more towards option 3 and newer D4S ballasts and bulbs, but harder to find and more expensive.

Either option you go with you will need to disable the DRL, pull fuse 15 from under dash (is what I heard).

H4 HB2 9003 are names for the same bulb.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey thanks for the super fast reply!
I noticed on option 3 you said oem ballasts, does that mean they are already in the car or somthing i buy from say honda?

Thanks again

Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd like to suggest that you do some reading before chosing to go the HID kit in halogen housings route...
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

There's also some threads in the Fit Lighting forum that could be illuminating...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-horrible.html

Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by cpt.joo
Hey thanks for the super fast reply!
I noticed on option 3 you said oem ballasts, does that mean they are already in the car or somthing i buy from say honda?

Thanks again
don't buy from dealer, they are crazy expensive. I meant OEM as in OEM in other cars.

The ones I've been looking at are slim type (newer) ballast made by Denso Koito Japan, who makes them for 2006+ Lexus IS, GS, etc. look on ebay you will see what I mean.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Those 2 links have somewhat turned me away from hids haha. Anyone reccomened any decent (brighter then stock) halogen headlights that can do drl,hl, and brights?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
PIAA makes great bulbs, have them on my motorcycle and snowmobile

Old 02-27-2009, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
so who is doing retrofits for the ge's then?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cpt.joo
Those 2 links have somewhat turned me away from hids haha. Anyone reccomened any decent (brighter then stock) halogen headlights that can do drl,hl, and brights?

Thanks
There is no brighter than stock bulb, other than HID conversion. A 55/65W bulb is a 55/65W bulb. One can't get anymore light out of it. You should know by now, if you read Stern's articles.

There are blue tinted bulbs that give a perception they are brighter. But they are not.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I have Osram Silversrtars (NOT the Sylvania Silverstars). These are good bulbs, are brighter than factory bulbs, and are plug and play. These are European and not the same as the (US) domestic Sylvania Silverstars (which suck). The '07-'08 Fits use size H4, not sure about the '09s.

OSRAM|Consumer|Automotive Lighting|Products|Headlights|SILVERSTAR|index

http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/.../osr-ss-h4.htm

Last edited by spreadhead; 02-27-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
You can try H4 NightBreakers from Osram or X-treme Power from Philips. I've tried both and were the best sets I've ever used.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
HID Addict
Theres more than one forms of HIDs, another option, is bulbs that are filled with Xenon gas, this does give a brighter effect, but of course, not as bright as the true HID lights (the ones that need balast and blah blah :P ) You do realise, DRL means daylight running lights, thats the amber light that is ontop the headlights. I changed mine to LEDs, as you can see in my sig. i recomend buying your xenon lights from automotivelightingusa.com and if you want to put LEDs anywhere on the car, i recomend superbrightleds.com . The good thing about automotivelightingusa.com is that they give you a flat rate shipping, 2-3 days or something like that for only $5, for one pair or two. on my car, currently i have 7000k fog lights and headlights, which i was able to keep my high beams and 8500k LED DRL (i would have went with 7000k DRL but they don't make those) as well as 8500k platelights, all of which that give you more lighting than your OEM set up. keep in mind, theres a good chance you might have people flashing at you, i remember when i got mines, people were flashing at me and i didn't even angle it up yet that's how good it is hehe

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
Theres more than one forms of HIDs, another option, is bulbs that are filled with Xenon gas, this does give a brighter effect, but of course, not as bright as the true HID lights (the ones that need balast and blah blah :P )
Xenon-filled bulbs are not another form of HID. They're simply a halogen bulb, all of which have inert gas mixtures, which the marketers tack "Xenon" on to make people think they're somehow HID-like.

You do realise, DRL means daylight running lights, thats the amber light that is ontop the headlights.
Maye the pre-09's are different, but on the 09's, the DRL is the headlight high-beam filament. The bulb at the top of the light is the parking light.

i have 7000k fog lights and headlights
You do realize that blue bulbs are actually worse for the intended purpose of FOG lights, minimize reflection and glare during fog and inclement weather?

keep in mind, theres a good chance you might have people flashing at you, i remember when i got mines, people were flashing at me and i didn't even angle it up yet that's how good it is hehe
That's how GOOD they are?! Seems if people are flashing their lights, at you, that should tell you something.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by txmatt
Xenon-filled bulbs are not another form of HID. They're simply a halogen bulb, all of which have inert gas mixtures, which the marketers tack "Xenon" on to make people think they're somehow HID-like.

Maye the pre-09's are different, but on the 09's, the DRL is the headlight high-beam filament. The bulb at the top of the light is the parking light.

You do realize that blue bulbs are actually worse for the intended purpose of FOG lights, minimize reflection and glare during fog and inclement weather?

That's how GOOD they are?! Seems if people are flashing their lights, at you, that should tell you something.
HID = High Intensity Discharge
i know what your thinking, and until someone told me wat HID means, i thought it was just halogen hehe

oooh 09? sorry, thought it was 07-08 -shrugs-

the fog lights are just for looks there not that much worse compared with the OEM fog lights in severe weather conditions

"thats how good they are" as in thats how bright they are bright enough to disturb the oncoming drivers

Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I think i'm gonna try to pick up a pair of those osram silversters (i hope i can keep the DRLs,HL, and brights) as you can tell i don't know much about lighting so i don't know if the halogen bulbs need to be a special type to support all 3 lights.

What color do you guys reccomend for foglights (helping visibility not for looks)

Thanks

edit* When i remove the bulb from the housing do i have to do anything special to prevent moisture from getting in?

Last edited by cpt.joo; 02-28-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
I'd like to suggest that you do some reading before chosing to go the HID kit in halogen housings route...
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

There's also some threads in the Fit Lighting forum that could be illuminating...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-horrible.html

I think that the GE's are a little better than what these videos show...I installed a 55W 8000k HID kit on my GE and adjusted the headlights and I dont have as much glare as those videos show...This pict is just after I adjusted them up...